Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grad filters and accessories

• 18-10-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

I've been looking at photos taken using grad filters over the last while and I decided I want to invest.

Only problem is though that I am not sure what I need.

Do I need a holder + filters or do they screw on or how does it work or what else do I need. The more I read and google it the more confused I am becoming.

Can I just buy them all together in a kit rather than having to buy them separately and where is the best place to get them online..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yes I know of two types of 'holder' filters, A & P. P is the bigger and more used version. A is OK for small diameter lenses, eg. 49mm. You can get different size 'screw on' connectors (that attach to the holder) for the different size lenses, ie. 49mm, 52mm, 58mm etc. You then slide in the desired filter or multiple filters.

You can olso get 'screw' on filters, ie. a 49mm filter that screws on to the lens directly. These can be stacked up obviously.
    Check out 7dayshop for some examples, or fleabay for cheap holders.

This is my A holder, with 49mm connector allowing me to attach it to a 49mm diameter lens.
    946CDC402C9740579B20B10F3DFF98B6-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There are few different styles of filters and their mounts and I have the Cokin compatible system.

Please, consider the picture only as description, not a link to a specific store:
    prod_103722.jpg

This system has a lenss adapter with a thread of your lense. Next one is the filter holder that slides onto the adapter. If you have more lenses with different filter thread sizes, you would need only adequate adapters. And the square filters slide into the filter holder. The selection of the filters depends on you.

And also position of the filters in the adapter affects the optical function of the filter. That is due to distance between the filter itself and some optical focal parameters I don't want to understand. Basically, if you have a graduated ND filter, the further you put the filter from the lense, the sharper is the graduated line visible in the picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Are you shooting Film or Digital?

The way I have heard that people like John Hooton use ND Grads is that he holds them in front of the lens rather than put them into a holder. This gives the advantage of being able to vary them in longer exposures & make the transistion softer.

You can of course use ND Grads on Digital as well as Film, as it is a traditional way of creating the image. You can also shoot RAW and apply an ND Grad filter in Post Production where you will have more control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

CabanSail wrote: »
    You can of course use ND Grads on Digital as well as Film, as it is a traditional way of creating the image. You can also shoot RAW and apply an ND Grad filter in Post Production where you will have more control.

which provided you're not playing with flowing water is okay. If shutter speed is critical, then better to put them on the camera rather than using the software.

I use the Cokin system for my filtered shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Thanks for the replies...

I'm shooting digital for those who were asking..

So I'm going to need lens adapter, filter holder and filters themselves..

Whats the best site for this stuff would ye know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement