Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abrakebabra Rip-Off

Options
  • 17-10-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I was down in Dublin on Wednesday for the match (rip-off at 50e, but that's another story!) . At around midnight I was feeling peckish so I decided to call into Abrakebabra in Westmoreland Street for a small snack. I ordered a veggie burger, a large portion of chips and a coke. The burger was very small, the chips were skinny and served in a foam container, and a 330ml tin of coke. The whole thing cost more than 8e (8.40 I think). I nearly had a heart attack. The same meal at home in Belfast would cost no more than £4.00 sterling. What a rip-off!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

According to their website they don't have any outlets in Belfast so I don't know how your paying £4 up there as you physically could not have.

http://www.abrakebabra.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 James3555

He never said there was any outlets in Belfast. He said for the same meal he would pay £4. Abrakebabra is a complete rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I never realised Abra and the Bagel Factory were associated, they seem to be given their websites link to each other...

And, they're both crap and both a rip off. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

James3555 wrote: »
    He never said there was any outlets in Belfast. He said for the same meal he would pay £4. Abrakebabra is a complete rip off

Well then he can't really compare it as being the same meal. Most burger deals differ in each place. Agree Abra is a rip-off but more to the point, the meals in there are disgusting. Why anyone with tastebuds would go in there is beyond me. Serves him right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

OP, did you not look up over the counter, where those big illuminated signs are with pictures of what the food should look like?

Usually you will find the prices there. Quick tot up in your head for your food and drink. Don't like the price, don't buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Northern Guy

There are no Abrakebabras in Belfast. There was one in Bradbury Place but it closed down many years ago.

My point was if I had gone into any take-away in Belfast I would've got the same meal for around £4.00. I definitely would've been a lot happier If the burger had been more substantial, thicker chips, and if the drink had been poured from the machine and not been given a can.

Yep, even if you'd known ahead of time what the cost was, odds are the size of the meal was going to be a disappointment anyway.
    Still, lesson learned, every cloud etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I definitely would've been a lot happier If the burger had been more substantial, thicker chips, and if the drink had been poured from the machine and not been given a can.

errrr then you'd have been somewhere else not abrekebabra

anyway look at the price first in future its not like its hidden away

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My point was if I had gone into any take-away in Belfast I would've got the same meal for around £4.00. I definitely would've been a lot happier If the burger had been more substantial, thicker chips, and if the drink had been poured from the machine and not been given a can.
    You would not have to travel all the way to the UK just to get a cheaper burger, chips & drink. Last time I was in Mcdonalds & BK you would have got a decent feed on the euro saver menu for £4, €8.40 and you would have been stuffed.

I am sure if you tried you could seek out a similarly overpriced takeaway joint in belfast, and you also would have had the choice to pay or not.

Last time I was in abras I got a massive chicken schwarma & drink for €3.50. Also a can costs them more, they offer the choice sometimes and I always go for the can.

Usually these places have "meal deals" too, I am shocked to see so many people ignore them, like the eurosaver menu. I expect you might have got a "meal deal" on that even if not on the menu, e.g. a 1.4lber meal might have been cheaper, and I expect a 1/4lber would be more expensive than a veggie burger so you could ask to swop. I remember a mate of mine used to get a regular chips, small coke and junior whopper and it costed more than a normal whopper meal, he used to say he did it "since he only wanted that amount", but would be stealing our chips, this was the case for ages until one day I pointed out it costed him MORE for the smaller separate meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have to say I am one of those people who will happily eat in Abrakebabra sober, I am addicted to the chilli sauce, it is expensive yes, I would rather the can than the machine drink but hey I'd have abra any day above mcds or bk. I could go to another outlet and get a cheaper meal, but I wouldnt enjoy it as much, and nowhere does chilli sauce like abrakebabra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Wouldnt eat in abrakebabra after they done me for the 'late night charge' after 12 one night. Sh1t food served by surly staff that is overpriced....pretty much dublin all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hasuki

Crappy food and outrageous prices

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BrandonFlowers

Nevore wrote: »
    I never realised Abra and the Bagel Factory were associated, they seem to be given their websites link to each other...

And, they're both crap and both a rip off. Funny that.

yeah and they've brought o' brien's now which does away with the sh*te quality issue but keeps things over-priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Latro

I was in Carlow Abrakebabra today for the first time.
    I took doner kebeab for 5.20 and I thought it wouldn't be enough so I asked
    for large chips and coke.
    All cost me 10.20.
    The kebab was about half of the size of a chicken roll but 5 euro for chips and a coke really pissed me off.
    I'm quite sure that cup of cola and a portion of chips cost them less than 50 cents.
    Next time I'll stick with my chicken roll.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There are no Abrakebabras in Belfast. There was one in Bradbury Place but it closed down many years ago.

Fair enough, but your hardly comparing like with like

Different companys, different stock and products and different prices :)

Latro wrote: »
    I was in Carlow Abrakebabra today for the first time.
    I took doner kebeab for 5.20 and I thought it wouldn't be enough so I asked
    for large chips and coke.
    All cost me 10.20.
    The kebab was about half of the size of a chicken roll but 5 euro for chips and a coke really pissed me off.
    I'm quite sure that cup of cola and a portion of chips cost them less than 50 cents.
    Next time I'll stick with my chicken roll.
    Well, sounds like they screwed you. Every Abra I've ever been in has had meal deals on doner kebabs at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

i paid six euros for taco fries in abra...
    unjustifiable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I remember getting a fish and chip and drink in Abra in Kildare town one Sunday afternoon. Was severley overpriced I thought and the fish was saturated in grease. They might have got away with it on a Saturday or Sunday night I thought but not during the day. Staff were not too friendly either as far as I recall. Wouldn't be inclined to frequent Abra again in a hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Seriously though..abra and places like that are utter kips and completely overpriced.
    Dont buy food in them..i bet a kebab and a snack box that there's a proper chipper within vomiting distance of them..much better value and far better food imo.

edit..
    I just remembered you cant sit down in a chipper.
    Okay then,if you want it..pay it..otherwise go to supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

Cabaal wrote: »
    According to their website they don't have any outlets in Belfast so I don't know how your paying £4 up there as you physically could not have.

http://www.abrakebabra.com

cant believe u are a mod and you are trolling so much! :eek:

• Advertisement

b4nd1t wrote: »
    cant believe u are a mod and you are trolling so much! :eek:
    Wtf. Disagreeing =/= Trolling. Check your interwebs dictionary prz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We can now expect Abrakebabra's prices to sky rocket now that they have to subsidies all the floundering O'Brien's restaurants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ferfer15

My experience with Abrakebabra was very bad, so I prefere no to go to this places. "Managers" are very rude with staff in front of customers, and if somebody tell them to be polite with staff they can be very rude with you as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'll just link to my last post on this forum! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Can NOT understand how anybody could actually spend money there. Mind you, I haven't eaten there for years, because the last time I did, I swore I never would again. I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is eight years old, open a new thread if you have a legitimate rip-off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement