Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oslo bar self brews

Options
  • 18-10-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Anyone tried yet? What you think? I liked the ale, great potential but it needs a bit more time to carbonate I'd say. Not so much on lager, left an awful taste in the mouth!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

franj wrote: »
    Anyone tried yet? What you think? I liked the ale, great potential but it needs a bit more time to carbonate I'd say. Not so much on lager, left an awful taste in the mouth!

I tried the ale, but didn't like it as it tasted like treacle to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

somebody told me it was €4.95 for the self brew lager.... and if it is it can go and ****e!

It's not as if they have massive overheads, big marketing departments and international distribution networks to maintain.

€3.50 is the max they should be charging for the home brew.

Having said that i've eaten there twice and the food is very nice and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

McTigs wrote: »
    somebody told me it was €4.95 for the self brew lager.... and if it is it can go and ****e!

It's not as if they have massive overheads, big marketing departments and international distribution networks to maintain.

€3.50 is the max they should be charging for the home brew.

Having said that i've eaten there twice and the food is very nice and reasonable.
    They don't have the benefits of economies of scale either. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Had the lager and found it quite nice actually, strange at first but it really started to grow on me (the 5 or 6 free pints probably helped though...).
    I was talking to one of the barmen and he said the reason they're charging €4.95 is that it's 5.8%.
    Also agree with the food being very nice and reasonable. Those chicken strips were delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I was talking to one of the barmen and he said the reason they're charging €4.95 is that it's 5.8%.

What does that have to do with the price :confused: Is there some relationship between alcohol percentage and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Yup, there often is. Check out the price lists for Bierhaus and Salthouse (the likes of Duvel, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

More bang for your buck means more bucks can be charged ;)

Anyway, price is related to what the market will pay, not cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I don't know what the limit is, but if a beer/cider goes above a certain alcohol percentage it become subject to a hefty dose of extra exise duty.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Yup, there often is. Check out the price lists for Bierhaus and Salthouse (the likes of Duvel, for example).

and then check the price list behind the bar in the oslo... slight price hike in there.. even though the food is good and reasonably priced..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

The Ale is a good pint. The fish pie is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The lager is quality. But too expensive (was getting a load free on the opening night).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

I tried the lager a few weeks ago and thought it was muck. A warm can of bavaria would have been better. The ale is good though. Nice and creamy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Do they have the regular beers/ciders in there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

4.95 is waaay to pricey for the home brew. Only had a sip of their lager, nothing to write home about:) Nice spot, very friendly, looking forward to trying their food, nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Decided to give the food a try....

The food itself was fine, but I found that the Thai Green Chicken Curry was overpriced for what you got at 13euro.

What p1ssed me off a little was that we were charged 50c for a dash of blackcurrant. I have no prob with them charging for it if it's all you're drinking, but between food and a pint I left almost 30euro there...not cool!

Nothing special tbh, but I say this because of the price, not because the food isin't to an acceptable stanard. If the curry was more reasonably priced i'd have been much happier (however the chicken goujouns at 8euro was fairly priced imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Had the chicken goujons yesterday, great value for 8 quid. Nice quality chicken too, not the usual rubbish you can get in some places. Had a pint of Krombacher too, yum yum yum. Couple things I don't like though are the fact there are no stools along the bar and the paintings for sale. Is it a pub or a gallery? Staff were very friendly though, I hope it does well, Salthill needs another pub to match Krcma (one of the best pubs in Galway imo).

Yeah thought I should add, eventhough I wouldn't be in a rush back there, the staff were very friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I don't like the mismatched delph. I know they're trying to be kitsch and cool and all that jazz, but seriously, it's like they raided the houses of 100 grandparents for their delph, and most of it deserves to be thrown in the bin. It almost puts you off the food to an extent. Regular delph would look so much better. Not a bad spot tho all told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Didn't charge me for my blackcurrants that night, johncleary:)
    But it could vary from staff to staff night to night.

Didn't charge me for my blackcurrants that night, johncleary:)
    But it could vary from staff to staff night to night.

This was during the day when ordering food.

Lady serving us food, tall lad with a shaved head at the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I was there for the launch night. I quite liked the lager, although I can see that it won't be to everyone's tastes. I can't really comment on the ale as I only had one pint of it that hadn't been properly carbonated due to the delays. My one misgiving about the place was that the beers seemed to be pricey in general. While €4.95 may be quite reasonable by Irish prices for a strong beer, I don't think that it's a good marketing idea to have a microbrew that costs that much without people realising the strength. I only drank their brews while I was there but looking at their price list most beers seemed to be a little on the pricey side even by pre-recession standards.

Advertisement