Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Song Challenges!

Options
  • 18-10-2009 1:03am
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

I was sad to see the challenge threads die out, so let's try a slightly easier version. One Song at a time, one instrument only.

RULES
    Post your difficulty, score, percent, stars, and if possible your streak. Spoiler your score, and don't look at other peoples' til you've posted your own.

--Once you have posted a score, that's it, you can't come back and edit it, neither can you look at the scores of others til you've posted your own. This is to stop people aiming to beat a specific score :)
    --Could you please post your score in the following format? It makes it easier for the compiler of scores at the end of the week.
    D4RK ONION- Expert/ 5*/ 163,492/ 91%/ 287 NS
    -

First up, "I Get By" by Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives on Drums! (Originally on RB1)

Expert-
    205,400--5G*--99%--844NS
    calex71 wrote: »
    NOTE TO ALL POSTERS / READERS HERE:
    Please take part !!!!

This isn't a spitting / measuring of e-penises contest , its just a bit of fun and hopefully (for me anyway) a help everyone improve thing. It could be a great way to discuss the in's and out's of different songs / instruments / mastering different patterns etc etc.

So please feel free to take part and post scores / questions or what ever.

Just look at my pathetic score above for proof that I am shameless in my rubbishness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Good idea to start these again, I'll post my score tonight. Don't think I've ever played that track on drums.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Really?! Oh man, it's so much fun, I love it!

well after playing this a half dozen or so times, it just cements 2 facts

1) I suck at drums :mad:
    2) My patience wears thin VERY quickly when playing said drums.

I really need to spend an epic amount of time bringing this part of my game up to a respectable level.

That said this song had a (to me at least) very tricky snare on the offbeat which took a bit to adjust to. And it a little bit of an endurance effort.

Id do a drum roll for my scores except ..........

Expert : fail @ 4%
    Hard : rode the red till i failed @ 30%
    Medium :
    76% 46,525 183ns
    :o

Don't worry, I'm sure Cedom will be in to, eh, dominate me at some point. It is a very odd disco beat, the bass can be particularly trick. You can get me back when a guitar challenge comes up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I have no pedal atm because I got some real drums :D

• Advertisement

Poor show Cedom, poor show!

there are real drums now :eek:

pfff real world stuff, is there anything it doesn't ruin :D

if I have time tomorrow I'll put the pedal back together to post up a score.

That's the spirit! My score awaits your challenge ;)

mc gyver style / A-Team (plan coming together style) :D Loving it Cedom

NOTE TO ALL POSTERS / READERS HERE:
    Please take part !!!!

This isn't a spitting / measuring of e-penises contest , its just a bit of fun and hopefully (for me anyway) a help everyone improve thing. It could be a great way to discuss the in's and out's of different songs / instruments / mastering different patterns etc etc.

So please feel free to take part and post scores / questions or what ever.

Just look at my pathetic score above for proof that I am shameless in my rubbishness :D

• Advertisement

Well said Calex. I do hope the regulars here aren't perceived as Elitist. We want nothing more than for more people to get involved. Any one who wants advice on any section, just ask, we're not going to sneer at you, this isn't youtube!

Stickied for maximum exposure

Come on guys/gals, get those scores in!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Hard
    168025, 98%, 464NS

That's the spirit Beaver! And a nice note streak too!

Keep those scores a comin', we'll say deadline is saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Tried it on expert. Think you have to start the roll with your left(if your right handed), and I'm not used to that yet.

Not the way I do it anyway- A short Guide to playing "I Get By- on Expert"

-The Roll- Start the roll on your right hand, and go R (red), L (red), R (yellow), L (red) Repeat. Essentially you're alternating your right hand between red and yellow every second beat, and your left hand plays the offbeat on red.

-The Pedal- The pedal is easily the toughest part of this song, as the roll is actually at a fairly easy going pace once you get into it. To practice the pedal, I suggest practising the chorus in practise mode for a bit first, as it uses the same pedal beat without the roll. It alternates between between single and double hits.

-The Slow Part- The slow part is fine until it starts speeding up. You will probably have a bit of OverDrive going into this section. don't activate it twice (I find it's easiest to do this by doing a normal fill then finishing with a blue, keeps you on beat), and on the third chance, activate it. You need to be careful, because this is where the song swiftly starts to pick up pace again, and if your fill was messy, you may lose the beat. Watch the notes more than the music til you can get back into it.

Hope that helps!

Time for a new song yet????

If I may I suggest - Rise Against - Give it All from RB2 on Guitar

Not too easy not rock hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I'll try and make sure to remember to do this tomorrow. If you want to choose a new song I'll try both ;)

Nope that sounds great. Don't mean to sound shill-ey, but do try to get people you know to get on this! The more the merrier!

Round1-Drums!
    I Get By:
    D4RK ONION- Expert- 205,400--5G*--99%--844NS
    Bobalicious93- Expert 195,625 99% 5* 1030 NS
    ParalysedBeaver- Hard 168025, 98%, 464NS
    Xbox Gamer- Medium 4* 84,925 88% 190NS
    Calex71- Medium- : 76% 46,525 183ns

This week, Rock Band 2-
    Rise Against - "Give it All" on Guitar

Rules

My score will be in tomorrow

Guess I'll go 1st to post a score this week, anyone else have trouble with the green + yellow chord in the 1st verse :mad: can never seem to nail it, did a few runs of it most other problems seemed to involve an over strum or 2 breaking my combo, and missing an over drive section.

I did get a new PB though breaking my old one by 20k so im pretty pleased.

Score: Give it all - Expert Guitar
    165,081 97% 331ns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Ok, got myself a new BIAB today (Cheers D4RK), so here goes:

I Get By, Expert Drums:
    Score: 195,625
    99%
    5*
    1030 NS
    Dammit, I would have had it, but I used the Overdrive one opening too early in the slow bit.

Give It All, Expert Guitar:
    Score: 187,346
    98%
    5G*
    425NS
    I can do better than that, but I don't particularly care for the song, so I wont :D

Fairly chuffed with this score, took me about 6 'go's not including rage restarts :P Expert Guitar and no peeking 'til you've posted a score!
    Expert--215,746--5G*--100%FC--854NS
    Get those scores in, from easy to expert, we don't care!

If anyone wants tips in the same vain as the "I Get By" ones, ask, only too happy to help and feel like I'm actually doing something here in my capacity as mod!

(Good scores lads, and nice work on "I Get By" Bobalicious, you nearly had me ;))

/ Shakes fist at that score :eek:

the green and yellow chords in the 1st verse always feck's up my alt. strum rhythm for some reason. :confused:

I'm going to try this again after I've had some liquid refreshments

Hmmm, while it generally against the rules to switch your score now, my one is so awesome, that I'm going to allow it ;)

2 tips:
    1. This was actually my second FC, got my first one on go 4. In my first FC I used an awful Overdrive path and my 3rd go ended up being better, despite having broken my combo in it. Choose your OD path carefully, try to have your OD used or 1/4 full going into the slow down on the song, then save it up til you get out the other side. Turn it on just as he goes "WE GIVE IT AAAAAAAL"

2. That part you're having problems is certainly difficult. numbering your fingers pointer (1) to baby (4), use 1 and 3 exclusively, sliding 1 between green and red.

cheers for that , I think my OD path is possibly the same as yours
    Ill use it straight away as there are more notes there in the verse as opposed to the chorus i think, and the bit you mentioned is the single note streak at the end? I'm using a 3/4 full OD bar at that point. I think part of my problem is im alting 1/3 and 2/4 for example and lifting to do that and not sliding for fast sections like that

I don't care about posting another score just this one has been bugging me for ages.

Edit: for those who are interested in aiming for gold on this the cut off is
    178k approx

Sliding is definitely more helpful for this song imo, switching is just too prone to combo dropping. Keep at it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

Didn't get a chance to post this over the weekend.

I Get By:
    Medium 4* 84,925 88% 190NS
    Took a while just to finish it. Tried it about seven or eight times cause I couldn't get my hands right after the song slowed down and always failed with about 15% to go.

I cant find the new song, Give It All. I've checked again and again and I can't seem to find it in RB1, RB2 or in the music store. Can anybody help my stupidity? :o

xbox gamer wrote: »

I Get By:
    Took a while just to finish it. Tried it about seven or eight times cause I couldn't get my hands right after the song slowed down and always failed with about 15% to go.

I cant find the new song, Give It All. I've checked again and again and I can't seem to find it in RB1, RB2 or in the music store. Can anybody help my stupidity? :o

sort by song alphabetically in quick play the band is rise against ( a great band at that ;) ) It's a rock band 2 song.

Edit: and a big thanks for taking part Xbox Gamer, / shakes fist at you beating me on last weeks drums :D

xbox gamer wrote: »

I Get By:

Good man Xbox Gamer, good score!
    Are you sure you've got it unlocked? If not, do the guitar challenges in career mode, that should unlock it I think or you could check all the venues in career mode that might have it as a single song. If you find it, play it to unlock it.

If that sounds like too much work, go to
    main menu>options>modify game>enter cheat>Red, Yellow, Blue, Red(2), Blue(2), Red, Yellow, Blue
    That should unlock all songs. Not sure if you'll be able to save the game afterwards, but it you'll be able to play the song

• Advertisement

Give It All Expert:
    211,846 6G* 100% 854ns

There you go Calex :P

Advertisement