Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From O to HL maths

Options
  • 18-10-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi I'm repeating my LC as a mature student over two years and was wondering if I can get through the ordinary level book before i go into the second yeah would I be able to get through the higher level book in the year and take it in or is it too intense? Time won't be a problem for the second year, I'll be able to put a lot of work in. I want to go on to college and reckon I'll need a pretty good understanding of maths for what I want to do.

Thanks for any help, would be interesting in hearing if anybody else took up maths in what would be their 6th year and how they got on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Most don't manage it expecially having being thought at a pass level for 5 years.

You would want to be very interested in it. Enough to actually pick up the book for the two years in your spare time and sort of enjoy the problems.

You will need a good teacher. From what you posted above it seems that you wan't to study the course on your own. I don't think this will work.
    Maths is a subject that if you don't understand a problem you need to be shown by a professional what you are doing wrong and how not to make the same mistake again. Its not like the others.

Bottom line is make sure your serious about it before taking it on. It's can be done but it will be a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

Thanks for the reply.

I would have a teacher in the school to help me out and I actually enjoy doing the maths it's just I've heard nothing but horror stories about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If you like it try it. Worst case scenario is you have to drop down and do pass again.

And even then it will be a lot easier to get an A or a B out of pass if you have studied the honors course for 2 years.

Good Luck

Thanks Dublinstiofán,

Is there a lot more chapters to cover or is it harder version of the ones coverd in the ordinary level course?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

There is stuff that simply isnt on the OL course (Matrices, Integration) and stuff that is seriously expanded up on (Calculus in general!)

• Advertisement

So if I study the HL I'll have a good understanding of the OL then? So If I drop down I should be ok? Bt the way thanks for the replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

What course do you hope to do in College?

HL Maths is not as hard as it is made out to be, trust me. It just takes time and effort. Forget about doing the OL course for one year and the HL course for the second year. Just start off with the HL course as the 2 courses are very different! Have patience with it and keep plugging away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

One piece of advice I would give is that if you decide to take OL don't bother continuing with the HL course, I see tons of people in school who know they will do OL for the LC but still insist on sticking with the HL course as long as possible. There's no point, everything you'll need to know for the OL exam will be covered in the OL course. There's no point in taking up loads of your time.

Secondly, I wouldn't think that you could do the HL course in a year, there's an unbelievable amount of sh1te in it that needs to be learned. If you want to do HL, do it straight away, doing the OL course for a year won't help in any way, it'll just take up time that you could be using to study HL.

Anyway, there's my two cents...

I was hoping to do mathematical sciences. The minium grade in maths is B1 in Ordinary, I was wondering is there much need to do the higher level then. Has anybody done that course or know anyone that has. I'mjust trying to figure what skill in maths people have going into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

CylonYoda wrote: »
    I was hoping to do mathematical sciences. The minium grade in maths is B1 in Ordinary, I was wondering is there much need to do the higher level then. Has anybody done that course or know anyone that has. I'mjust trying to figure what skill in maths people have going into it.

Do higher level from the start. Put a good bit of time into it and you'll be grand. It will benefit you no end in college if your lookin' to do a course like that. When you think you have a good understanding of the topic your studying, do loads and loads of exam questions it'll really help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement