Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post on Met.ie

Options
  • 18-10-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

http://tinyurl.com/ykeaezb

I'd be nice if Met.ie had a comment facility on their site

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well the user MetEireann did flag that page here, posting a reply there might get a response, or even get a conversation going here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I regularly check "latest weather reports" on met.ie but since the introduction of the new weather stations I'm a bit lost and have trouble visualising their exact locations. Maybe it's there already but if not I think it would very convenient to have a map of Ireland on the side with weather stations marked up similar to the map showing the locations of the buoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Joe Public wrote: »
    I regularly check "latest weather reports" on met.ie but since the introduction of the new weather stations I'm a bit lost and have trouble visualising their exact locations. Maybe it's there already but if not I think it would very convenient to have a map of Ireland on the side with weather stations marked up similar to the map showing the locations of the buoys.

Definitely.

It IS possible to get maps showing the locations of SOME of the weather stations and all of the buoys, but to have a reference map it involves opening new tabs in the browser and it's quite cumbersome.

Met Eireann could easily (and should) provide a small map of Ireland on the "latest weather reports" page showing the locations of the stations as small circles and for them to change colour when your mouse is over the name of the station in the list. Same goes for sea area forecasts and buoys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rougies wrote: »
    Definitely.

It IS possible to get maps showing the locations of SOME of the weather stations and all of the buoys, but to have a reference map it involves opening new tabs in the browser and it's quite cumbersome.

Met Eireann could easily (and should) provide a small map of Ireland on the "latest weather reports" page showing the locations of the stations as small circles and for them to change colour when your mouse is over the name of the station in the list. Same goes for sea area forecasts and buoys.

Good points above. It can be quite confusing looking for a specific report from a specific location. What could be just as handy is if they could section off each station into one of 4 groups, such as one for each province to allow more of an "at a glance" look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I do believe that there is a very exciting new product about to be launched in the coming weeks. It is to be based on google maps also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

There is a map here.

I suggest you send in a comment through the comment box on this page and direct it to the "customer service officer". I'm reliably informed that all comments are read and circulated, even critical ones, especially if they're polite and well-written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

octo wrote: »
    There is a map here.

I suggest you send in a comment through the comment box on this page and direct it to the "customer service officer". I'm reliably informed that all comments are read and circulated, even critical ones, especially if they're polite and well-written.

Thanks, the map doesn't have the new stations marked but I'll try a polite request to the comments page and see how it goes. The "about us" area wasn't an area I would have been likely to check for such a map.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Try googling the places and they will come up - to give you a heads up as to where the actual stations are:

http://www.nuigalway.ie/eci/facilities/macehead.html
    http://www.gurteencollege.ie/
    http://www.sherkinmarine.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The spread of observation stations is rather odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe it's there already but if not I think it would very convenient to have a map of Ireland on the side with weather stations marked up similar to the map showing the locations of the buoys.

Met.ie should stop poncing around and supply their data and locations to Irelands Weather just like all the amateurs do .

It would take about 2 days works for a programmer with half a brain and can be supplied quietly 'as is' with no forecast or warranty .

We get this table every hour but Irelands Weather is much clearer and much more immediate . Fair play to all involved.

Then again the Met could take over Irelands Weather and run it themselves with their vast resources and bandwidth compared to the amateurs , just flag amateuers and professional stations with different colour dots :D

Look at this for example

United_Kingdom-sm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The map section does need updating - I'll renmind our climate section. One of the reasons for the apparent 'odd' spread of stations is that this map just includes weather stations, and doesn't show the airports. More complete maps can be seen from the links at the bottom of the page.

One way to get a better zoom on the location is to copy&paste the lat/long coordinates from the individual station page into google maps.

Advertisement