Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Office Not Genuine

• 18-10-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I know fúck all about this kinda stuff so I need some explanations.

I keep getting a message when I open up word saying that my Microsoft Office isn't genuine. Well, my cousin downloaded it for me from somewhere so I didn't pay for it so I guess I knew that. Now, what will happen in "6 days" when it says my MO will be deemed not genuine? Will I lose all of my word documents or what?

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

You won't lose any files. More likely is that you when you open Word, for example, you won't be able to type anything or use any features. Not sure what version you have but I think some editions put a watermark on any documents you make or print.

The honest thing to do is buy a copy of office. Other than that, talk to your cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Download www.openoffice.org it's free and open source, no worries about having to pay hundreds of euro to Microsoft for a word processor license.
    For most day-to-day tasks it's exactly the same, it can open and save .doc files. Unless you're using advanced power user features you won't be able to tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

looks to me like your cousin broke the law and you are using a stolen copy of office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I have open office but I don't use it because the computers in college don't recognise it and when I try to open stuff up it doesn't work so I need word. It's just less hassle.

Ah fúck it. I'll wait and see what happens and if it stops working I'll go from there. Just wanted to make sure I won't lose all my files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

LadyJ wrote: »
    I have open office but I don't use it because the computers in college don't recognise it and when I try to open stuff up it doesn't work so I need word. It's just less hassle.

that could be just because you're saving them as the wrong file type in open office

Recon wrote: »
    that could be just because you're saving them as the wrong file type in open office

I don't think so but I also need powerpoint for presentations and stuff so MO is definitely what I need. It's just handier.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Get a legit copy, Home and student edition is pretty cheep these days

Get a legit copy, Home and student edition is pretty cheep these days

Like how much? From looking at that home and student package on their site it looks like it costs £99. That's not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

http://www.software4students.ie/ has MS Office for €47.

INASB: I think even if your household has one kid in junior infants, you qualify as a student user.

have fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Like how much? From looking at that home and student package on their site it looks like it costs £99. That's not cheap.

You have three options.

Buy a legit version.

Download another illegal version.

Or use Open Office, saving your power point and word docs as MS office compatible files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭SeanW

OpenOffice.org would be my suggestion too, its free, easy to use, no muss no fuss, save files into the corresponding Microsoft Office format and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It is when you compare it to a standard licensed version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LadyJ I'm happy to say got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,215 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how do YOU know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Overheal wrote: »
    how do YOU know?
    Fourth option.
    Chatted to her and donated some services. :)

Advertisement