Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

must RAM be in pairs?

Options
  • 18-10-2009 9:19am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 4 memory slots on my motherboard, 2 of which are occupied by 512MB sticks of DDRAM(1) @ 400MHz. Can I simply add a 1GB (or even 2GB) stick to one of the remaining banks or do I have to get two 512MB sticks?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No problem at all, but if your mobo supports Dual-Channel (probably not given its vintage) you'd get slightly better performance from a matched pair of 512MB sticks. Another issue is that if your mobo is really old and has Dual-Channel it might not have the Flex enhancements, so if you put an unmatched 1GB in there you might take the existing 2*512MB out of Dual-Channel mode. But if there's a fair price disparity you shouldn't even bother checking IMHO and just slap in the 1GB stick :)

Advertisement