Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seau back for another year

• 17-10-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12118_5626856,00.html

The New England Patriots have persuaded veteran linebacker Junior Seau to come out of retirement for a third time to play in his 20th season in the NFL.

40-year-old Seau has signed a one-year deal with the Pats to add some much-needed experience and depth to a defence that lost leaders Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi to retirement.

Linebacker Mike Vrabel and defensive end Richard Seymour also left New England in trades, but now Seau will return to pick-up a leadership role for Bill Belichick's team.

Seau has been working as a TV host for the Versus network, and it was that company who announced the deal had been completed for the 12-time Pro Bowler to get back into the NFL for yet another season.

"I'm very fortunate and honored to be involved with two class organisations - the New England Patriots and Versus," Seau said in a statement released by Versus.

"I want to thank the management of both for making my return to the NFL with the New England Patriots a reality."

After 13 seasons with the San Diego Chargers and three in Miami, Seau retired for the first time in 2006 but soon signed with the Patriots and played 27 games over two season before retiring again.

Seau broke that retirement to play in the final four games of last season, but once again he has been coaxed back into putting on the pads after completing a stringent physical examination with the team.

"He looked like he's kept himself in shape," director of player personnel Nick Caserio said. "We wanted to make sure, more than anything, from a physical standpoint with the medical information, that he was healthy."

I feel very mixed on this one.....i think he is too slow as stated in another thread where this was brought up as a possibility, and ultimately i was against the idea, but he will provide leadership that is lacking in the defence

does the good outweigh the bad?

opinions please!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055699123

How slow are Sky sports with that story. :D

Dont think he will make too much of a difference other than add experience to our D and maybe strengthen our run stopping a tad. What he does offer is his voice in the defensive huddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

tbh, not sure when sky reported it, didnt really look at the article myself! id already heard, just wanted to provide links and that :)

again apologies about starting a thread for it, just didnt see one and was kinda rushing :D

EDIT: just checked your link TO, that thread was around when it was just rumoured! this is the first one confirming the move right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kryogen wrote: »
    The New England Patriots have persuaded veteran linebacker Junior Seau to come out of retirement for a third time to play in his 20th season in the NFL.

Let's see the media rip him apart Brett Favre style ;)

yeah right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

davyjose wrote: »
    Let's see the media rip him apart Brett Favre style ;)

yeah right
    AFAIK he never actually retired at any stage, not that I have anything against Brett Favre by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In fairness he'd been lobbying to play again for a while. Good veteran presence but I'd have brought in Derrick Brooks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jdivision wrote: »
    In fairness he'd been lobbying to play again for a while. Good veteran presence but I'd have brought in Derrick Brooks.

So would I. Been saying it since the start of the season Brooks would have been a good gap filler.

Advertisement