Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Flash mob collection in dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ah I love a good flash mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I love flash mobs... Excellent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I find it pretty cringy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The last one is a bit mad looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I find it pretty cringy.

which one? or the whole concept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The whole concept, if he's anything like me! :pac:

wolfric wrote: »
    which one? or the whole concept?

The concept really.
    I do like that it's possible to organise a random bunch of people nowadays via the internet and I imagine in many ways it would be fun to be apart of.

However, it's the whole let's 'hijack an audience' element that I find so utterly desperate (and cringy).
    Practically no one would actually pay or even pre-arrange to attend a location to witness this bunch of people standing not particularly still or dancing around in mediocre to good (but generally not great) sync to a song being played over a tannoy or crap speaker

But if we all just go out to some public place and do something a bit 'mad' then a bunch of strangers (who look generally fairly disinterested) will pay us a bit of attention, and let's film it too and put it up on youtube and send it to everyone we know cuz we're !mad!!

It kind of reminds me of how sometimes some children will decide they are going to put on a 'show' and they insist that every adult in their vicinity stop doing whatever they are doing and give them their undivided attention while they perform their show which usually consists of them hopping around, incoherently singing and yelling while wearing Dad's shirt and Mammy's makeup (something only their parents/grandparents/or saps can possibly find endearing).
    Still, they are kids and that's just alright.

Most will grow out of it.
    The rest will flash mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The concept really.
    I do like that it's possible to organise a random bunch of people nowadays via the internet and I imagine in many ways it would be fun to be apart of.

However, it's the whole let's 'hijack an audience' element that I find so utterly desperate (and cringy).
    Practically no one would actually pay or even pre-arrange to attend a location to witness this bunch of people standing not particularly still or dancing around in mediocre to good (but generally not great) sync to a song being played over a tannoy or crap speaker

But if we all just go out to some public place and do something a bit 'mad' then a bunch of strangers (who look generally fairly disinterested) will pay us a bit of attention, and let's film it too and put it up on youtube and send it to everyone we know cuz we're !mad!!

It kind of reminds me of how sometimes some children will decide they are going to put on a 'show' and they insist that every adult in their vicinity stop doing whatever they are doing and give them their undivided attention while they perform their show which usually consists of them hopping around, incoherently singing and yelling while wearing Dad's shirt and Mammy's makeup (something only their parents/grandparents/or saps can possibly find endearing).

The rest will flash mob.

A misanthropic :pac: curmudgeon after me own heart, The-Rigger :pac:
    Your point is (as usual) well-articulated.
    But i dunno, apart from the attention-starved aspect, for some strange reason i can't bring myself to say i hate them.
    They're not the worst tbh.

Ah I don't hate them either and I might be happier with their attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

oh go the oul lad on the seat in the dundrum one is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think people find them annoying because they've been done to death at this stage and also the ones in Dublin aren't particularly imaginative.

The Improv Everywhere crowd from New York do much more fun and interesting projects:

http://improveverywhere.com/

The concept really.

The rest will flash mob.

A performance is judged by quality not where it's put on first off. Children may demand peoples attention but these people don't it's no different to dancing in the street for money (or playing an instrument).

Many of the people seemed to enjoy them. What clips are you looking at? Everyone normally claps and shows great interest. I for one would love to see a show especially if it's well done.

On the other hand if a show is poorly planned then no matter if it's your children jumping around, a flash mob or the movie you just paid a 10er for then yeah, it's going to be all the same bad entertainment.

The attraction to flash mob is the fact that piles of people can come together to do something in a flash they're like an organised sleeper cell coming to life and suddenly they're gone and dissipating into the crowd. Makes you wonder how easy it would be if someone had alternative motives in mind.

I think the element of what the flash mob is to the core, makes you hate it while for others, it's the core reason they do it. The entertainment itself be it dancing or freezing or singing, is second to the whole concept of a "flash mob" which i actually think is pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

The dancing ones aren't really flash mobs. They're more just dance-busking. I probably wouldn't pay much attention if I came across one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Any of these loosers have jobs?

Btw Spastafarian I find your sig offensive.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kaizersoze wrote: »

I hear some of them work for the spelling police.

人のたわごとを与える

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I hear some of them work for the spelling police.

Yeah. I meant to use more o's to make it loooooooosers.:p

wolfric wrote:
    人のたわごとを与える
    多くありません。

Yeah. I meant to use more o's to make it loooooooosers.:p

多くありません。

Dude own goal you just insulted yourself lol. nice

wolfric wrote: »
    Dude own goal you just insulted yourself lol. nice