Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused.....Maternity Benefit?

Options
  • 18-10-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Please please can someone help me get my head around maternity benefit.

My situation at the moment is i am 18wks pregnant and working. It is a contract job and my employer has said i will defo be there till end of year. My employer spoke to me on friday and said to find out what the criteria was for me to claim maternity benefit and that they would try to accomodate me if i needed to work for a few weeks in new year.

Now, i haven't had my first scan yet, it is at the end of the month but my doctor has given me a due date of 20th March. If this due date is accurate, which i will know after the scan, then my contract will end at the end of the year.

My question is when my contract finishes what would i be entitled to claim? is it maternity benefit or jobseekers benefit? Also, if it is maternity benefit am i right that this will last only 26wks? What happens after the 26wks, can i claim JB? And finally if you claim Maternity benfit are you using up credits from your JB?

I would appreciate any help on this as i am getting worried and want to get myself sorted out, especially when my employer is being so sound.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

Hi; as far as I know maternity benefit only lasts the 26weeks, sorry but am at the early stages so havent really looked into it properly just looked up the internet try www.citizensinformation.ie sorry not much help:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi, From what I know, the Maternity benefit is given on the basis of a prior year, probably 2008 for 2010 claims. It is totally seperate to jobseekers, and I think they give you prsi credits while on mat leave, so they will continue to count for jobseekers after you finish on mat leave. Would recommend you ring/call into your local office for more/better info. The area is a minefield!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Afaik, if your contract ends within 6 months of the birth then you are entitled to around 240 a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

You can take the leave from 24 or 26wks into the pregnancy. So, even if you finish end of the year or early next year you should qualify as long as you have enough PRSI.

Advertisement