Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liam ward, should he be banned? Chaos threads merged.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derry_fight_fan

I know Ward personaly and he's a time bomb, he should never have been allowed to even train with Evolve let alone fight for them!
    Ward has done time in prison for leaving a man like a cabbage a few years ago and the poor guy has never came round since..he was traing with Paddy Tolands kickingboxing at the time and was rightly told to leave.
    Then Ward tryed his hand at boxing with Oakleaf and once again he showed how much of a twat and low life he is by hitting a young man with Down Syndrome and he was sowing the door there also...
    I wasnt at the show on sat but i box and know the hard work that goes into running these shows and would hate to think that a guy like Ward could wreck it for everyone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ward has done time in prison for leaving a man like a cabbage a few years ago

I was wondering if it was the same Liam Ward.

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derry_fight_fan

Yeah its the same Liam Ward:eek:
    Ive boxed with him many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

I know Ward personaly and he's a time bomb, he should never have been allowed to even train with Evolve let alone fight for them!
    Ward has done time in prison for leaving a man like a cabbage a few years ago and the poor guy has never came round since..he was traing with Paddy Tolands kickingboxing at the time and was rightly told to leave.
    Then Ward tryed his hand at boxing with Oakleaf and once again he showed how much of a twat and low life he is by hitting a young man with Down Syndrome and he was sowing the door there also...
    I wasnt at the show on sat but i box and know the hard work that goes into running these shows and would hate to think that a guy like Ward could wreck it for everyone..

Think this post by derryfightfan will firmly make anyones minds up who were sitting on the fence with regards to this guy.

Anyone else find his comment on the other websites funny? He clearly doesnt like being on the ground or appreciate the value of a ground game to MMA. Also how he calls it "UFC MMA fighting, whatever you want to call it" was funny since UFC=MMA organisation, MMA=sport and fighting=general term to describe combat :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Roper wrote: »
    Well let me put it simply, while an outright ban is impossible, he will never fight on my show. I'm not under any illusions as to what MMA is all about, but I believe in sportsmanship, gentlemanly conduct and making this a superb spectator sport where people can attend knowing they're not going to see someone getting loafed.

2nd that. i will aslo not support any promotion that does decide to let him fight as they would be supporting such behaviour.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 strefa walki

cowzerp wrote: »
    2nd that. i will aslo not support any promotion that does decide to let him fight as they would be supporting such behaviour.

Hear hear, proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I think every promotion should tell him that they have a match for him, let him weigh in and have a doctor's check, then tell him his opponent was head butted randomly and can't fight, then send him home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mmmm..not sure

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Because he left a mean message on a bebo page? It's hardly in the same league as headbutting somebody now is it?

If you read my post correctly i said im not condoning his actions as it was a disgrace what he done however what i was stating was if someone spoke about my personal life including that of my familiy outside of the ring that had nothing to do with my fighting ability in the ring i feel i have the right to be aggitated and although headbutting and biting is not the right avenue to take to deal with it or react as he did at a sporting event, i wonder can you all honestly say that you would also not react in a manner that is deemed unacceptable outside of the ring if you believed you and your family were being disrespected. so therefore what i am saying is that i believe its unfair to lie the blame fully at liam ward and not point some of the blame on mc connell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If you read my post correctly i said im not condoning his actions as it was a disgrace what he done however what i was stating was if someone spoke about my personal life including that of my familiy outside of the ring that had nothing to do with my fighting ability in the ring i feel i have the right to be aggitated and although headbutting and biting is not the right avenue to take to deal with it or react as he did at a sporting event, i wonder can you all honestly say that you would also not react in a manner that is deemed unacceptable outside of the ring if you believed you and your family were being disrespected. so therefore what i am saying is that i believe its unfair to lie the blame fully at liam ward and not point some of the blame on mc connell.
    If someone mouths off out about you you should find somewhere to be locked in with them and fight them.....oh....wait...

martic wrote: »
    Bwahahahahahahaha you be on bebo:D

You can laugh all you want on being on bebo however i would like to point out that evolve and strabane fight team both have pages as do the majority of fighters at both of these clubs and these pages provide information on upcoming fights, class times and other information that anyone with an intrest in cage fighting would find of use so if you want to laugh at me for looking at these pages you may also laugh at all the members that also have pages and at the clubs who use them to promote themselves.

• Advertisement

If someone mouths off out about you you should find somewhere to be locked in with them and fight them.....oh....wait...

Yes if they mouth off about my ability to fight in the ring i would handle it fairly in the ring however bringing families and personal issues that has nothing to do with anything related to the fight sometimes cannot be handled within the ring i would rather stand and fight man to man outside of the ring where it cannot be stopped and others cannot get involved and show that personal life is personal and is my own business and not used as a weapon against me to irriate me before a fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

You do know that someone being a prick doesn't give anyone the right to assault them, yeah? It's against the law for one thing. And when you do it at a show being run by your team, it is hugely disrespectful and totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I think every promotion should tell him that they have a match for him, let him weigh in and have a doctor's check, then tell him his opponent was head butted randomly and can't fight, then send him home again.

Or let him fight and lose.. again..

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    You do know that someone being a prick doesn't give anyone the right to assault them, yeah? It's against the law for one thing. And when you do it at a show being run by your team, it is hugely disrespectful and totally unacceptable.

If you have read my other posts i agree with what your saying he shouldnt have acted as he did at the fight what im saying is that he reacted in a fashion many would have done if provoked and i said that he should have handled it outside the ring if his intentions was to hurt mcconnell outsdide the rules of mma instead of bringing the reputation of his club and team members down inside the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If you have read my other posts i agree with what your saying he shouldnt have acted as he did at the fight what im saying is that he reacted in a fashion many would have done if provoked and i said that he should have handled it outside the ring if his intentions was to hurt mcconnell outsdide the rules of mma instead of bringing the reputation of his club and team members down inside the ring

He should of done it legally in the ring but simply couldn't, that should have been the end of it.

he could of asked for a rematch if he really wanted too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

He should of done it legally in the ring but simply couldn't, that should have been the end of it.

he could of asked for a rematch if he really wanted too.

Look i totally agree with what ur sayin he should have handled the whole incident with more dignity and asked for a rematch instead of letting everyone down but it appears his intentions was to hurt domonic outside of what is allowed within the fight and instead of letting evolve down and putting the reputation of a growing sport at risk he could have handled it outside of the ring without it being associated to any club just simply 2 men fighting no more than what every town/city witnesses on a saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Ive read the other forums and still inside cannot find any compassion or forgiveness for this guy. I know of people who have had a past but came to MMA and changed their lives in a positive way. I also know a lot of slaggin off etc has appeared by fighters but they have always entered and left the cage/ ring in a professional manor (amateur to pro fights)!!!

As Cowzerp has stated we cant officially as a community ban him but individual promotions/ shows have to make their individual call on the sitution but as a fan I dont want him back:( We have learnt a valuable lesson at a hefty cost!!!! He's had more attention than he deserves and seems to be reelin in it:mad:

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

As mrs lynch stated the majority of fighters can act in the apporiate manner and all grievances should be left in the ring so therefore for the sake of the sport all fighters that disrespect or bring the reputation of their club or the sport down should be banned and we should all work together to ensure the fiasco of chaos 5 remains in the past and simply move on for the sake of the younger fighters that will be the next generation in this sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

i wonder can you all honestly say that you would also not react in a manner that is deemed unacceptable outside of the ring if you believed you and your family were being disrespected.
    Yes, I can safely say I would not react like that. Seriously, this is a sport can disrespect you beforehand but then you get to punch, kick, knee and elbow them as hard as you like, in any combination that you like, and it would all be considered sporting.

Butting somebody after a fight is just being a scumbag, end of story. I don’t care what the guy said about his momma. There is no debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Yes, I can safely say I would not react like that. Seriously, this is a sport can disrespect you beforehand but then you get to punch, kick, knee and elbow them as hard as you like, in any combination that you like, and it would all be considered sporting.

Butting somebody after a fight is just being a scumbag, end of story. I don’t care what the guy said about his momma. There is no debate.

+1
    Absolutely correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Your right Mc connell should be banned....FROM BEBO lol

liam ward should be locked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PM75

I am one of the many fans of Chaos who went on Saturday nite expecting fireworks. It was common knowledge that this was being billed as the fight of the night for local fans. The event was being held in Derry and the feature for many was 'Derry vs Strabane'. A lot of pre-fight talk took place and both fighters were flaring tensions between themselves and the fans who they brought with them. Ward has a reputation in Derry: that i will not dispute. His attitude is well known and he has a history of street fighting. However, there have always been fighting tensions between Derry and Strabane also. Why exactly is beyond me!

However, i had anticipated 'fireworks' for the fight itself. The actions of Ward after the fight was totally unacceptable, but almost a certainty following the hype. I believe that Evolve were well aware of the hype and this had no doubt helped sell out the event!

Whilst i do not condone the actions of Liam Ward, there were many who 'stoked the fire' which led to his actions. Many of those were in attendance on Saturday. A few 'hard men' fans of both fighters 'fancied their chances' in the ring after Liam was beaten. Not good for the sport.

Many of the comments on here call for Ward to be banned. He was out of order but a rematch would have been the best possible outcome. I would again pay £25 hard earned cash to see that. He has also, i believe, had time to reflect in recent days and his attitude has 'mellowed' by reflecting on the aftermath by issuing apologies. By following the forums on here and others in recent days a lot of talk has been disproportionate and people just like to hear themselves talk. This fight brought many local fight fans into the event, who i doubt would not have otherwise attended.

Finally, Liam should redeem himself and learn from the experience. I do not advocate people on these forums trying to ditch the man's chances of fighting again even if he were to get beat repeatedly. It takes a bigger man to come on and publically acknowledge he let things get out of control. Might i add that Mc Connell is no innocent player here and i note his silence and abdication in any wrong doing by those on this forum.

Finally, well done to Graham Doherty who i felt was excellent in his first fight. Conducted himself very professionally and deserved the win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr Fizz

I have been to a few of the Chaos events and would like to comment on how professionally the events are organised and run. I was sitting quite close to the action on Saturday night and enjoyed the action for the most part. However you could feel the tension building throughout the night with the anticipation of the co-main event. When the fireworks kicked of it was plain to see that both sets of supporters where baying for blood, and quite quickly anyone sitting at the front, ended up being shoved from their seat as a wave of supporters flocked around the ring, and some nearly in the ring during the early stages of the fight. Blaming only the fighters for the fiasco that ensued would be incorrect, as a portion of the crowd added fuel to the fire. The attitudes of some of the supporters would need to be addressed aswell as the conduct of the fighters. I do acknowledge that if someone is headbutted then retaliation would be your first reaction. McConnell conducted himself in the way any other person would, so the headbutt from Ward would be seen as the spark that lit the fuse.

How do we pervent this happening again??
    What happened in the ring could have been defused alot quicker if there where more safety barriers around the ring, and more ring attendants would help prepare for a situation like this in the future. By preventing the clowns who ran into the ring to add fuel to the aftermath and throwing their weight around. Access to the ring for any crowd member would be easily obtainable if they had the will. Better planning of crowd management would result in a more enjoyable event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

or simply tell security to keep the scumbags out, it is part of their job,and the gym to keep scumbags outta the gym,of course if u have a scumbag fightin his scumbag friends are gonna go see him fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Folks if you are concerned about the image this gives to Irish MMA maybe my views may help. I am a new fan to MMA, UFC in particular having just starting watching at UFC 100 and cant get enough since then.

Love the action and the differening styles on display. I come from a karate background and this stoke my interest to give it a go.

I was genuinely interested in attending local events to see what its like.
    Having read this thread I thinkg I will leave it for a while.
    I'm sure there are many decent guys out there but if I want to see known criminals be given a platform to act the scumbag, I wont be paying them to do so.

This may be an ignorant viewpoint as I am just a new fan to the sport, but the problem is, I'm sure many will share this viewpoint.

not a good impression for MMA in Ireland and this will do more damage that you can imagine to the local scene if this guys is not permantly banned.

Might be an idea not to allow convicted criminals to fight in MMA events anyway.
    People can watch gurriers fight on the town square for free on a saturday night, I want to see sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PM75

So are you proposing that all fighters wishing to partake in MMA should be vetted for criminal convictions? Get real....................thats rediculous !

PM75 wrote: »
    I am one of the many fans of Chaos who went on Saturday nite expecting fireworks. It was common knowledge that this was being billed as the fight of the night for local fans. The event was being held in Derry and the feature for many was 'Derry vs Strabane'. A lot of pre-fight talk took place and both fighters were flaring tensions between themselves and the fans who they brought with them. Ward has a reputation in Derry: that i will not dispute. His attitude is well known and he has a history of street fighting. However, there have always been fighting tensions between Derry and Strabane also. Why exactly is beyond me!

However, i had anticipated 'fireworks' for the fight itself. The actions of Ward after the fight was totally unacceptable, but almost a certainty following the hype. I believe that Evolve were well aware of the hype and this had no doubt helped sell out the event!

Whilst i do not condone the actions of Liam Ward, there were many who 'stoked the fire' which led to his actions. Many of those were in attendance on Saturday. A few 'hard men' fans of both fighters 'fancied their chances' in the ring after Liam was beaten. Not good for the sport.

Many of the comments on here call for Ward to be banned. He was out of order but a rematch would have been the best possible outcome. I would again pay £25 hard earned cash to see that. He has also, i believe, had time to reflect in recent days and his attitude has 'mellowed' by reflecting on the aftermath by issuing apologies. By following the forums on here and others in recent days a lot of talk has been disproportionate and people just like to hear themselves talk. This fight brought many local fight fans into the event, who i doubt would not have otherwise attended.

Finally, Liam should redeem himself and learn from the experience. I do not advocate people on these forums trying to ditch the man's chances of fighting again even if he were to get beat repeatedly. It takes a bigger man to come on and publically acknowledge he let things get out of control. Might i add that Mc Connell is no innocent player here and i note his silence and abdication in any wrong doing by those on this forum.

Finally, well done to Graham Doherty who i felt was excellent in his first fight. Conducted himself very professionally and deserved the win!

If you have read my other posts i totally agree with what your are saying the full blame should not lie completely with liam ward but also with domonic mc connell, i have wrote a few posts about this but until now you are the only person that has agreed with me and i am glad that someone is able to look beyond loyalties and personal vendetta and see the full picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Might be over the top, but something has to give as with regards to the sport growing within Ireland and its image, as long as violent criminals are allowed to fight then a) this sort of incident WILL happen again and b) I wont be attending and lining these guys pockets.

Tough decisions ahead, if nothing is done then all the good work done by many will continue to be undone by a small minority.

Call my suggestion ridiculous all you want, but dont complain when people shun the local events.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ggv

It has been posted on another site that ward has been banned for life anone hear any thing?

I see ward has posted the same thing must be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

ggv wrote: »
    It has been posted on another site that ward has been banned for life anone hear any thing

I cant even imagine how that would be possible since there is no governing body.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement