Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gobus WiFi - don't expect too much

Options
  • 18-10-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Just to highlight a small but significant point for those travelling between Galway and Dublin on this otherwise high standard and efficient service;

Gobus advertises its WiFi availability on its buses, so I counted on this as a way to get some work done while travelling.

There is indeed free WiFi but it's slow and useless. - Or at least it was on the 3.15 service travelling down on Friday.

I just wanted to point out that it's not something to depend on. You'll get an email or two through if you're lucky but that's about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Honestly?? I've used the service approx ten times and I've never had an issue. In fact it's always been pretty good tbh.

Maybe it was a one off? Its not something I've ever heard any friends of mine complain about either.

Worse thing about gobus are the passengers who ask you not to recline your seat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

id assume the service speed is totally dependent on how many other people on the bus are using it.

You may have just been on the bus where alot of passengers were trying to use the net which killed the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I used the Citylink one from Galway to Cork recently. It died as soon as we left Galway and came back when we got to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My mate said it was grand, not great for you-tube but he only had 1 drop in connection when they were going through ballinasloe i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

On a fairly empty CityLink bus to Shannon Airport recently. This was around Renmore. Better than dial-up at least but very sluggish.

15185950.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Worse thing about gobus are the passengers who ask you not to recline your seat :rolleyes:

Damn those people, wanting to have feeling in their legs when they get off the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

My friend took it up to the Ireland match the last day. Had nothing but praise for it. And this guy is on a 10Mb connection at home. Said he could stream YouTube videos quite well :)

amacachi wrote: »
    Damn those people, wanting to have feeling in their legs when they get off the bus.

First of all, I would never be rude or inconsiderate enough that I would recline my seat fully, however I think being asked to keep your seat fully upright by the person behind you for the entire journey when you have both paid the same amount for your tickets is a bit rich tbh. I'm tall and longlegged and I wouldn't do it to the person in front of me. An inch backwards makes fcuk all difference to the person behinds' leg room in all fairness.

What is that about? Reclining your seat does NOTHING to the person behind you. I always recline my seat on a bus/train/airplane, purely because I know this fact. The only thing you lose out on is "face room".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Go bus wifi has gotten better, but can still be dropped a fair bit. Grand for emails, but not youtube or any film stuff. In my experience it doesn't seem to have much to do with the amount of other users on the bus - it's been really fast on a packed bus one time, and awful on an empty bus too.

With regard to reclining seat etiquette. I have a bit of a dodgy neck, so putting it back an inch or two does make it a lot better for me too. What I try to do is get on first, put the seat right back straight away. Unless the bus is completely full, then whoever can choose to sit behind me or not.
    If there's no one behind me, I often put it right back to sleep.

I do disagree that it doesn't make a difference tho. For example on a packed bus it simply isn't ok to put it all the way back. The person behind hasn't a hope of using a laptop for one, it's way too squished. If it's a heavier person it's really claustraphobic for them. In those situations, back a tiny bit should be ok, and also fair.

If I get a 'seat kicker' for putting the seat back an inch, then f*ck them. I might even put it back another inch! Use your words people or expect the same:p

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    For example on a packed bus it simply isn't ok to put it all the way back. The person behind hasn't a hope of using a laptop for one, it's way too squished. If it's a heavier person it's really claustraphobic for them. In those situations, back a tiny bit should be ok, and also fair.

Exactly my point.

and it does make the seat much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What is that about? Reclining your seat does NOTHING to the person behind you. I always recline my seat on a bus/train/airplane, purely because I know this fact. The only thing you lose out on is "face room".
    First of all, I would never be rude or inconsiderate enough that I would recline my seat fully, however I think being asked to keep your seat fully upright by the person behind you for the entire journey when you have both paid the same amount for your tickets is a bit rich tbh. I'm tall and longlegged and I wouldn't do it to the person in front of me. An inch backwards makes fcuk all difference to the person behinds' leg room in all fairness.

What height are you two?

Never had trouble on a bus but on a plane if someone even slightly moves thier seat back they crush my knees and it results in a horrible journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    What height are you two?

Never had trouble on a bus but on a plane if someone even slightly moves thier seat back they crush my knees and it results in a horrible journey.

I feel your pain.

I'm 6'3 and if someone in front of me reclines there seat even a few inches it's painful to sit there. I physically don't fit if some ignorant shoite decides to recline all the way back.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    What height are you two?

I'm about 5'11"? And I was on a Delta Air Lines Boeing 757 last year. Delta are seriously pulling the piss with their coach class seating in their B757s. That's the least amount of legroom I've ever had.

I'm slightly taller than TheCosmicFrog. And like most tall women my height is in my legs so legroom/space can be an issue for me. I never recline my seat on flights other than long haul ones. I never really need to. I'll agree Delta are a bit tight on space too.

I'd never put my seat back more than an inch on a bus out of consideration for the person behind me. And I think reclining your seat back fully on a bus if somebody is sitting behind you is really rude tbh. But I don't think an inch of reclination on a long bus journey is unreasonable, it makes little if any difference to the person behind you, especially not if they recline their seat slightly aswell, and I think being expected to keep your seat upright is a far from reasonable request tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

I'm 6'3 and if someone in front of me reclines there seat even a few inches it's painful to sit there. I physically don't fit if some ignorant shoite decides to recline all the way back.
    I'm 6'6. My knees barely fit in the V position (they don't fit at all if they're together). If someone reclines a little bit (after asking), it's usually cool. But usually they go back all the way, crushing my knees, and making the 3 hour bus journey painful. Not uncomfortable, painfull. So yeah, I push the seat back. I try to get the back middle seat, or the emergency escape seat, as they have better leg room, if I get to get on the bus early.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

id assume the service speed is totally dependent on how many other people on the bus are using it.

You may have just been on the bus where alot of passengers were trying to use the net which killed the speed.

Nobody was using a laptop except me, as far as I could see. If I persevered I'd get to send an email on gmail or yahoo eventually but that's about it.

There was no flippin way it would have handled YouTube or anything like that. It was extremely irritating, but I'm glad to hear that others find it is usually better than that.

Maybe I'll have better luck on return journey tonight!

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm 6'6. My knees barely fit in the V position (they don't fit at all if they're together). If someone reclines a little bit (after asking), it's usually cool. But usually they go back all the way, crushing my knees, and making the 3 hour bus journey painful. Not uncomfortable, painfull. So yeah, I push the seat back. I try to get the back middle seat, or the emergency escape seat, as they have better leg room, if I get to get on the bus early.

Coming from a family with many tall men in it, if I saw you or somebody your height or similar sitting behind me or moving to sit behind me I wouldn't dream of putting my seat back even an inch, as I know how unconfortable planes/trains/buses etc can be for you very tall folk:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Have never had a problem with the wifi on Gobus, Pity they wont be around for long :(,

jayoo wrote: »
    Have never had a problem with the wifi on Gobus, Pity they wont be around for long :(,

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Well lets see, small irish company vs one of the biggest transport companies in the world, who will win Hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Used it once and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ah FFS, put the seat back as far as you want. It only goes the distance it does because the designers obviously thought that distance was fine.
    I'm six three and the only problem I have with seats in front of me coming back is that I can't use my laptop then, not problems with squashing my legs.
    So if you want to do it, go ahead. That's what they're there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

jayoo wrote: »

Completly disagree! I have witnessed goBus call for a second sometimes even a third bus for certain times on Fridays and Sundays, while €1 Citylink buses have departed 1/4 full beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Much chat among Go Bus staff tonight about the conflict with Citylink (the details of which I don't know - ear-wigged but couldn't acertain :o).

Packed laptop in case so didn't get to give WiFi another try.

I'm 5'7" just but I find the seats quite cramped (must be because I'm soooo leggy :p). It's all a bit battery hen when the bus is full..

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

eh - no it doesn't

as it stands bus/train/airplane are uncomfortable for most tall people before you put a seat back - i'm a tall man and i will always look to see what size the person is behind me before reclining a seat - my knees are generally touching the seat ahead of me before it is reclined

Advertisement