Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can i get an R6?

• 18-10-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I havnt had a bike in a few years but would love to get one now.

Im 27, have a full car license with 6 yrs no claims.

Bck in the day i was on mopeds for about 2-3 yrs, then moved up to a yamaha DT125 (lovely bike) and then an Aprilia RS125.

So, what do I need now if I want to get an R6?

Do i need a full bike license? Will the insurance be mad?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

car license has nothing to do with bike license at all. It wont stand to ya. When was last time you where insured on a bike and which bike license do you have

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Bck in the day i was on mopeds for about 2-3 yrs, then moved up to a yamaha DT125 (lovely bike) and then an Aprilia RS125.

Thanks

You'll need an A bike licence, (not the A1) first of all. And the R6 will have to be restricted until two years after you pass your bike test. As for the insurance, it will be very expensive. I reckon you would be a bit mad to go for an R6 as your first bike after a few years off them.
    What about a suzuki bandit instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Id suggest going for a normal 600 before going for a r6, an r6 is an even wilder animal then your everyday 600.
    insurance probably wont touch you without a full licence and a grade 2.
    You'll need an A bike licence, (not the A1) first of all. And the R6 will have to be restricted until two years after you pass your bike test. As for the insurance, it will be very expensive. I reckon you would be a bit mad to go for an R6 as your first bike after a few years off them.
    What about a suzuki bandit instead?
    +1 on the bandit, given that you've only driven 125's and have been away from biking a few years a bandit will be more then enough bike for ya. It has enough power to give you the occasional scare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

thanks for the advice

Mite look at the bandit, but always wanted an r6!

Currently I don't have any bike license. So what do I have to do, get an A1, then do a test and pass it? Is it only at that point Im allowed near an R6 (restricted)?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Get an A, the A1 license is completely useless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Mite look at the bandit, but always wanted an r6!

Get one. Nice bike.

If that is what you have set your sights on, and have the money, I say go for it.

Nothing like having a harsh dose of reality when you spend a significant amount of money on something that you have built up an expectation for, only to realise that it is completely useless for what you actually want to do.

L.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Get an A, the A1 license is completely useless!

ok. so the 'a' allows me to drive bikes that are over 125cc yeah? Is there such thing as a provisional a? Or do I have to get the a1 first in order to get the a?

Thnaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

big difference between wanting an R6 and having the ability to stay alive on one.

try a bike with less power - see how you go, bike for a couple of years and then get your r6.

jeez - I'm biking nearly 6 years and know enough to ride within my limits and an r6 for the type of biking i do would be lunacy - i wouldn't fancy trying to commute on one.

ifah wrote: »
    big difference between wanting an R6 and having the ability to stay alive on one.

try a bike with less power - see how you go, bike for a couple of years and then get your r6.

jeez - I'm biking nearly 6 years and know enough to ride within my limits and an r6 for the type of biking i do would be lunacy - i wouldn't fancy trying to commute on one.

I apptreciate what your saying. When moving from mopeds to an aprilia rs125 everyone said the same thing to me...but it didn't stop me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

ok. so the 'a' allows me to drive bikes that are over 125cc yeah? Is there such thing as a provisional a? Or do I have to get the a1 first in order to get the a?

The A license is for every type of bike - at your age, there is no need to get an A1 first and no real reason to do so. There are restrictions in place when you first get your A license though:
    Q. Please explain the category A (motorcycle) restriction?
    A. Anyone granted a first learner permit in category A on or after December 17, 1999 is restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kw or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kw/kg. This restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for two years after taking out a full license (not two years from date of test).

(PDF link by the way)

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/Licensing/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I apptreciate what your saying. When moving from mopeds to an aprilia rs125 everyone said the same thing to me...but it didn't stop me!

There isn't a huge difference between a moped and a 125 to be honest.

I would say you wouldn't get to the end of your street on an R6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

as ktric says - there's a huge difference

i have a dl650 - had a loan of a tdm 900 for a few days and the difference between those 2 bikes was huge.

and you're talking about going from no bike to an r6 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Get training on the r6 when you get it.
    Insurance would be expensive on an r6 starting off with no NCD and on a learner permit.
    As others have said to comply with the licence it should be restricted. Which kind of defeats the purpose of an r6 :P
    If you never did a bike theory test you might need to do it before you can get your A learner permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

get an sv650

be a better ride restricted then a castrated r6

go for it. I seen some young fella yesterday on a rs50 and i never had a go of one of them so I asked him for a go. Sound little fella gave me a go of it.
    He had a go of my gsxr1000 and he didnt kill himself. Fair enough it was only in an industrial estate and only for a few minutes.
    Bet the young fella feels like the coolest 16 year old in waterford now ha ha

jaysus, you've more balls then I seany!

you manage any wheelies on yer mans rs? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

I think insurance would be the killer on an R6 unless its factory restricted as they would be insuring it as a full power machine. As said the SV650, Bandit, Fazer etc all mid size 600 non sport machines should be fine insurance wise and you can have a restrictor fitted for around €250

These bikes would also be chaper to buy than the factory restricted equivalent and you can remove the restriction when your 2 yrs are up. This was the reason I went with the Fazer, its a nice upright position, the old R6 engine detuned but I think rated at 97bhp so when restriction is over it'll be like getting a new bike with 60 extra ponies but by that time I should be very comfortable with her (if it lasts that long). Insurance for me on Fazer €705 TPFT, 36 with no NCB, just passed test in July.

Most of the mid size bikes seem to handle restriction well and comments seem to be that in normal traffic conditions they are fine - only above motorway speeds that they run out of puff

Wossack wrote: »
    jaysus, you've more balls then I seany!

you manage any wheelies on yer mans rs? :p
    Ha ha not a hope man. Didnt even know it was started it was so quiet. Grand little thing though.

KTRIC wrote: »
    There isn't a huge difference between a moped and a 125 to be honest.

I would say you wouldn't get to the end of your street on an R6.

Are you familiar with an rs125? I'm guessing you are not, as there is a world of a diff between it andva 50 cc moped. This can do 0-60mph in about 3-4 seconds, and is capable of about 120mph, not your average 125- it's a racing bike and tuned as such.

Although I havnt driven an r6 I can safetly say I could get to the end of my street, and beyond!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

RS125's are nippy enough compared to a moped alright, but there is a world of difference between one of those and an R6.

• Advertisement

ah sure if thats what me man wants he may aswell go for it if he can get one.

There is a huge differance between a moped and a rs125, are ya mad lol.

I found the R1 extremely light for its power, the R6 must be mental
    light for the power it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

the rs wouldnt get to 60 in 3 or 4 seconds, i'd say 6 would be generous, the r6 can do it around 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seanybiker wrote: »
    I found the R1 extremely light for its power, the R6 must be mental
    light for the power it has.

It is light, but in the recent 600 shoot outs wasn't the gixxer "best", followed closely by the honda? The r6 is very much a race bike and doesn't handle roads too well (relatively speaking of course).

Personally, I'd be going straight down the zx6 -> zx10 road in the il4 classes, but realistically the way to go is 848 -> 1198.

The 848 is supposed to be a bike that handles well on the roads, can commute comfortably, and perform as well as the 600 class at track days.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I went from a W650 to a VN1600 on to a ZZR1400, That was some transition but I'm here to tell the tale.

I think it's down to maturity in the end. If you have a level head and know what broken legs and arms feel like you'll repect the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Yeah that whole maturity and responsibility thing is strange. I've never taken off from the lights like I used to on my restricted fazer 600 (by which I mean revs and dropping the clutch) and barely ever see a fully open throttle anymore.

Still my current ride has kept the rubber on the road and I'm happy with that. Except for that one wheelie that I didn't intend on doing, thought I was in second...oh well.

its not so much the jump (sure I went cbr125 to a street 675), its the _gap_ you've had from biking that's the issue imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

Hi,

Thanks

i was in the same boat as you i drove bikes for years but i had a spill on one and had bein off them for about 4 years, last bike i drove was a 96 FZR250 so i said i'd try something bigger this time, i got a 600 bandit (restricted) and the insurance is very good on them im paying 720 euro, so as said i'd leave the r6 for the moment go look at bandit's, fazer's or hornets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GDelmer

When I bought my R6 the lad that had it before me owned it for 3 weeks. He was in the same boat as yourself. rode bikes for a while, took a big break, then bought the R6. needless to say he smashed it pretty bad. It was ok for me though as I bought it for very little. :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

If you can get insured on that first thing, I'd be surprised. Even with it restricted. You may need to get a AON grade 2 to get insured on it. Which means training and testing on a bike that is not a R6. Look at a 250 sports bike if you like sports bike style. Then work on getting some no claims bonus on your insurance.

But get lessons. The CBT will be coming in soon as well (in the next month or two if things are going the way I have been told)

BTW, threads like these remind me of the Harley owner who died in a crash last year or so. He was still in the car park of the shop and owned the bike 10min or so and crashed into a parked car after losing control. Just cause you think you can control the bike, does not mean you will be able to. Making it to the end of your street is easy, making a mistake on a corner and being able to correct it, is not.

• Advertisement

i agree with the last chap.
    You asked can ya get one. The answer is yes. Simple as.
    Personally i think its better off starting on a middle weight. Get it if ya want and enjoy it.
    Obviously be careful.

Advertisement