Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brutal Legend? Anyone played this yet??

• 18-10-2009 3:53am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its a hack-and-slash, role playing real time strategy open world... eh... racer.

Its also actually pretty damned good if you dont hate on any one kind of gaming (cos its all here).

Oh, and dont buy it if you hate Heavy Metal. Thats all I'm sayin'...

The main multiplayer bits are RTSish... so if multiplaying is your thing and RTS isnt... rent before buying. Otherwise I have to say, its been a real surprise find. Great game, great fun.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Got a nice little discussion going on here!

To reiterate what I said; I'm a big fan of this game, largely thanks to my love of all things Schafer and the awesome power of METAL!!!! If anyone has played through the game it's easy to imagine how I said that in my head ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Played the demo and had lots of fun with it. Might rent it sometime this week. Seems like a good soundtrack and you can't go far wrong with Jack Black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Played for an hour or so the other night , will give it another go later on.

Once I put my hate of Jack Black aside , it was pretty fun, nothing earth shatteringly brilliant nor would I say it's a must have just yet. Might change once I get into it more.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Played through the demo and enjoyed it immensely. Mostly for the way it was put together. Could be a bit of a button basher in terms of gameplay though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I played the demo and really enjoyed it more than i expected. Did the guy that made this make an old PC game called Full trottle ? it looks very similar. Art work and scripting is similar.

I will pick it up just dont know when have operation flahpoint 2 and uncharted2 just bought pro evo MW2 and god of war 1& 2 all coming in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I played the demo and really enjoyed it more than i expected. Did the guy that made this make an old PC game called Full trottle ? it looks very similar. Art work and scripting is similar.

Yep, tis the same guy... Tim Schafer is an absolute legend imo

Torn between getting this, Batman and Uncharted 2 at the moment... Being broke sucks!:(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I found Batman to be excellent but its also pretty much the same game as Wolverine... anyone else notice that? Even down to the jumping-on-boss's-back parts... Batman has far slicker animation though, throughout.

Brutal Legend's demo is not all of what you get in the game... the same slickness of storytelling is there but there is an open world feel to the thing and of course, the RTS-from-third-person battles too (which some people on the net seem to hate for some reason... I thought they were genius myself...)

DeV.

tman wrote: »
    Yep, tis the same guy... Tim Schafer is an absolute legend imo

Torn between getting this, Batman and Uncharted 2 at the moment... Being broke sucks!:(

Was thinking that, dam im going to have to get it now arent I ? oh and Fallout GOTY edition. Too many games such little time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just blasted through the single player there, Overall I quite enjoyed it.

The story was good up to a point, but some points annoyed me
    I kept feeling I missed key scenes because everyone talked about speicific events (the black tear rebellion) or characters as if I should already know the details, at one point eddie riggs (the player's character) says *But the black tear sea has been sealed for years!* and my response was...THE WHAT? HOW DO YOU KNOW??? Then after the opening level everyone starts talking about the human general and the fight against him and all I could think was...*what happened to the demon bad guy?* then he shows up with little or no fanfare, which is a shame.
    So I dont know if I just accidently bypassed a few key cutscenes or what but once too often I felt that the game assumed I knew things I didnt.

Aside from that the story had good character's strong pacing with good dialogue bits, the ending is a bit anti climatic, but I am beginning to think thats a flaw in video games in general for the last few years (the last 3 games I played all had anti climatic endings, odst, batman arkham asylum and brutal legend).

Gameplay wise it is a strange mix of playstyles and it works for the most part, the only bits I felt to be very weak were the on rail shooter bits, the driving was satisfying for most parts, though there was the occasional freakout in the mechanics and the car would rocket off the nearest cliff. If I had any complaint it would be that individually each segment is too small. Most of them are kept to brief sidequests, but when the opening brawl is longer then all the levels that follow pretty much, then there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Though on the plus side, the combat and enemy type isnt varied enough to warrant long levels ala God of War so its probably a blessing in disguise, but it is disapointing that features from the first level (destructable scenery, using the car/on foot combo for set for bosses) dont appear again in the game very often. When the game is good, it is bloody good. Having dragonforce playing during one specific set piece was genius and it was a genuinely cool set piece (yet short again) And when its bad, its only annoying or repetitive, it never goes really bad.

The big plus point from me is actually the rts element, I thought the RTS sections were brilliant (but I'm an RTS nut so any excuse for me) though I think how it was introduced could have been handled better. The very first rts battle will be a pain and annoyance because you wont get access to a feature that makes the whole thing alot easier until the second battle. So you will be put off initially. And the second battle is only a small improvement. The third though is when it hits its stride and it proves to be a decent system. Enough so that I intend to take it online. My only complaint of the RTS system is more onscreen information would have helped, such as a clear indicator of units health, who you have selected and where they are going. Far too often I couldnt work out who I had selected and had to opt for a series of wave tactics to win. But a quick go in skirmish shows with more open and balanced maps it can be effective, though i will have to wait and see how the online community develop tactics for it.

Overall a solid B+ game, the demo is misleading in gameplay but its accurate in presentation.

Also it does indeed have the greatest title screen ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I think it's great so far; spent the first 30 mins of it laughin our heads off at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Only started into this and loving it. Gameplay is simplistic thus far but a LOT of fun to play. I'm a metal fan and I think that is a big factor in this: shooting lightening out of guitar, flaming power slides, the cameos from famour rockers... great!

The sense of humour is great! It's helps protect him and his flock..... OF GIANT SPIDERS!

Just installing this now i need a game thats justa bit of fun to balance out operation flashpoint 2 thats good but so intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked it up today after playing the demo but wasn't aware that there were major RTS elements, I'm debating whether or not to bring it back unopened now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm surprised people dislike rts elements so much.

More curious of what it is they didnt like

btw I found those missing cutscenes from earlier
    I hadnt worked out how to unlock the legends and they contain little sequences that fill in chunks of the backstory

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its very basic RTS ... all played from "inside" the RTS rather then the usual "God" view from above. Also, its mostly about amassing a big group and going for a mad mosh (kinda in keeping with the game!).

Only half way through it but theres a lot of quite silly games on the side that are fun and give you fan flames to spend.

This is not Half Life 2... its a decidedly tongue-in-cheek game that is a lot of fun to play but not for "HardKore" people :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Im enjoying this game, even if there is a few bits that can annoy, the stage battles can get boring. And finding ozzy can be a pain!

Stilll, good game!!!

Advertisement