Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile + laptop = intermet

• 18-10-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi.

Can I use mobilephone (SE, 3G) as modem and concet with laptop to get internet? Is it easy to setup? Do I need same cabel? And how mach do it cost? I dont no do I have on my laptop Bluetooth.
    And if Im at 3 network can i buy like 1gb adds on to surf in web with my laptop?

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Download the Sony Ericsson data suite and that'll do everything for you.

I'm not sure about the pricing but check with 3, they should be able to advise you.

Yes you can use a cable, but bluetooth is so much handier to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can download joiku onto your phone and no need for a cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Can mobile + laptop be used with any GPRS PAYG service? I tried this with the Sony Ericsson data suite on Vodafone and Meteor and it didn't work straight out of the box, although the phone browser worked. Is there anything to do done at the network end to enable something, and can this be done for PAYG? Has anyone this setup working on PAYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Go to Start Menu => Control panel.
    · Double click "Phone and Modem Options."
    · It will bring up a small window with 3 tabs, select the second tab "Modems."
    · This will show a list of modems that are installed on the PC.
    Your phone should be listed if it is detected.
    · Select the appropriate modem and click "Properties."
    · This will then bring up another window; please click on the "diagnostics" tab.
    · In diagnostics, please click "query Modem"... this will take a moment to work.
    This will check that the laptop and modem are communicating correctly. If this doesn't work the modem isn't being detected and may
    need to be paired again.
    · Next click the "Advanced" tab, which is beside diagnostics.
    · Here there is a field for "Extra initilization commands."
    · Enter the following command : at+cgdcont=1,"IP","data.mymeteor.ie", as seen below.

Setting up the dial-up connection
    · Go to Control Panel => Network connections.
    · Select "Create a new connection" (menu on side panel).
    · This will bring up the connection wizard; Click next to begin.
    · Select "Connect to the Internet" and click next.
    · Select "Set up my connection manually" and click next.
    · Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" and click next.
    · Select the appropriate modem (your phone) from the list and click next.
    · Enter an isp name eg: Meteor Internet Access"
    · Enter the dial��up number; *99# for Nokia handsets or *99***1# for all other manufacturers.
    · Enter Username and password and click next.
    Username: my
    Password: wap

You need different connection strings for various operators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

I have the renoir mobile phone it came with a usb so I can plug it in to my laptop and use it as a modem and concet to the internet it's 3 network and PAYG works great. it's so easy to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement