Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Flash recommendations

• 18-10-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking at flash kit and wondering what you might think/recommend ?

Canon 430EX II coupled with either their ST-E2 infra red or a pocket wizard set. The ST-E2 can be unreliable as its infra red where as the pocket wizards use radio. Is there a cheaper solution out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I use a set of these bad boys, the Cactus V4 triggers.

Have a set of 4 receivers for my strobes and they work perfectly, much better than the previous V2 model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Chochese wrote: »
    I use a set of these bad boys, the Cactus V4 triggers.

Have a set of 4 receivers for my strobes and they work perfectly, much better than the previous V2 model.

reading the link you posted, I see they don't transmit TTL information :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Currently the only wireless TTL transmitters are the Flex/Mini TTL Pocketwizards. I tried some of the cheaper options but the only one that works everytime all the time are these.

Whats the budget too?

budget... hard to know, maybe 4-500 quid. What about the new radiopoppers?

I havent used them and havent heard anything except the initial specs. The Flex transmitter/receivers are approx £200 each

• Advertisement

actually folks, just came across this.
    To hell with TTL, for 30 quid how wroing can you go. Have a look, give it a chance to get goin, the review starts 2-3 mins in and is much better sound quality.

Cheap and cheerful, should work grand

yeah methinks Borderfox. For 30 quid, even if they never worked it wouldn't kill me. Yer man reviewing em says 100% fire rate which'll do me.

I tried some Calumet brand ones and they were far away from 100% but as you say they will do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Not transmitting TTL is the only downside to the Cactus V4's.

If you have the bucks, the PocketWizards are the job, but if you want to save some cash the "PovertyWizards" are the way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Elinchrom Skyports are less than half the cost of Pocket Wizards and every bit as good for tirggering flash (Flash only though - won't trigger cameras). Thery are avalilable for less than €150 from the main Irish camera shops.
    See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1sdHD1kuxE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

The Yongnuo CTR-301(/p) though still available is being replaced by the RF-602 line with specific models for specific cameras, thanks for the link though or i wouldn't have found them.

The RF-602's are a bit more expensive with a stated range of 100m via 16ch at FSK 2.4GHz - you're into ISM band interference from wi-fi to baby monitors so range depends on environment. Still no ETTL.

While I baulk at the price of PW's I began to wonder what I'd be losing by not having ETTL/II, so from wikipedia:
    wikipedia wrote:
    The main improvement of E-TTL II is that it gives a more natural flash exposure, by being able to handle tricky scenes where normally the old E-TTL system will be thrown off. Such improvements are possible because E-TTL II now incorporates lens-to-subject distance information in its calculation (where available) to assist in determining an approximate guide number for flash output. The flash metering system is also no longer linked to the AF system, where in the old E-TTL metering bias is given to the selected AF point. Rather, E-TTL II compares the ambient and the pre-flash light levels of the scene to determine where the subject lies. This gives the photographer flexibility to lock focus and recompose the scene without fooling the flash metering system. 'Hotspots' (areas of high reflectance) that will normally throw off the flash metering system are also ignored in the calculation.
    To muddy the waters there's now a rumour of an ETTL3 replacement for the 580EXII.

Hmm. Still reluctant since a Yongnuo tx + 3 rx is €57.11 free shipping on eBay, or this Chinese job 1 tx + 2 rx on amazon.co.uk for £24.99 with three 5 star reviews so far.

Thinking out loud - as it is we control aperture, shutter speed, and iso, we can also set flash power and coverage, but ETTL if I have it right makes it more fool-proof by also automatically adjusting flash power and coverage. If that's all it does is it worth the extra money which could be used for other kit?

It also opens up the world of high speed synch into sports and for outdoor wide aperture shooting, I love them. Switch them on and its the same as having the flash on camera, I have three flashes fired by them and its like plug and play. For shooting Weddings were time is tight they make my job a lot easier..

Advertisement