Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dell XSP 710 is dead, long live my future first ever build (with help ofc!)

Options
  • 18-10-2009 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭

hi all,

today I turned on my Dell XPS 710 (which I got very cheaply in November 2007)
    and it was dead as a doornail. The problem I gather from searching forums etc since 2pm this afternoon is the Motherboard which is kaput, and
    a new one costs 285 quid, apparently they're very hard to find and there's every chance that the same thing could happen again.

So I've decided to ask on this forum for some advice as to what parts I should keep, what parts I should bin, and what I need to buy.

I need at least new case, motherboard and power supply at the very least.

Here are the parts I have:

the memory is 2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Power Supply is a dell 750W with 2 6-Pin Connectors
    the graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
    the hard drive is a Sata 320gb affair
    the CPU is a 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
    and I have a Dvd+/-rw, 16, Hitachi Lg Data Storage, Serial ATA

so can you guys help me, should i keep the processor or buy a new one?
    keep the graphics card or buy a new one?

anyone know what motherboard would be suitable? (most i see are compatible with newer chips only)

any advice would be appreciated

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Ram is more than likely DDR2, Core 2 Duo probably Skt 775, decent enough graphics card. You should be able to use a regular skt 775 motherboard, something like the following:
    On Komplett for example
    And it would simply be a case of transplanting parts and doing a repair to Windows and you'd be up and running again.

Advertisement