Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted minced Tripe

Options
  • 18-10-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can purchase minced tripe for dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I wonder can you get it from butchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I got 10kgs of a guy in westmeath last year, but Ive lost his number he was advertising on donedeal.

Local butcher says he cant get it as its classed as offal.

My dogs love it , its the best feeding you can give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

macadam wrote: »
    Local butcher says he cant get it as its classed as offal.
    But so are kidneys, liver, sweetbreads, heart and lots of other stuff (including tripe!) that butchers (at least proper butchers) sell routinely. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Is there a meat factory anywhere near you, maybe you could see if you can buy it off them directly??

We have one local to us and my friend gets some off them, then again he works there so maybe that's why but you could always try!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A good butcher should be able to get it for you, or have it left over. See kidney and liver in the local butchers here all the time so don't see why they can't sell tripe.

• Advertisement

Tried the local butcher, he is a friend and he said the abattoir wont allow the tripe leave the premises as it contains all the animals waste etc and has to be disposed off more EU beauracracy, we used to eat tripe boiled in milk when i was young ( never liked it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very strange, perhaps a someone with a small holding might have some left over.
    I know you can get dried tripe, stinks though. All else fails perhaps cutting up other offal like Kidney, liver or using turkey mince etc could be an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tried the local butcher, he is a friend and he said the abattoir wont allow the tripe leave the premises as it contains all the animals waste etc and has to be disposed off more EU beauracracy, we used to eat tripe boiled in milk when i was young ( never liked it)
    Sounds like utter tripe to me :D I've seen tripe plenty of times here, in fact, as it happens, I actually saw some in the window of a butchers shop in Dun Laoghaire literally just a couple of hours ago, so it really does exist, EU bent-cucumber-like conspiracy theories notwithstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

This isn't accurate.

The fact is that these days only a very small number of craft butchers actually butcher (i.e. slaughter) their own stock. This is due to the necessity to comply with the numerous regulations around humanely slaughtering the animals & correctly disposing of the parts which aren't allowed to enter the 'human food chain'.

As a result the abattoirs operate like a production line & any deviation isn't straightforward from the butchers point of view, as most of the stuff that comes under the title offal, ends up in a bin & coated in blue paint so it can't be resold.

Your best option is to find a craft butcher who slaughters his own animals & let him know what you want the tripe for. It might take a couple of days, & make sure you get some nice bones as well & give the butcher some of your own trade & encourage the small business man who looks after his customers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Anyone know where I can purchase minced tripe for dogs.

What sort of quantities are you looking for?

• Advertisement

looserock wrote: »
    What sort of quantities are you looking for?

Normally buy 10kgs plus at a time but can make room for more, you got any?

Normally buy 10kgs plus at a time but can make room for more, you got any?

I can get you in touch with a guy, but he only deals in large quantitys i.e. 20 to 30 10 kg bags upwards.

loose rock ,

that would be great, can you pm me his contact number.

I got 15kgs of beef hearts today €15 in an abattoir , they also sell tripe but its washed with bleach and all the nutrients etc are washed out so no good for the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

they also sell tripe but its washed with bleach and all the nutrients etc are washed out so no good for the dogs.

Its not washed in bleach, its just boiled.

I used to work in a slaughter house killing sheep & cattle.

When the belly of the cow is cut out its full of digested and undigested foods, its cut open and its contents disposed of. At this stage the tripe is a brownish/greenish horrible mess (you wouldn't want to feed it to anything).

From here its simply boiled and comes out white.

I've never looked at its nutritional value, I always thought it was just fat :confused:

If the OP lives in Dublin most of the butchers in Moore St. still sell it.

Mak,

I had a good chat with the girl in the abattoir and she rang one of the guys on the boning line and it was him that said its washed with high water pressure and a bleaching agent.
    Its sold in 15kg boxes at €25, but the good is gone out of it.

I have fed this to my dogs for years, used to get it while it was still warm from the local butchers, but its virtually impossible to get before its cleaned now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mak,

I had a good chat with the girl in the abattoir and she rang one of the guys on the boning line and it was him that said its washed with high water pressure and a bleaching agent.
    Its sold in 15kg boxes at €25, but the good is gone out of it.

I have fed this to my dogs for years, used to get it while it was still warm from the local butchers, but its virtually impossible to get before its cleaned now

Thanks, maybe the process differ's between the various abattoir.

I can't imagine a butchers selling it unwashed, its pretty awful & foul smelling but I guess it there's a market tripe covered in poo someone's gonna make a buck from it!.

"Where there's muck there's money" comes to mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

when feeding to dogs is there a difference between cows tripe and sheep tripe?

macadam.

Message sent.

when feeding to dogs is there a difference between cows tripe and sheep tripe?

When i feed sheep bellies , it tends to run the dogs, but the beef gives good solid stools.

Advertisement