Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liam ward, should he be banned? Chaos threads merged.

Options
  • 18-10-2009 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

does any1 else agree dat dis tube should b bannd 4m our sport? domz beats him and then ward head buts domz, wat a ****in dick, my mob is 07845374775. incase sum1 wants a discusian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tubz

It was spoiled mostly by the bad reffin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

tubz wrote: »
    does any1 else agree dat dis tube should b bannd 4m our sport? domz beats him and then ward head buts domz, wat a ****in dick, my mob is 07845374775. incase sum1 wants a discusian

Seriously, when did they stop teaching English in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

What happened?

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Seriously, when did they stop teaching English in school?

Edited ridiculis comeback.

Tim is right, Text speak helps no one and is hard to read for old people like me and tim and people wont read it so your point gets ruined.

he stood friel an doherty up, whilst friel was controlin da fyt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irishbhoyo

So what were the final results? Anything else major happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 McManus

irishbhoyo wrote: »
    So what were the final results? Anything else major happen?

Bantamweight A class
    Paddy Doherty (EFR) versus Darren Friel (Strabane)

Doherty won by corner stoppage

75kgs (compromise) A Class
    Dominic McConnell(Strabane Fight Team) versus Liam Ward (Evolve)

McConnell rear naked choke 1st round!

Featherweight A Class
    Shane Thomas (Kokoro) vs Johnny McGillion(Strabane Fight Team)

Shane Thomas kimoura

Welterweight C class
    Ramunas Venslovas (Maynooth Shoot Fighters) vs Gavin Carlin(Evolve)

Carlin won

Middleweight C class
    David Lorenzo (Maynooth) vs Micky McBride(Strabane Fight Team)

Lorenzo ko 2nd round

80kgs C class
    Ciaran Gillen (Kyoujin) vs Gary 'Cool Cat' Carlin Evolve)

Gillen guillotine round 1

72kgs compromise C class
    Ronnie McConnell (Elite Fighting Systems) vs Graham Doherty(Evolve)

Doherty by referee stoppage

Show was spoiled by crowd and some bad refereeing, At least 2 fights were a fighter was controlling a fight working for a move and it was stood up! Its mixed martial arts ground work had to be allowed for as fighters work for their positions then try submissions! The McConnell Ward fight lived up to its hype the 2 squared up as ward entered the ring and ref had to control them! No touching gloves just straight to action crowd was going mad and referee had to stop the fight for a few minutes to have the crowd calmed down!! McConnell then won the fight by RNC as he was celebrating Ward came over and sunk the head in him causing a brawl wer several people entered the ring and the show had to be stopped for 20 minutes to calm everything down!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

McManus wrote: »
    Shane Thomas kimoura (Some awful reffing instead of a warning for a punch to back of head stands the fight up as Johnny was in full mount)

At no point was this fight stood up. Johnny got full mount and Shane turned over to give up his back and then ended up in Johnny's guard. The only stoppage was to check on Johnny's cut above his eye. And that was done while Shane and Johnny were scrambling for position against the ropes so no real advantage gained or lost. It started back on its feet.

Best fight of the night by a mile.

The whole Warde v McConnell fiasco was shameful.

Who's gonna ban him tho? Chaos is his clubs show so are they gonna ban him? Most likely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

I honestly didnt see any problems wit the referee,shane and johnnys fight was a cracker and couldve went either way several times,as for the doherty friel fight it was another great fight,dohertys experience and size showed through but friels ground game is dangerous as hell,best gaurd i've seen in a long time on a local show always threatening and dangerous thought he had the triangle at one stage but doherty escaped and landed some vicous ground and pound.As for the ward and mc connell fight mc connell in my opinion fought a smart fight and won well but but it was an absolute disgrace to sport what happened after the fight.spoiled a good night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Absolute disgrace so it was. Ward is exactly what the sport does not need and conduct in the ring on both fighters parts was disgusting! In one night they single handedly ruined the reputation of Chaos. Also the reputation of MMA In Ireland is on the razors edge at the moment. To ordinary Joe Soap coming there last night for his first show to see that fiasco??

Both fighters should be reprimanded in some way. Could not believe what I was seeing last night. Reminded me of a WWE event. Fight of the night was the Shane Thomas fight. Only one that actually had any skill in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Who was the Ref??

Peter Lavery,I cant say i seen anythin wrong with his reffing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

That was my next question also. The normal refs at Chaos are the best refs around so i would be surprised if they made any big mistakes.

Also, Tubz seems like a bit of a knob. He creates a new account, nobody knows who he is, and he types like a 4 year old.

What happened in Darren's fight? Did they throw in the towel?

darren got badly pounded near the end of the 2nd round and think his nose may have been broke and his corner pulled him out then

koking wrote: »
    Peter Lavery,I cant say i seen anythin wrong with his reffing

Well, Peter and Aiden are great refs.

Given tubz general attitude and typing ability i am now of the opinion that he is a disgruntled 12 year old who knew someone who lost a fight.

Also, the headbut sounds pretty shameful. That is disappointing but i wouldnt say it has ruined the reputation of chaos since it wasnt anythign to do with the organisation of the event. Without Chaos and Strabane there would be no local shows so it still has my support.

koking wrote: »
    darren got badly pounded near the end of the 2nd round and think his nose may have been broke and his corner pulled him out then

Ouch, well i hope he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

I was the ref John so let me answer,as usual,any critics of my job.
    Firstly I'll address the main event of Paddy and Darren.Darren had paddy's back and had him stretched out,because of this none of his strikes were hitting ANY sort of target most of them were infact hitting the canvas,just,I may add,as Paddy's were when he had the same position near the end of the second round.I stood both fighters up because of this and because the fight was going stale.Now the fact that both of the guys that have an issue with my reffing come from the same team as both losing fighters may have a slight bearing on your posts.
    The fight in question,although called as a ref stoppage,was infact due to Darren not wanting to come out for the final round.That surprised me to be honest but it is between Darren and his corner team.
    The second fight between Cecil and Shane was stood up so that a cut above Cecil's eye could be checked.In my opinion it was in an area that would cause difficulty as the fight went on.The cut was treated by the corner team and I allowed Cecil to continue.The result was a tap out....nothing to do with my reffing.
    Iam not going to discuss anything or give an opinion on the fiasco that accompanied the Ward / mc Connell 'fight' but suffice to say the crowd had a part to play in that.
    In the rules meeting I told all the fighters that if their 'fans' approached the ring I would stop the match up until the crowd were seated.The ref is easly distracted by outside influences such as cornermen banging on the ring/cage or running round the area and when distracted a fighter could get hurt or a submission missed etc etc.As soon as the Crowd incroached on the ring,I stopped the fight as per my instruction.What happened afterward was nothing short of a disgrace.I just hope that some people have the good grace to offer a formal opology to both Jason and John.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Campbell M wrote: »
    Given tubz...typing ability

It's completely ridiculous to harass someone over their command of English. This also happened in another thread. You two are obviously far too narrow minded and condescending to realise that many different age groups use boards and that they may not have had, for whatever reason, access to as privileged an education as you have.

If they are indeed being lazy and using text speak then suck it up and leave it to the moderators.

Liam Ward, whoever he is, is a complete knacker by the sounds of it. A stain on the MMA scene in this fine country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

weemate wrote: »
    I was the ref John so let me answer,as usual,any critics of my job.
    Firstly I'll address the main event of Paddy and Darren.Darren had paddy's back and had him stretched out,because of this none of his strikes were hitting ANY sort of target most of them were infact hitting the canvas,just,I may add,as Paddy's were when he had the same position near the end of the second round.I stood both fighters up because of this and because the fight was going stale.Now the fact that both of the guys that have an issue with my reffing come from the same team as both losing fighters may have a slight bearing on your posts.
    The fight in question,although called as a ref stoppage,was infact due to Darren not wanting to come out for the final round.That surprised me to be honest but it is between Darren and his corner team.
    The second fight between Cecil and Shane was stood up so that a cut above Cecil's eye could be checked.In my opinion it was in an area that would cause difficulty as the fight went on.The cut was treated by the corner team and I allowed Cecil to continue.The result was a tap out....nothing to do with my reffing.
    Iam not going to discuss anything or give an opinion on the fiasco that accompanied the Ward / mc Connell 'fight' but suffice to say the crowd had a part to play in that.
    In the rules meeting I told all the fighters that if their 'fans' approached the ring I would stop the match up until the crowd were seated.The ref is easly distracted by outside influences such as cornermen banging on the ring/cage or running round the area and when distracted a fighter could get hurt or a submission missed etc etc.As soon as the Crowd incroached on the ring,I stopped the fight as per my instruction.What happened afterward was nothing short of a disgrace.I just hope that some people have the good grace to offer a formal opology to both Jason and John.

Thanks Peter!!!!

John
    www.fight.ie

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    It's completely ridiculous to harass someone over their command of English. This also happened in another thread. You two are obviously far too narrow minded and condescending to realise that many different age groups use boards and that they may not have had, for whatever reason, access to as privileged an education as you have.

If they are indeed being lazy and using text speak then suck it up and leave it to the moderators.

Liam Ward, whoever he is, is a complete knacker by the sounds of it. A stain on the MMA scene in this fine country.

If I thought him typing this way was because of a lack of education I would be far more understanding but I doubt he thought 'fyt' was the correct way to spell fight. It is pretty commonly known that 'text speak' is not allowed here in fact i believe it is in the rules/stickies.

Also, my main concern with him was that he appears to have only registered to complain (badly) about the chaos show (i see you removed 'general attitude' from the quote).

This is all irrelevant now anyway since he has been banned.

It was one of the strangest shows I've ever seen. Actually it was by far the strangest show I've ever seen.

Peter did a great job trying to control the weirdest of situations. I thought I was at a pro wrestling event. From strange fights to crowd interference and head butts. And a rather funny situation with a fighters entrance music being played for the full song without him coming out! ha.

Just to clarify something tho for people who weren't there...... CHAOS is normally a great event and in this instance it was ruined by one fighter and a handful of people in the crowd and I would not blame CHAOS for the actions of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Edited ridiculis comeback.

Tim is right, Text speak helps no 1 and is hard to read for old people like me and tim and people wont read it so yourpointgets ruined.

lol at cowzerp correcting tubz's spelling with more bad spelling. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

It is with regret that I hav to post to express my absolute discuss at Liam Ward - I never want to see this boy in MMA again. He ruined a wonderful show and could jeopardize the future of our sport.

I had actually deducted a point before the fight had started for his antics. To go into a ring and face-off McConnell was bad enough but hand jestures and groin jestures really annoyed me, there was children in attendance. Yes every fighter can be reared up but this was way OTT. McConnell is no shrinkin violet and I knew this was a hyped up fight. To bite ur opponent and then when u tap go over and headbutt him is just not what this sport is about, he actually put his hand out to Dominic:mad:

This was a totally unprofessional fight and could cost us dearly:mad: I personally felt sick to the gut. Chaos is a great show and Jason and John are two of the nicest gentlemen I know - they built this show from the ground and this guy cud solely destroy it but I urge us to stick together in MMA - a ban must be imposed its without question but dont judge one nite on a mindless idiot!

I will go further to say that a ban also should be imposed on Don "The Barber" - this guy is meant to be coachin Liam on his ground game - he needs to coach himself in discipline - well out of order jumpin into the ring and attemptin to attack the other corner. You are not familar to me nor would I want you to be and feel absolutely furious at your individual behaviour. He actually shouldve been ejected in the early seconds of the fight as he woz been quite aggressive around the ring.

Last nite woz a great sporting nite tarnished by thuggish behaviour. I ask forgiveness from those who attended the sport and arent regular this is not what happens in Irish MMA and should never be tolerated.

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Thanks to Jason and John we had an excellent array of fights!

My favourite fight was definately Jonny McGillion and Shane Thomas. Excellent work by Jonny but Shane should his true ability and experience we he took his opportunity great fight lads.

Loved Gorey and Brennan - Brennans heart was unreal and he had rattled Gorey but Gorey had a game plan and worked it!!!

Paddy and Darren - perfect and never gonna be an easy fight! These two wer unbelievable and Paddy was unsuccessful in ended the fight on a few occassions when Darren was relentless. Unbelievable ground game from Darren and Paddy - well done you ended a note on the way MMA is supposed to be excellent;)

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Officially he cant be banned but the questions are who will let him on there show? and who would support such a show that lets him on it?

I was not there so cant comment on the whole affair but headbutting someone is unacceptable under any circumstances bar self defense.

The other question that needs to be answered is will he be let to continue to train with his present club or will the coach accept that his position is untenable and he must be made an example of..

Its a sad day for MMA when our own people are proving the nay sayers right by acting in this manner.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Wouldn't be too hard for the people who run Chaos to contact the other promoters and blacklist this guy. I mean who would want a guy like that on their card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    Thanks to Jason and John we had an excellent array of fights!

My favourite fight was definately Jonny McGillion and Shane Thomas. Excellent work by Jonny but Shane should his true ability and experience we he took his opportunity great fight lads.

Loved Gorey and Brennan - Brennans heart was unreal and he had rattled Gorey but Gorey had a game plan and worked it!!!

Paddy and Darren - perfect and never gonna be an easy fight! These two wer unbelievable and Paddy was unsuccessful in ended the fight on a few occassions when Darren was relentless. Unbelievable ground game from Darren and Paddy - well done you ended a note on the way MMA is supposed to be excellent;)

Mrs Lynch
    xxx
    Any clips of this fight? Unfortunately I had to work and couldn't go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Maybe someone could be good enough to spell out the facts of what took place here for the less informed amongst us :confused:

But from reading what was posted so far :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Chisel

I was at this show last night, and as an in independent observer, here are my thoughts:
    McManus wrote:
    Shane Thomas kimoura (Some awful reffing instead of a warning for a punch to back of head stands the fight up as Johnny was in full mount)
    :confused: This simply didn't happen. Fight was stood up to check a cut on Johnny.

I thought the reffing was spot on - there were a few times where the crowd were chanting for it to be stood up (mainly when it was someone from Strabane fight team in trouble), and luckily the ref didn't let this influence him, as a stand-up usually wasn't necessary in those instances.

Positives:
    * MC was good, although lacking natural charisma & struggled with some wording during the post-fight interviews - good job overall though.
    * Reffing was good. He showed good authority and wasn't influenced by dumb crowd chants.
    * Sound & video & lighting was good. Nicely executed for a small budget operation.
    * Some great fights - Shane Thomas vs. Johnny McGillion was my favourite. Great technical bout, with some nice take-downs & reversals by Thomas. I really thought it was going to be stopped when Thomas was mounted and getting pounded on - but he gave Johnny his back, Johnny went in for the RNC, Johnny rolled onto his back, and Thomas spun out into Johnny's guard - nicely done, IMO.
    * Approachable friendly staff.
    * Fighters all acted professional & courteous (except one - see below).
    * Nice touch having the fight card and a flyer for the Cage Wars show on every seat - simple promotional technique that often gets overlooked.

Negatives:
    * Atmosphere slightly spoiled by that complete knacker 'Ward' - I assume he won't be used again - what a scumbag. McConnell & his corner were a class act in responding to this situation.
    * You should really announce the hometown of each fighter. A lot of people don't know where the clubs originate from (except Strabane & Maynooth, obviously).
    * 20min wait for last fight - very frustrating. Would have been less annoying if the MC had told us WHY we were waiting, and an approximate waiting time.
    * Someone needs to be organising the fighters backstage, so they're ready to come out. Too much waiting with fighters not ready.
    * The ceiling - way too low, and creates a claustrophobic feel. Didn't affect the fights, but still far too low, IMO.
    * Venue was too small - standing room only. I guess it's good for the promotion having a great attendance, but maybe move it somewhere bigger next time, & with a higher ceiling. I paid £25 to stand for 3 hrs, and the row of people in front of me were standing on chairs, making is very awkward to see anything. Security need to sort this.
    * People were standing in the doorway talking, making it very hard for people to get in & out of the actual hall. What a dumb place to stand - security should be keeping the doorway clear, as it was the only way in & out. This is how fights start: when drunk people try to push past other drunk people, and someone nudges or pushes someone accidentally, etc.
    * No explanation given for the absence of Fight #5.
    * Another small grievance: the Chaos FC website is almost unfindable on Google. When I search for "Chaos MMA derry" (+ other various combinations), I only find a boards.ie thread.

But overall, I enjoyed it. The negatives listed above can be easily fixed, and Chaos FC have proven they can put on a solid card.

Would I go back? Probably not - nothing to do with Chaos FC, but I just hate the wannabe tough-guy crowds that attend MMA shows in general. All the hard-man walks are so pathetic. It's just not a nice atmosphere to be in.

FYI - I saw that "tubz" guy there last night. He was wearing a Tapout top similar to the UFC cut-guy "Stitch" - except his said "tubz". Lame on so many levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement