Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Liverpool ( and Rafa ) done? *Haters Gonna Hate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Muppet wrote: »
    That never happened.

Moyes spent less than Rafa in 05/06 despite selling Rooney for £27 million the season before.

wat was the net spend in sumer 05/06?

i thought it was more than Liverpools that summer, if it wasnt, i apologise.

however my point remains the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Right so, if Liverpool sack Rafa who would be the best replacement....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The King

as a short term solution more than long term

No way in hell I want Klinsmann

What did he even achieve with Bayern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Phil Thompson did a great job when he was in charge for 7 games . I don't know who and i don't particular care but like most Liverpool are going backwards with Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mr Alan wrote: »

i thought it was more than Liverpools that summer, if it wasnt, i apologise.

however my point remains the same.

Half a million less than Rafa's. Your point is not a fair one. you can't make comparisons from a single seasons transfer activity and expect them to be of any use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Guus Hiddink!!!! Give him whatever wages he wants.

Then buy the world class striker to take the burden off Torres. Maybe put in a double bid for Ibramovich and Messi!!!

Kuyt is a donkey so get Ronaldo from Madrid. I just can't comprehend how Rafa can't see the problems at the club and won't solve them.

In our Yank owners we trust!! May we live long and prosper under their ownship and praise their deep pockets

The rumour mill says Martin O Neill, I'm not sure he'd take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Approx £25m. However this was offset by the sale of Rooney the previous season which resulted in a net spend of -(£20m).

Liverpools's was a few hundred thousand more at approx £25.5m for the same season, however they did not have a negative net spend the season before.

In the two seasons (04/05 & 05/06), Everton spent approx £5m, Liverpool £51m.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Phil Thompson did a great job when he was in charge for 7 games . I don't know who and i don't particular care but like most Liverpool are going backwards with Rafa.

Phil Thompson? Give me a break....
    Next!!

why not?

surely you see the point i'm trying to make?

wat about Ferguson, how far did he slide down the table when he was trying to build his Utd team? should he have been sacked then?

• Advertisement

The Muppet rumour mill :D

In the two seasons (04/05 & 05/06), Everton spent approx £5m, Liverpool £51m.

net spends mate.

ha ha like he'd come near our club the way it is at the minute!

MON over Rafa?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

aaronh007 wrote: »
    The King

Elvis ? :eek:

posted this in the superthread forgetting Rafa had a thread of his own!

For all the Pool fans who think Rafa should get the bullet - Who do you think should replace him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bandit12 wrote: »
    No. There is'nt another manager in the world i'd want at the helm. If he get's the investment in players (unlikely) we will push for the league for years to come. I can only imagine what state the club would be in right now if it was'nt for Rafa.

Fans of the current top six wouldn't want another manager at the helm either.

I love the way you make it sound like he's had peanuts to spend. He forked out close to £20m on a guy who missed most of the first half of the season through injury and his right-back - who cost £17m - is being questioned over his defensive frailties. He seems to have lost faith in his left-back based on his team selection today.

Look what Martin O'Neill has had to deal with. He seems to be doing quite alright on a limited budget.

Liverpool realistically only now have the FA Cup to play for and unless they win that it will be no trophies in four years. Baffling how some fans continue to stand by the guy even if it means slagging off their own legends who have the guts to tell it like it is. The guy has taken Liverpool backwards. FACT.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    The King

No way in hell I want Klinsmann

What did he even achieve with Bayern?

I would love Kenny to take over, at any time but.......
    Klinsmann? Awful....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Dan Petrescu is the best new young manager in Europe IMO and has Premiership experience as in player! He's the type of manager I'd like to see there instead of a high profile name like Klinsmann if Rafa was sacked!

This is a very valid point. Liverpool can't afford Rafa's payoff, let alone a decent manager.

Makes you wonder why the American's offered him a new contract though. Was it a stunt to gain curry with the fans? Did they think Madrid's interest was serious and they could cash in on it? It's very hard to believe it was a genuine statement of confidence in Rafa considering what went on the season before and the state of the clubs finances.

FACT.

:rolleyes:
    FFS get over it.....

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Dan Petrescu is the best young manager in Europe IMO and has Premiership experience as in player! He's the type of manager I'd like to see there instead of a high profile name like Klinsmann if Rafa was sacked!

Dan ****ing Petrescu.
    Get the **** out of it...
    Next!!

I would love Kenny to take over, at any time but.......
    Klinsmann? Awful....

If Kenny took over i could only see him doing a Keegan like he did at Newcastle when he went back, bad move altogether.

Roberto Martinez i think would be a good shout but might not have enough experience for Liverpool fans.

why not?

surely you see the point i'm trying to make?

wat about Ferguson, how far did he slide down the table when he was trying to build his Utd team? should he have been sacked then?

Oh I see the point you were trying to make all right, trying to back it up with flawed figures is where you went wrong.

net spends mate.

that was the net spend.

that was the net spend.

christ, thats terrifying, means in he last 3 season our net spend is about 20m :(

Oh I see the point you were trying to make all right, trying to back it up with flawed figures is where you went wrong.

the difference was a few hundred grand :p

send me those spreadsheets i KNOW you have on your desktop! ;)

Fans of the current top six wouldn't want another manager at the helm either.

I love the way you make it sound like he's had peanuts to spend. He forked out close to £20m on a guy who missed most of the first half of the season through injury and his right-back - who cost £17m - is being questioned over his defensive frailties. He seems to have lost faith in his left-back based on his team selection today.

Look what Martin O'Neill has had to deal with. He seems to be doing quite alright on a limited budget.

Liverpool realistically only now have the FA Cup to play for and unless they win that it will be no trophies in four years. Baffling how some fans continue to stand by the guy even if it means slagging off their own legends who have the guts to tell it like it is. The guy has taken Liverpool backwards. FACT.

Didn't O neill spend £25 net in summer :confused:

Anyway OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You can't keep a bad thread down.

christ, thats terrifying, means in he last 3 season our net spend is about 20m :(

I'm going off http://transferleague.co.uk/. They have it down as £40m over the last 3.

Disclaimer: I know some pool fans don't like the figures on that site but they all seem close enough to me. Not enough to significantly skew the figures at least

• Advertisement

If Kenny took over i could only see him doing a Keegan like he did at Newcastle when he went back, bad move altogether.

Roberto Martinez i think would be a good shout but might not have enough experience for Liverpool fans.

Sack Rafa and bring in Roberto Martinez ?

I've read some tripe over the past few years on this forum but this wins hands down.

post of the year in the awards :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

question for you....

when David Moyes finished fourth, ahead of Liverpool. Then that summer had a higher net spend than Liverpool. and ended up finishing 11th the following season, did you think he should be sacked?

I think this answers your question. Compare how much Rafa has spent at Liverpool to what Moyes has spent at Everton. Moyes has done a much better job than Rafa has. Even getting us into the CL was a miracle and the past 2 seasons we have finished fifth as well as getting to the FA Cup final. This with a shoestring budget and you see how well he has done.

Liverpool, with their millions are no closer to winning the PL than when Rafa took over. Useless to watch and without Torres or Gerrard are bottom of the table material. For a supposedly top side to rely on just 2 players shows the type of quality Benitez has brought in. Dumped out of a crap CL Group as well. So ya keep Rafa - he is doing wonders.

I'm going off http://transferleague.co.uk/. They have it down as £40m over the last 3.

Disclaimer: I know some pool fans don't like the figures on that site but they all seem close enough to me. Not enough to significantly skew the figures at least

well, there's your mistake, that sites figures are hugely flawed unless they've changed them in the last few months.

Thats the but, Hate to see that happen.....
    Matinez, meh needs more exp....

Warper wrote: »
    I think this answers your question. Compare how much Rafa has spent at Liverpool to what Moyes has spent at Everton. Moyes has done a much better job than Rafa has. Even getting us into the CL was a miracle and the past 2 seasons we have finished fifth as well as getting to the FA Cup final. This with a shoestring budget and you see how well he has done.

Liverpool, with their millions are no closer to winning the PL than when Rafa took over. Useless to watch and without Torres or Gerrard are bottom of the table material. For a supposedly top side to rely on just 2 players shows the type of quality Benitez has brought in. Dumped out of a crap CL Group as well. So ya keep Rafa - he is doing wonders.

Everton 3 points above relegation.

Best not to compare both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Liverpool, with their millions

What millions? Were broke don't you know....

• Advertisement

1) Everton didnt get into the Champions League.
    2) Its all relative in terms of money spent, both the net spends are not what they need to be if the clubs wanna get to where they wanna go.
    3)Rafa has won trophies and regularly competed among the biggest & best clubs in the world to win the CL. Moyes has not.
    4)Last season without torres & gerrard for long stretches, we came 2nd in the league.
    5)Lyon & Fiorentina are quality teams.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sack Rafa and bring in Roberto Martinez ?

I've read some tripe over the past few years on this forum but this wins hands down.

post of the year in the awards :pac:

If Rafa stays then i'll be happy, as i said don't really care but Liverpool not making top 4 this season will hit them financially and the way Aston Villa and Spurs are going i can't see them getting it.

Also MON would be crazy to take Liverpool over and would be surprised if did should Rafa get the boot or walk.

Everton 2 points above relegation.

Best not to compare both clubs.

Thats 3 points above relegation with probably the worst injury crisis in the PL. Btw just 7 points behind Liverpool. But you are partially right about not comparing the 2 clubs on a par as the financial wealth of the 2 clubs are so far apart.

well, there's your mistake, that sites figures are hugely flawed unless they've changed them in the last few months.

LOL , Seriously AL.

They did actually AL but had to give up their place when some jammy team won the thing.

If Rafa stays then i'll be happy, as i said don't really care but Liverpool not making top 4 this season will hit them financially and the way Aston Villa and Spurs are going i can't see them getting it.

Also MON would be crazy to take Liverpool over and would be surprised if did should Rafa get the boot or walk.

Spurs lost at home to Wolves yesterday :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They did actually AL but had to give up their place when some jammy team won the thing.
    Nay, they got their place, lost out in the qualifiers (to villareal I believe?)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Fiorentina are a far cry from being a quality team! They're 8 in a very weak league this year, miles away from Inter who aren't even quality! They haven't been even close to challenging for titles recenely!

oh dear

showing your football knowledge there !!

Spurs lost at home to Wolves yesterday :confused:

They have lost less games then Liverpool and actually looking like winning, Aston Villa i think will take 4th out ahead of Spurs.

No offence, but I've often heard Pool fans say this yet I've never seen them offer any evidence to the contrary.

I've googled a few names and I've found nothing wrong with the figures. They don't include add ons is the only thing that stands out, but add ons should never be included anyway as they are generally based on conditional income.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Fiorentina are a far cry from being a quality team! They're 8 in a very weak league this year, miles away from Inter who aren't even quality! They haven't been even close to challenging for titles recenely!

i think they're gonna do well in the CL this year if they can keep players. they've impressed me anytime i've seen them this season.
    Nay, they got their place, lost out in the qualifiers (to villareal I believe?)

true.

so they werent in the CL,as i said.

Ya......thats what happend.....

They have lost less games then Liverpool and actually looking like winning, Aston Villa i think will take 4th out ahead of Spurs.

a fair prediction with 22 games left.

I think it will be tight but every team will have a bad run.

No offence, but I've often heard Pool fans say this yet I've never seen them offer any evidence to the contrary.

I've googled a few names and I've found nothing wrong with the figures. They don't include add ons is the only thing that stands out, but add ons should never be included anyway as they are generally based on conditional income.

they have Torres down as 26.5m.

he cost 20m according to the liverpool echo & the bbc, the two most relible sources of LFC transfers.

thats a 6.5m difference on one transfer.

Ok we got to the qualifying stage by virtue of us finishing ahead of Liverpool and then drew Villareal who managed to get to the semi-finals.
    2) Its all relative in terms of money spent, both the net spends are not what they need to be if the clubs wanna get to where they wanna go.
    Rafa inherited wealth by the value of their squad which was worth more than any Everton squad in terms of transfer value.
    3)Rafa has won trophies and regularly competed among the biggest & best clubs in the world to win the CL. Moyes has not.
    Again, Rafa inherited a Top 4 team whose wealth massively exceeds what Moyes inherited. It wasnt even Rafa's team that won (robbed) the CL anyways, it was the team he inherited. Now this is his team and remind me what was the last trophy they won as I honestly cant remember. He has formed a team that cant make it past the Group stages.
    4)Last season without torres & gerrard for long stretches, we came 2nd in the league.
    There was nearly always 1 of them available in a year that saw Chelsea in crisis sacking their manager half way through the season as they were out of the title race by Xmas. Arsenal were also all over the place as were Utd yet they still had the League won by February. It was the lowest points winning title in years with all the top teams under-performing apart from Liverpool who over-performed.
    Lyon are decent but not even the best team in France.
    Fiorentina are a poor side miles off the top in Italy and in Europe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement