Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cro & CORE Website

Options
  • 17-10-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Sorry now I know this is going to seem like a very stupid question but well I have to find out somehow.

Basically I was looking into starting up a business now, I really don't have a clue but have to learn somehow, i have the idea of what i want to do, and how im going to do it but I figured I would register the business name first because I think i thought of a really good one so I don't want someone else getting it. Though now this could have just been my imagination but I thought when i was looking on the website there was two things i would need to do. 1 Register Business Name and 2. Register the Business.

I just had another look at it and it says register a company is that a totally different thing or is that what I need to do once I have the business name registered. Or can you just start trading as soon as you have the business name ... Its a service I plan to offer so its not like I would be not be selling products or have a premises, I plan to do it from home to begin with. Im just totally confused now. Can anyone tell me what is the next thing I need to do after i have the name registered! Is there anything else I need to register? I know I have to register as a sole trader but i have not done that yet as I will only be posting the signed declaration monday for the name to be registered and can't start doing that until I have the name registered

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

no need to reg as a company, just reg as a sold trader and reg for income tax(nonPAYE) you don't even have to reg a business name but you will need it if you want a .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was told by cro.ie that registering a business name is the same as registering as a sole trader

i did this last week and am waiting for my cert of business to arrive so i can open a bank account

after that gets here i can open the account and register for vat number and non paye income tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

ah rite I see I just thought that the business name actually being registered would seem more professional so I said I would do that first!! It has some questions in the sole trader application form like when did the business activity commence....but shur i havnt done any yet and it wants me to put in a date ... what do i do there... to what date will annual accounts be made up??? and its asking me about registering for Income Tax....Im a student I have no income apart from what i get from the parents and occasional casual work .... arg its so confusing.... Think I might just ask one of my lecturers or parents help me with filling in that form out

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i was told by cro.ie that registering a business name is the same as registering as a sole trader

i did this last week and am waiting for my cert of business to arrive so i can open a bank account

after that gets here i can open the account and register for vat number and non paye income tax

Ya you see, i think that i will open a business account but i dont think i will register for vat because I have mostly everything i need for starting up apart from costs for site hosting and a bit for advertising which i plan to fund myself because if it doesnt work out i don't want to be left with a load of crap to sort out!!

It has some questions in the sole trader application form

maybe im blind but i couldnt actually find a sole trader app form anywhere or at least not one that was called that thats why i emailed them and they replied with register a business name

if you are trading under any name other than your own you need to register a business as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

ah rite I see I just thought that the business name actually being registered would seem more professional so I said I would do that first!! It has some questions in the sole trader application form like when did the business activity commence....but shur i havnt done any yet and it wants me to put in a date ... what do i do there... to what date will annual accounts be made up??? and its asking me about registering for Income Tax....Im a student I have no income apart from what i get from the parents and occasional casual work .... arg its so confusing.... Think I might just ask one of my lecturers or parents help me with filling in that form out

If you have a shop, you are obliged to have your business name cert on display. It s simple. Just apply online (€20) and wait. It is taking over 5/6 weeks at mo for them to arrive. Another poster said about VAT. If your turnover is below a certain level (different for a service) you do not have to register and I would stay away from that nightmare for as long as possible because your heart will be broken, not to mention your wallet.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/registering-tax.html

There is the link... the sole trader form is the very first one TR1,

I asked my lecturer in college about it briefly inbetween classes on friday and he said that I would have to register as a sole trader, and i asked him, "look if it goes nowhere will i be left with a load of **** to sort out" and he said no.

Ya I have the thing all done I just have to Print out the piece of paper that i have to sign and sent it off with the 20 euro which i will do Monday!!

MAYFIRE
    Thats a bit annoying knowing that it takes so long because that then means that someone could have the name I want in line ahead of me and then will take so long to find out someone has already got that name and then have to think of a different one and start all over! :(
    So I don't HAVE to register for VAT! Thats a relief!!

Thanks for all yer help,

im not sure if it matters if someone else has the name

how many murphys pubs do you see and generic barber shop name here if i understand it correctly they all need to be registered

By the way if anyone has any useful tips they would be greatly appreciated!! I went from getting the idea Thursday night, Friday, ran the idea over with some lecturers and the parents, started the process of registering the business name and here I am now just waiting for the next step! Its a thing of I know it will work if I do it properly and put in the effort, I dont necessarily think it will fail, I think if it doesnt work out it still won't be a complete disaster but I havn't got much to loose and well if I never try its not going to happen!

I think if I had the same name as another business it would matter, for my particular business anyway especially seeing as it is a potentially global business, Im fairly certain I can't open up a cafe and call it mcdonalds! I get where your coming from with the pub name though and it would be the same really with a hairdressers I would imagine things like that but this is a different sorta thing. Hopefully I will get the name! So if i am to put another question to ye.... What would ye say is the best way to advertise a service to business'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Regarding the name with the CRO, I deal with alot of companies who have a different registered name than trading name.

For example, trading name corner shop, registered name Joe bloggs ltd.
    It means that lots of shops can have the same name like murphys pub mentioned above but are registered as something else.

The only time it matters is filing account, they must be titled Joe Bloggs LTD trading as Corner shop.

Hope that all makes sensse and helps a little.

Regarding the name with the CRO, I deal with alot of companies who have a different registered name than trading name.

For example, trading name corner shop, registered name joe bolggs ltd.
    It means that lots of shops can have the same name like murphys pub mentioned above but are registered as something else.

The only time it matters is filing account, they must be titled Joe Bloggs LTD trading as Corner shop.

Hope that all makes sense.

Ah right ok so but would that mean that a business can't trade as a name registered by someone else, as in if one guy has "sweets for all" as the registered business name another fella can't come along and trade as "sweets for all" or can they

I think if I had the same name as another business it would matter, for my particular business anyway especially seeing as it is a potentially global business, Im fairly certain I can't open up a cafe and call it mcdonalds! I get where your coming from with the pub name though and it would be the same really with a hairdressers I would imagine things like that but this is a different sorta thing. Hopefully I will get the name! So if i am to put another question to ye.... What would ye say is the best way to advertise a service to business'

mcdonalds is tradmarked / copywrited registering a business name does not trademark or copywrite your business name

i am new to all this too but the first step i would say would be get a basic website together explaining what you do then have business cards printed up and network yourself sending people to your website for further information

there are websites you can join that are lists of companies that will do things for your business. so say you were a graphic designer, you join the website tell them your details business's go there to look for a graphic designer and yours is one of the names that pops up thats just a simple explanation obviously and im sure there will be people who know way more than me on to answer your questions

5/6 weeks wait for that cert is a pain in the ass tempted to just get started with what i want to now under my personal account and switch everything over when the cert arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Best way to advertise a service or business is to identify where your target market are reachable. It can be a difficult task

What would ye say is the best way to advertise a service to business'
    now this makes it different, i'm currently in the same position and am lookin to supply a product followed up with a service contract to business customers, from my research i'm finding that business owners prefer to deal with VAT reg'd business'. And they deem them as a "proper" business. Also see my thread titled startup Q's on the next page.

the best way to advertise to local business' apart from call.ing in of course seems to be networking through the enterprise boards, and i'm sure(i hope) someone will update with a lot more details/idea's on this as its an area i'm also lookin for more info on myself at present.

yeah well i think what i will do is, not register for the VAT to begin with and if it takes off then do that because i just dont want to get involved with it if I don't have too!

Well as soon as I get the name, I will get the website, plus the handy thing is we are learning html in college at the moment, actually have an exam on it Monday, and I have to make a fully functioning website for a business for the end of the semester so it will kill two birds with one stone but I know that it would only be basic and I think it extremely important for a business' website to look profession and proper .

so I'm hoping my uncle will design me a proper professional website as he owns a graphic design company and they offer website building as part of their service, also hoping he will do it for free.. but we will see. Because I don't want to set up the website with the name I want and then not be able to get it! Yano, or would it be easy to change the name of the website after it is set up does anybody know?

just go onto blacknight.ie an reg your web name, they will then hold it for 28 days until you get a receipt back from cro which is enough to reg a .ie. Sayin that i reg'd a business 3weeks ago and had the cert and receipt back together 8 days later. I popped a 20 note in the envelope so maybe they wait for drafts etc to clear.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Theres some incorrect information floating around here..

Just to clarify for you Ashling, you only need to register a business name if you havent done so already. There is no need to register for VAT if you arent going to meet the threshold and even if things work out and you go over it you can register down the line. As you are just registering a business name it is possible for others to register the exact same name as it is just a trading name. A company is a different matter, there can only be one company name and it can be trademarked.
    Once you send off your application for the RBN get a receipt from them, you can ring them and ask them to email or send it out to you, then contact a hosting company like Blacknight and secure the .ie domain that you want. The receipt is proof enough to secure the .ie domain, while doing so also get the .com domain if its available but you will need the receipt to get them. Obviously while someone else can have the same business name they cant have the same .ie domain so I assume you have checked its not already gone.
    At this stage you can go to your bank and get an application to open a business account, you will need to fill out an application and will need your cert from the CRO when it arrives but you may aswell get the ball rolling now and get the form from the bank.

tombull82 wrote: »
    just go onto blacknight.ie an reg your web name, they will then hold it for 28 days until you get a receipt back from cro which is enough to reg a .ie. Sayin that i reg'd a business 3weeks ago and had the cert and receipt back together 8 days later. I popped a 20 note in the envelope so maybe they wait for drafts etc to clear.

ah right thats handy so I thought it had to be a cheque or a draft, it would be so much easier to give em the 20 squid!

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Theres some incorrect information floating around here..

Just to clarify for you Ashling, you only need to register a business name if you havent done so already. There is no need to register for VAT if you arent going to meet the threshold and even if things work out and you go over it you can register down the line. As you are just registering a business name it is possible for others to register the exact same name as it is just a trading name. A company is a different matter, there can only be one company name and it can be trademarked.
    Once you send off your application for the RBN get a receipt from them, you can ring them and ask them to email or send it out to you, then contact a hosting company like Blacknight and secure the .ie domain that you want. The receipt is proof enough to secure the .ie domain, while doing so also get the .com domain if its available but you will need the receipt to get them. Obviously while someone else can have the same business name they cant have the same .ie domain so I assume you have checked its not already gone.
    At this stage you can go to your bank and get an application to open a business account, you will need to fill out an application and will need your cert from the CRO when it arrives but you may aswell get the ball rolling now and get the form from the bank.

That's fair handy knowing that the .ie definitly isnt gone never thought to check .com .... nope thats not registered either! So who would ye recommend as being a good web hosting site, I need one that will allow for a good bit of space as i want to have a login so customers can have accounts on it and I also would like it to process transactions! The plan was going to be to get someone to set up the site for me but i would like to get that much done before i go asking someone but I wouldnt really know who would be good . I found a few but some had really bad reviews and obviously when is part of your business well, the main part you don't really want to be getting screwed around yano! All ye help is greatly appreciated by the way!

oh just realised there that that blacknight place allows for web hosting and registering of domain names so i spose thats sorted! :D

oh just realised there that that blacknight place allows for web hosting and registering of domain names so i spose thats sorted! :D

Yeah Blacknight is great and can look after all your needs.

Cool stuff thanks a mill for all yer help! I think I will post em the cash as that way it might get processed a bit faster! For registering the business name that is

i buy my domain names off godaddy but not sure if they do .ie's i host with hostgator found them good so far

Advertisement