Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

watch out!

• 17-10-2009 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

this is my third year in maynooth but it's the first year that i've felt unsafe. i always, always thought of maynooth as a safe place and would gladly walk around after dark on my own without another thought. but i don't think i would anymore!

last tuesday night one of my good friends got attacked by a group of idiots who kicked him to the ground, broke his nose and stole his phone on the way back from o'neills. i also heard that some other people got threatened with knives that night.

a few weeks ago a girl that my friend lives with was walking from the bus stop outside kingsbury to her house in kingbury and got attacked by some guy-luckily a man was passing by and this lead the attacker to flee.

there is also apparently some sort of pickpocketing ring going on too!

so i'd just say to eveyone, be on your guard and don't walk home or let anyone walk home by themselves!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There were six attacks within 24 hours around kingsbury the other day.

Until the cops get them, nobody walk home alone in that area.

Not that you'd hear about this from the college...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

a girl was stabbed in kingsbury the other night too, though this was heard through the grapevine, although i did hear it from one person who due to their position within the college i choose to believe the attack.

And apparently someone got attacked the other night at the barriers just below village that lead to the moyglare road?

As it was i wouldn't let anyone walk home alone anyway before we had even heard about the attacks, better safe than sorry sure, even if its just walking someone from river to rye....now that we heard about the attacks (i heard the same details about the attacks from two widely different sources) there's no chance in hell i'm letting someone walk alone at night

There was a mass text about the attacks going around aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Friend of mine was held up and knife point on the celbridge road the night of the attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I heard about these attacks aswell, did they all happen around 1 or 2am, as everyone was heading home after a night out or did they happen earlier in the evening? I tend to stay pretty late in the reading room/library on Wednesday nights and walk up to the 67a stop on my own around 10ish, dunno whether to feel safe or not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

All I can say is that if you are attacked, even if you fight back or whatever the circumstances, you should report the information to the gardai as soon as possible with as much detail and LOCATION as possible.

I know they tend to do **** all about it if you go the next day but if your lucky enough that they're in that area at that time and see kids matching that description they will confront them at least.

I was followed for two miles in the dark on a country road one night by some guys in a car. They switched off their headlights and drove about an 2 inches from my legs.They would then do various things from revving the engine to putting on full headlights,getting loads of wheel spin and then taking off just bearly swerving at the last second to avoid me.

I wasn't going to run because thats obviously what they wanted, so they could chase me (hahahah...reminds me of the karma police video)
    Anyway, I knew the area so one of the times they past me, i jumped a gate and walked home through the fields.

I didn't report anything at the time because I had a lot of weed on me and a bong and was stoned off my head but it turns out I should have. So the next day I told one of the gards and they said that I should have told them at the time, that they would have come out which is a pity because it went on for about 10-15 minutes.
    But anyway, it just so happened that they recognised the description of the car, caught up with the boys and basically just caused a lot of hassle for them.i.e. push them around searched their car for drugs etc.
    It's not much but it's better than nothing, they do try their best though within reason.

I still think about that night and I had an oppertunity to **** a cavity block into the windscreen, like once I jumped over the gate they came back looking for me, driving really slowly, I could have smashed their car and I really wish I had but I was kinda stoned and a little bit frightened because I didn't know how many guys were in the car.And what happens then if you kill someone?

Being attacked at knife point is a whole other level though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I know there was a girl stabbed in the car park.

Will see if I can get something in The Print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

i don't understand why the college haven't sent an email about this to everyone-they've sent emails telling us all to cop on and not wreck people's gardens and yet they've not informed us of the recent spate of attacks...it makes no sense! most of us won't damage people's property after a night out but anyone of us could get attacked!

walk in groups or get a taxi (they're only €6 to anywhere in maynooth!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

last tuesday night one of my good friends got attacked by a group of idiots who kicked him to the ground, broke his nose and stole his phone on the way back from o'neills. i also heard that some other people got threatened with knives that night.
    !
    Live beside that lad. Sound guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

I always say that maynooth is totally different from dublin in that you can walk home alone in the dark and not worry but i guess not!
    thats scary stuff.
    cant believe theres been no safety e-mails from the college, this is the first ive heard of it and im sure theres plenty others who havent a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Heard a few of these stories during the week, were not sure if they were true though but it seems like the majority of them are. Can not believe we have not been warned about these attacks especially seeing as the Halloween Ball is tomorrow night and there will be loads of students around the town. The college does not even have to mention these attacks in warning us, just tell us to be aware and never walk alone, Also i feel we should have been more warned about going to the train station and bus stop at night, like warning us to take the canal route, seeing as loads of fairly dodgy characters hang out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Its a greenfields problem. the guards know who they are but seem to be doing **** all. two of the ****ers tried to start a fight with us two weeks ago and started waving screwdrivers at us but one of the lads is a local and he knew them from the newtown. dont try to take these ones on they will keep looking for you to cause serious damage. guards are useless so just try not to put yourself in a position where these ****ers can get you quietly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

waaaay back when... in the days of yore I was a newbie little first year in maynooth and there was a campus watch type of thing started where guys signed up and if ANY girl asked you to walk her home you had to (there were several attacks on campus that year so this was a measure to stop girls walking home alone). it was a great idea and not only gave a sense of security (though tbh I'm not exactly in possession of an intimidating physique - unless you happen to be edible, then you'd be ****ting it) but also served as a good way to meet people.

as for gardai not doing anything. People always jump to that conclusion "the gardai know but they cant be bothered". The problem is getting a charge to stick. make the reports to the gardai, even if you think its a waste of time. Chances are, when the gardai have a solid enough case to make an arrest, all the reported offenses will be revealed and added on to the major offense. In all honesty, the gardai in maynooth are quite good and i've always found them to be friendly and helpful (except one guy but he has to be retired at this stage). Assault charges are dificult to move on unless the offender is witnessed , by the gardai, in the act of assaulting someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

LoLth wrote: »
    make the reports to the gardai, even if you think its a waste of time. Chances are, when the gardai have a solid enough case to make an arrest, all the reported offenses will be revealed and added on to the major offense.

+1

Won't believe what i found the other day by the canal...

A used shot-gun cartridge!!!
    Yes i said a used shot-gun cartridge....

Couldn't believe it, like wtf is that doin beside the canal???
    I still very confused about it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Funfair related? Seen kids with baseball bats on Saturday evening up at the canal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Funfair related? Seen kids with baseball bats on Saturday evening up at the canal!

My thoughts exactly. Funfair this time last year, someone stabbed beside the canal.

Effluo wrote: »
    +1

Won't believe what i found the other day by the canal...

A used shot-gun cartridge!!!
    Yes i said a used shot-gun cartridge....

Couldn't believe it, like wtf is that doin beside the canal???
    I still very confused about it all

There's a clay pidgeon shooting club out the leixlip road iirc, maybe someone coming home had a cartridge or two in their pocket and dumped them out as they went along?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

One hero against a group of lads with knives or screwdrivers is just more money for them. the su should organise a meeting point every half hour or so to walk in a group. one of the main things is for the girl not to slag them off and have the lad beaten because of it!

true, one guy isnt going to do much but an attacker is less likely to go for someone in company (at that time there was a rapist on the campus and locals wanted student blood, turned out to be three local teenagers). your meeting point idea is good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

true, one guy isnt going to do much but an attacker is less likely to go for someone in company (at that time there was a rapist on the campus and locals wanted student blood, turned out to be three local teenagers). your meeting point idea is good though.

When was this as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

wow, sounds like Maynooth has really gone to sh1t in the few months since I stopped going there. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I'm not certain but I think that was 2004-2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It's a scumbag town tbh. Just look at the cut of the young ones walking out of the secondary school everyday.

ahem... either 94/95 or 95/96 cant really remember....ahem.... and I'm not old! I'm just wiser than i look....honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    wow, sounds like Maynooth has really gone to sh1t in the few months since I stopped going there. :eek:

<3 YOU were the glue that held this place together!

I always thought that was mud....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's definitely mud....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

waaaay back when... in the days of yore I was a newbie little first year in maynooth and there was a campus watch type of thing started where guys signed up and if ANY girl asked you to walk her home you had to (there were several attacks on campus that year so this was a measure to stop girls walking home alone). it was a great idea and not only gave a sense of security (though tbh I'm not exactly in possession of an intimidating physique - unless you happen to be edible, then you'd be ****ting it) but also served as a good way to meet people.

as for gardai not doing anything. People always jump to that conclusion "the gardai know but they cant be bothered". The problem is getting a charge to stick. make the reports to the gardai, even if you think its a waste of time. Chances are, when the gardai have a solid enough case to make an arrest, all the reported offenses will be revealed and added on to the major offense. In all honesty, the gardai in maynooth are quite good and i've always found them to be friendly and helpful (except one guy but he has to be retired at this stage). Assault charges are dificult to move on unless the offender is witnessed , by the gardai, in the act of assaulting someone.

Meeting new girls and walking them home?
    Win Win, if you ask me.
    Thats a recipe for happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Rozabeez wrote: »
    <3 YOU were the glue that held this place together!

I'm sure the place will recover, with time...

/ delusional smug grin

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

if ANY girl asked you to walk her home you had to (there were several attacks on campus that year so this was a measure to stop girls walking home alone). it was a great idea and not only gave a sense of security (though tbh I'm not exactly in possession of an intimidating physique - unless you happen to be edible, then you'd be ****ting it) but also served as a good way to meet people.

ok..... so in THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEORY this is a great idea........ but as soon as the rapist of attacker hears about this plan... game over- he'll be standing outside mantra asking the girls if they want a lift home!

maybe the SU had reasons for not giving the gorey details about the attacks... the victims probably dont want people to keep bringing it up... Also, all that's going to do it increase paranoia! The only reason that people want the details is out of curiosity and nosiness... Is it not enough to know that people were brutally attacked, so be careful????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

maybe the SU had reasons for not giving the gorey details about the attacks... the victims probably dont want people to keep bringing it up... Also, all that's going to do it increase paranoia! The only reason that people want the details is out of curiosity and nosiness... Is it not enough to know that people were brutally attacked, so be careful????

Now the college are hardly going to release names of the victims are they?! I think they should send an email around. I'd rather be paranoid than get attacked while being oblivious to what's going on. Sad to hear this is happening lately, when I was in college I often walked home alone late at night and felt very safe. Bit silly I suppose, you're not really safe anywhere but I never felt in danger in Maynooth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement