Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do post grads pay off a loan?...

Options
  • 18-10-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I got a loan to finance my post grad, and deferred payments until January.

I have no idea how i can re-pay this back?? I am not getting any back to education or anything... so now, I am worried. :(

In fact, I am going to see a social welfare officer next week and tell them I cannot finance my year. I told them I am back studying as I was pending on job seekers after finishing a job in July.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

There are usually avenues of earning money available to postgrads in a college: Marking papers, invigiliating exams, giving labs and tutorials are all usually done by postgrads, and there are often other miscellaneous tasks that need to be done, like setting up a stand for open days, that sort of thing. Express an interest in this sort of work. Giving grinds is also a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

pwd wrote: »
    Giving grinds is also a possibility.

I'd be careful about this one, the Revenue Commissioners are now checking newspapers, adverts everything for anyone giving grinds, and they're not just after teachers giving grinds to second level students, but everyone. Read here.
    The other stuff pwd discussed is grand as that's through college authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

El Siglo wrote: »
    I'd be careful about this one, the Revenue Commissioners are now checking newspapers, adverts everything for anyone giving grinds, and they're not just after teachers giving grinds to second level students, but everyone. Read here.
    The other stuff pwd discussed is grand as that's through college authorities.
    Can't see how this would be an issue? The guy has no income so is unlikely to go over the his tax free allowance. His self employed returns in October 2010 would be in effect tax free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Don't worry about tax for the moment. They'll be fine with it, just keep a note of what you earn and fill in a tax return next year. They aren't really interested in some student trying to earn a few euro in college. Most you'll pay is maybe 500 for your PRSI if even that. I'm self employed and went back to college this year, it's a real pain.

And I'd also say don't worry about the Bank too much either. Let them wait, give them what you can, they are charging you for the privilage anyway. Again you won't be the first not to be able to make the agreed repayments, they will be well used to it, don't take any sh1t from them.

Concentrate on the course first...

Advertisement