Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband - online gaming

• 18-10-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

Heya

Hoping you guys can help me out. In my previous apartment we had a dedicated 2mb magent wireless line so was great for internet browsing, torrents and online gaming on the ps3.

However in my new apartment i have UPC 10mb line and whilst torrents and internet browsing are perfect my online play is quite bad and laggy.

I've been told this is nothing do with my d/l speed but the ping? On speedtest.net i get anything between 20-50ms. The D/l speed is usually 5-9.5mbs so that's what i'd expect.

My question is - is there anything i can do, in terms of router settings or anything else, to speed up online play on the ps3?

My router is a black cisco one - any help would be greatly appreciated!

ps just did pingtest and got 30ms and a B rating (and jitter of 20ms whatever that is). And the wireless router is connected directly to the ps3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

20-50ms is fine for gaming, anything under 100ms is generally good enough. You can sometimes get away with 200-300ms, but a lot of servers will kick you for that.

If your ping is now 30ms, then that's not the problem.

Is the PS3 connected through a wireless or wired connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

jor el wrote: »
    20-50ms is fine for gaming, anything under 100ms is generally good enough. You can sometimes get away with 200-300ms, but a lot of servers will kick you for that.

If your ping is now 30ms, then that's not the problem.

Is the PS3 connected through a wireless or wired connection?

It's wired.

Have just noticed the difference since magnet in COD4 is quite significant so having problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Heya

Hoping you guys can help me out. In my previous apartment we had a dedicated 2mb magent wireless line so was great for internet browsing, torrents and online gaming on the ps3.

However in my new apartment i have UPC 10mb line and whilst torrents and internet browsing are perfect my online play is quite bad and laggy.

I've been told this is nothing do with my d/l speed but the ping? On speedtest.net i get anything between 20-50ms. The D/l speed is usually 5-9.5mbs so that's what i'd expect.

My question is - is there anything i can do, in terms of router settings or anything else, to speed up online play on the ps3?

My router is a black cisco one - any help would be greatly appreciated!

ps just did pingtest and got 30ms and a B rating (and jitter of 20ms whatever that is). And the wireless router is connected directly to the ps3
    what nat type u got on your ps3.im with with eircom 3mb and cod4 running like unreal t 3 fecking hard to kill someone at those speed dont know what kinda lag it is on that game say it pinging like crazy

Advertisement