Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5 won't clock higher than 4.04GHz, I are be Sad

Options
  • 18-10-2009 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

So, I got my shiny new i5-750 and Gigabyte P55-UD3 and got to work tweaking the little devil, and to my slight disappointment I can only get it to a 4.04 GHz (202*20) Clock.

Load temps never go above 62C, and the current VCore is at 1.360, but even when I up the vcore to 1.5 and the VTT to its highest "white" setting :eek: it still refuses to post with 203 or above.

Haven't tried lowering the Multi to 19 and upping the bClock yet.

And now a random screencap (at 201*20) to satisfy my Ego :P Working on getting a 24 hour Prime95 test done asap.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I heard the i5s clock speed are linked in to the pci express controller built in thus killing the overclocking ability of them. That's probably what's stopping you going any higher.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Er, hello! You're moaning about an OCd quad in excess of 4GHz. What was that about not looking gift horses in the mouth? ;)

First time you can just go into a shop and buy an Intel quad that can hit 4GHz without having a nervous breakdown. Stop complaining! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Solitaire wrote: »
    Er, hello! You're moaning about an OCd quad in excess of 4GHz. What was that about not looking gift horses in the mouth? ;)

First time you can just go into a shop and buy an Intel quad that can hit 4GHz without having a nervous breakdown. Stop complaining! :P
    i have to agree with solitaire on this one too its a good o/c on the old qauds you would of had to buy a qx chip to reach 4ghz and we all know the price of them be very happy with what you have managed for the price of i5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Oh I know, I am just having sour grapes at the folks able to get 4.2 - 4.5 :D

So, just a mini Update.

I changed my Focus to stabilising my 4GHz OC as best as possible, and started by finding out the lowest voltages I could boot with. Managed to get to 1.264 VCore and 1.29 QPI/VTT. I'm gonna run Prime95 and see if its actually stable :p

But a quick question about Prime95, if I have, say, Only 2GB of Actual Ram, will the Blend test start using my HDD Virtual Memory, thus messing everything up? If so, should I just instead run the Small FTT test to just stress the CPU?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    So, just a mini Update.

I changed my Focus to stabilising my 4GHz OC as best as possible, and started by finding out the lowest voltages I could boot with. Managed to get to 1.264 VCore and 1.29 QPI/VTT. I'm gonna run Prime95 and see if its actually stable :p

But a quick question about Prime95, if I have, say, Only 2GB of Actual Ram, will the Blend test start using my HDD Virtual Memory, thus messing everything up? If so, should I just instead run the Small FTT test to just stress the CPU?
    Try using IntelBurnTest instead. You'll get your stability results much faster.

I've actually heard that the IntelBurnTest is not that reliable.

In any case, I have gotten to work stabilising a 200*20 OC, and so far things are looking good. Vcore is at 1.4 (CPUz Reports 1.376) and my VTT to 1.31, along with a DRam Voltage of 1.6. My 1333 ram is running at 1600 9-9-9-29 atm with no problems so far, though I will be putting it though Memtest to make sure its not gonna fail on me :) Seems that my inability to POST at 210 is possibly a Mobo issue, as a friend with a UD4 Gigabyte Mobo can POST at 220 but it crashes if you look at it funny.

So far 2 Hours with no Errors on the Small FTT test on Prime 95, temps are stable at 63-65. Gonna leave it overnight to see how it fairs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What happened to the 1.264Vcore? :P

Solitaire wrote: »
    What happened to the 1.264Vcore? :P

It BSOD when I looked at it funny :P

I never said it was STABLE at 1.264 :P

Good news though, just passed the 15 hour mark on a Prime95 Blend Test. :D

4GHz (200*20)
    Ram at 1600 8-8-8-29
    Vcore: Set to 1.4, CPUz Reports 1.376
    VTT: 1.31

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

62 degrees at 4Ghz?!? :mad::mad:

I'll have to start using prime95 again, since I started using intelburntest I've been getting up to 85 degrees on full blast at 3.7Ghz.:rolleyes: If MSIs new northbridge thing works out as well as I'm hoping then I may jump on P55 within the year. Maybe I'm just being lazy though, loads of people get my cpu up to 4Ghz on air

• Advertisement

62 degrees at 4Ghz?!? :mad::mad:

I'll have to start using prime95 again, since I started using intelburntest I've been getting up to 85 degrees on full blast at 3.7Ghz.:rolleyes: If MSIs new northbridge thing works out as well as I'm hoping then I may jump on P55 within the year. Maybe I'm just being lazy though, loads of people get my cpu up to 4Ghz on air

Yeah, these 1156 chips run really cool it seems. Though to be fair, I have a Thor's Hammer, with 2x 110 CFM fans on it and Diamond Paste TIM :P

Anyway, the chip was stable for a 24 hour Prime95 run, so I'm content. :D

Advertisement