Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 18-10-2009 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi, I have spent the last few months looking around the internet regarding this but I haven't found anything very solid so I was told that this was my best avenue.

I play cricket during the summer and am looking for something to keep my eye in over the winter and also by doing so picking up another sport that requires many admirable attributes that I would like to conceive and develop upon. Obviously enough I believe that shooting in various guises allows me to do this. My only problem is that I don't know where to start...I am a 21 year old student in Cork who lives in the carraignabfhear and would be looking for group activity. I know that clay pigeon shooting and target shooting are around the area (Kinsale and Fermoy) but I am not sure as to how I go about starting out so to speak. Any help would be most graciously received.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

There's a clay ground in Dunmanway aswell. I think the Fermoy Target shooting club have some club rifles that they will allow you to use. You can contact them here,

http://www.fermoyrifleclub.com/Contact.htm

I think they met up on Sunday mornings your a bit late this morning but give the a ring for next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

greg-h wrote: »
    Hi, I have spent the last few months looking around the internet regarding this but I haven't found anything very solid so I was told that this was my best avenue.

I play cricket during the summer and am looking for something to keep my eye in over the winter and also by doing so picking up another sport that requires many admirable attributes that I would like to conceive and develop upon. Obviously enough I believe that shooting in various guises allows me to do this. My only problem is that I don't know where to start...I am a 21 year old student in Cork who lives in the carraignabfhear and would be looking for group activity. I know that clay pigeon shooting and target shooting are around the area (Kinsale and Fermoy) but I am not sure as to how I go about starting out so to speak. Any help would be most graciously received.

Thanks

give squash a try .150 bucks for a top of the range racket, club member ship 50 bucks a year ,3 euro a game .

o and most importantly you will not be looked upon as a criminal by this government .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

jwshooter wrote: »
    give squash a try .150 bucks for a top of the range racket, club member ship 50 bucks a year ,3 euro a game .

o and most importantly you will not be looked upon as a criminal by this government .

Good advice from JW there (pinch of salt);)

as a ball is a ball and as I take it you mean by keeping your eye in you want to shoot cricket balls then start with a shotgun or 22 rifle. :rolleyes:

Can you buy cricket balls by the box like clay's????? :rolleyes:

Or take up Hurling it's a much more gentlemans kinda sport and will see you though the winter:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

You can always take a lesson €+60 per session and get some advise.

But,

If I were you, I'd wait until you have some extra disposable income. I have waited at least 10 years before I could take it on as a hobby.

Like WJ shooter says, it is no comparison against any other sport in terms of running cost.

By the way, you can't get a gun before taking lessons and joining a club...

Then you need at least two people form the club you want to join who can recommend you.

Then if you are accepted you pay the fees which includes the insurance sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

Then, take some more lessons. Then if you start going to registered shoot or competition, €40 a round + 100 cartridges a round (depends on the catrgory)...

Then the equipment if you start shooting regularly.
    The absolute cheapest gun you can buy for any regular shooting is around €650 excluding potential repair cost after the previous owner. Any new one is at least 1200 if you are to use it regularly. Then the maintenance cost as there is majour safety implications if you don't.

Plus some accessories like sleeve, ammo box, shooting vest etc...

Unless of course you have a rich dad...??? I didn't so I waited..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You can always take a lesson €+60 per session and get some advise.

But,

If I were you, I'd wait until you have some extra disposable income. I have waited at least 10 years before I could take it on as a hobby.

Like WJ shooter says, it is no comparison against any other sport in terms of running cost.

By the way, you can't get a gun before taking lessons and joining a club...

Then you need at least two people form the club you want to join who can recommend you.

Then if you are accepted you pay the fees which includes the insurance sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

Then, take some more lessons. Then if you start going to registered shoot or competition, €40 a round + 100 cartridges a round (depends on the catrgory)...

Then the equipment if you start shooting regularly.
    The absolute cheapest gun you can buy for any regular shooting is around €650 excluding potential repair cost after the previous owner. Any new one is at least 1200 if you are to use it regularly. Then the maintenance cost as there is majour safety implications if you don't.

Plus some accessories like sleeve, ammo box, shootign vest etc...

Unless of course you have a rich dad...??? I didn't so I waited..

Cripes what a kill joy you are shannonpowerlab

Can't Greg-H jump in at the deep end like we all did and then find out how much it all adds up to.

Anyway Greg here's a few "what to do's"

1- Read this post from the Tipps section
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58312959&postcount=3

2- For a 22lr rifle have a look at a second hand CZ always good value to be had. My son got a good one for €250 with a moderator.
    3- Join a gun club If you can
    4- Get insurance cover if not provided by the gun club. €40-€50
    5- Get farmer permissions to shoot on their lands for vermin, rats and rabbits. They are OK to ask and most will say yes. Tell them you have your insurance cover in place.
    6- Talk to people who shoot to put you in the right direction.

Juat as an aside my present gun that I'm waiting on a license for has cost me over €2000.
    .308 stalking rifle second hand €800, telescopic sights x2 second hand €700, mounts for the sights x2 second hand €150, moderator new €300, bit and pieces €200

• Advertisement

Ooops sorry.

Ah sure if is just going for a bit of week end plinking with a .22 rifle it would be much cheaper... I thought he was talking about clay pigeon because weekend plinking is quite lonely...

Alternatively, I'm sure there are a lot of people in rifle clubs. I have no idea how much those competition rifles are but I am sure you could borrow a club gun...

I think a box (100 rounds) of .22LR is about €12 so probably OK cost wise.

Oh, another valid point from jwshooter...

Current government does not like anything that goes fast. From cars, medical services, Public transport, NCT, license application and projectiles.

So they do want to know averything about you when you apply for a license.

Although they would not say no to a roast pheasant served at their dinner table.

I would imagine if there is a shooting incident near your resident, chances are that you could get searched as well...:D (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

The cost of shooting can all add up. But if time is on your hand you can look out for some good deals.

If you want a .22lr keep an eye on the for sale section as a few nice CZ do come up at under the €300 mark.

An online auction could sort you out with a scope and mounts for a low price if the gun does not come with them (might not be the best scope in the world but I do know people getting groupings with cheap kit).

Then you would need a gun safe they start at about €200 new but then people are alway upgrading so again you might get a deal on second hand one.

Club membership and insurance is going to be around €250 a year. And would look at a cost of about €30 with green fees and ammo cost for about 100 round shot.

If you want a shotgun then add about €500 to the setup cost as you will pay more for a good shotgun. Add 100 clays will cost about €50 with targets and ammo.

So your first .22 would cost about €1000 and shotgun would be about €1500

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Another thread on the same topic. May cover some other points. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055664933
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement