Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs Trust.

Options
  • 17-10-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi just wondering if any has been to the new dog trust shelter in ashbourne and what was it like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Completely forgot that was opening. Might go see it tomorrow. Pity the website doesn't have any dogs up on it yet, but I guess all that takes time. Will keep you posted if I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

lian81 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if any has been to the new dog trust shelter in ashbourne and what was it like.

Yup I went out the other day. It's amazing, absolutely everything is state of the art. Bigger than I expected. The reception is large open plan with lots of seating and all vistors are allowed visit the rehoming block even if your not looking to adopt. We saw all the dogs and chatted with a member of their friendly staff who told us all about the place. Go and check it out, you won't be dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Had a full tour of the facility the other day and it's absolutely amazing. They have thought of everything, lovely staff, the dogs in the rehoming section are nice and chilled out, not like walking into the pound. I asked a load of questions but they really have it all right down to the DAP collars on the new-comers.

Would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of popping up.

If anyone has any suitable bedding, old duvets, towels etc. I'm sure they'd appreciate it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm heading up to them this afternoon with puppy food that our guy didn't take to. I hope they sell stuff like DSPCA where they make a dontation - then I won't feel guilty for spoiling the puppy! :D

We were up there today. Absolutely amazing set up. We brought two lovely dogs out for walks and were accompanied by the behaviourist!!! Not only do they have an area to walk the dogs but they also have enclosed compounds so you can see what the dog is like running free. We brought our fella along to meet his potential new brother so it was great being able to let them suss each other out away from other dogs. It's all very professional and the welfare of the dogs is clearly the first priority. I felt a bit overwhelmed at first having to fill in forms before we even got to walk a dog but I can see why it would be a good way to deter people from going in with one idea about what they're looking for but then falling for an unsuitable dog...if that makes sense. Would definitely recommend a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

I was out there today with the better half. Very impressive set up. The kennels are laid out really well,and each one of them was spotless. The dogs have bedding and an exit to a run away from the public. The dogs seemed happy and comfortable. The staff are very welcoming and seemed switched on. We met the behaviourist who walked two dogs with us. She really knows her stuff. The attention to detail in everything from the questionnaire to the lay out of the walking area is incredible. We expressed an interest in adopting a hyper crossbred and the staff arranged a meeting between our dog and the possible new dog for us. The behaviourist was on hand and managed the meeting wonderfully. Again,the attention to detail was incredible,right down to removing a toy that the mutts may have fought over. We weren't certain about taking the new lad home just yet,but the staff were very understanding and helpful about arranging further meetings. I'd sent off for my volunteering application a while back and I'm bloody glad I did. I'd imagine working even a few hours there a week would be very educational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I hope they put the dogs they have up on the website. Must call out during the week, sounds like they have a great set up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Let's hope that this will inspire Councils to improve standards in their pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lian81

Thanx a million for all your replys it does sound like a great place and can't wait to visit. does anyone know what the process is of getting a dog.

Whilst we all appreciate the work of the Dogs Trust please don't forget that there are lots of other rescues who's dogs need homes just as badly & who need funds desperately.

It would be a shame if the DT became the place to home a dog from. Yes the facilities are superb but other rescues could be just as nice if they had a spare €10 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Discodog wrote: »
    Whilst we all appreciate the work of the Dogs Trust please don't forget that there are lots of other rescues who's dogs need homes just as badly & who need funds desperately.

It would be a shame if the DT became the place to home a dog from. Yes the facilities are superb but other rescues could be just as nice if they had a spare €10 million.

Although if it becomes 'cool' to rehome dogs from dogs trust, it will allow them to take in even more dogs, and will remind people to look at shelters before they look at breeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Hi folks - I know this is a little off topic but are there any bus services that run to the Dog Trust?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's a bus eireann bus stop just past it but I've no idea what bus goes there - i'd assume one of the ashbourne ones - 103/104?

Discodog wrote: »

This is true but they have a lot more than just their facilities going for them. What you get when you rehome from them is pretty brilliant. We recently rehomed a dog from a pound. The initial fee was very low but then when you add neutering, microchipping and vaccinations on top of that it really adds up. However, with Dogs Trust all of that and more is included in what is still quite a low fee. I know there is an awful lot more than just the initial cost involved in making a decision about a dog but it is certainly a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

namurt wrote: »
    This is true but they have a lot more than just their facilities going for them. What you get when you rehome from them is pretty brilliant. We recently rehomed a dog from a pound. The initial fee was very low but then when you add neutering, microchipping and vaccinations on top of that it really adds up. However, with Dogs Trust all of that and more is included in what is still quite a low fee. I know there is an awful lot more than just the initial cost involved in making a decision about a dog but it is certainly a consideration.

You seem to be mistaking the pound with rescues.

There are a lot of small rescues around the country, the great majority of them run by volunteers and most of them also neuter, microchip and vaccinate dogs before rehoming.

I have nothing but admiration for the Dogs Trust, I have supported them for years, since the days that they were the National Canine Defence League, and I'm delighted they've opened up here in Ireland. Their neutering scheme has really helped the problem of unwanted dogs here. Does anybody know what their policy is on what dogs they take in? Are they taking dogs from pounds, or just strays and cruelty cases?

I hope that they will expand, and open centres all around the country, would be great for the dog population here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Does anyone know where they are taking dogs from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kanine

The dogs come from everywhere, D.S.P.C.A., Dogs in distress, Dunbone pound, Clare, Cork, Louth S.P.C.A, to name but a few but you get the picture. Dogstrust actually help the above mentioned charity's and pounds by helping to relieve overcrowding and also help many dogs from pounds who are due for destruction have a chance of a happy healthy life with a loving caring family. The dogs are to the best of the staffs ability matched with the most suitable people to ensure their chances of a happy life.

Hope this answers your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

kanine wrote: »
    The dogs come from everywhere, D.S.P.C.A., Dogs in distress, Dunbone pound, Clare, Cork, Louth S.P.C.A, to name but a few but you get the picture. Dogstrust actually help the above mentioned charity's and pounds by helping to relieve overcrowding and also help many dogs from pounds who are due for destruction have a chance of a happy healthy life with a loving caring family. The dogs are to the best of the staffs ability matched with the most suitable people to ensure their chances of a happy life.

Hope this answers your question.

Hi Kanine,
    Do you know if they have this information recorded somewhere? I was looking on the website but it doesnt say where the dogs come from. Do you know do they cover the release fees from these pounds? It would just be interesting to know, considering that the dog charity that works with Dunboyne pound has to pay the release fees for any dog that is currently taken out, which is crippling the charity. It certainly is good news if they are relieving charities of dogs though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

As far as I know the Dunboyne ladies don't have to pay the release fee for dogs going to Dogs Trust as the new facility satisfies the Councils requirements to have the fee waived so it's great. Means the badly needed funds raised can go to help the other dogs.

Toulouse wrote: »
    As far as I know the Dunboyne ladies don't have to pay the release fee for dogs going to Dogs Trust as the new facility satisfies the Councils requirements to have the fee waived so it's great. Means the badly needed funds raised can go to help the other dogs.

That's great, I know the release fees are a big burden for the Dunboyne gang, I still think it's crazy that they have to pay the release fee like the general public but delighted that Dogs Trust will be helping them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 afarrell1

Anyone know if there are many small dogs / puppies up there? Am trying Ashton Pound since Thurs and no one answering... mailed Dogs in Distress and no one replied. This adopting a dog is proving harder than I though :mad:

Yup theres lots of little dogs.

They have their own "puppy bloc" which wasn't open to see when I was there but then again I wasn't trying to adopt.

There's lots of small dogs and pups. They should have photos up on their site soon hopefully but try and go up there for a look if you can, they're very friendly. Also, go on to the forum on DID and tell them you've mailed but got no reply, they post on there all the time so someone should see it and help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brfcireland

hi i just wanted to say that the 10 million was all raised or donated by the public, the problem over here is most pounds are terrible prison like places for dogs that the people who run them are in it for the money its just as bad as a dog farm. its the likes of the voulenteer organisations that do the work for free should be praised, the government has to get off their over paid fat asses and see that animal welfare can't keep getting overlooked the laws in this country are a joke dogs need more rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

The new centre is absolutely amazing better than expected am completely speechless and highly reommend visiting it!!! Well done all involved!!! I am thrilled DT has come to Ireland!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I'm heading over in the morning.If you see a dog you like can you take him on the spot?Is there a fee/donation?If it dosen't work out,can you bring him back and try a different one until you find the one that suits you?

bookerboy wrote: »
    I'm heading over in the morning.If you see a dog you like can you take him on the spot?Is there a fee/donation?If it dosen't work out,can you bring him back and try a different one until you find the one that suits you?

God no. It's all far more offical than that, it's a dog not a item of clothing.

In the dog's trust you will be introduced to the dog, take him for a walk, you'll be asked lots of questions, they will visit your home to amke sure it's suitable and there's no exchange programme. It costs around 85 euro as far as I know. The process takes two weeks I think.

hi i just wanted to say that the 10 million was all raised or donated by the public,

And this was raised by the UK so all credit to them for helping us out with an Irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's worth noting that Dog's Trust only look after healthy strays or abandoned dogs - they do not rescue injured or sick animals, instead leave them in the pound to be destroyed.

Although rescuing the dogs is noble, it effectively means that this practise deprives charities which deal with cruelty and neglect cases of their income from rehoming healthy dogs.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Dog's Trust only look after healthy strays or abandoned dogs - they do not rescue injured or sick animals, instead leave them in the pound to be destroyed.

Although rescuing the dogs is noble, it effectively means that this practise deprives charities which deal with cruelty and neglect cases of their income from rehoming healthy dogs.

Are you sure about this ?. If so it would be totally against their mission statement:

"To establish and maintain rescue/re-homing centres for the care, treatment and re-homing, where possible, of unwanted, homeless, stray, ill-treated, injured and sick dogs and to provide a permanent home for life for all those that cannot be re-homed.
    To ensure that no mentally and physically healthy dog taken into the protection of the rescue/re-homing centres shall be destroyed".

Please let me know if you are sure that this is the case & I will raise it personally with their CEO.

Advertisement