Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating GPU

Options
  • 18-10-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to ask your opinions on this problem.

You can see my system in my sig. Recently bought Batman AA and had a weird issue where the 8800GT overheated and crashed the game constantly. Only way to resolve it was to install ntune and up the cards fan to 90% while playing the game. This works well but is very noisy obviously. Ive never had this issue with Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, or Call of Duty Modern Warfare while playing on this system. Ive never overclocked the card either.

Is it a sign that theres a problem with the card if its crashing my pc despite it not being overclocked? Or is it just that Batmans abit buggy (as its the only game that gave me the problem)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Well fallout 3 ran fine at fairly high settings on my card anyway.
    Arkham Asylum on the other hand was a slideshow, when I triedthe demo.
    So I would say it's just Arkham Asylum has extremely high requirements.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

what? dark asylum should run smooth enough on an 8800GT! are you insane?!

try opening the case and running it and monitor the temp difference ingame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't think I'm insane.
    Also I know the difference between the gpus.
    All I said was that arkham asylum has significantly higher requirements than fallout 3 - based on trying them both on the same machine. Therefore I concluded that it was probably the requirements causing the issue.
    Pretty sure that's not insane, whether or not my conclusion was correct.

I never said you were insane? Before my 8400 GS went in for repairs I could run TF2 all bloody day. If I played CSS (the lesser of the two) for all of an hour, I would get this inexplicable artefact/crash:

GLITCHORZ.jpg

Can't just do it by box specs. TF2 being far more demanding on both CPU and GPU did not generate near the same errors as CSS did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i called him insane :P

the specs requirements are near identical to each other (fallout 3 and batman: dark asylum). i have both games and both run and nearly identical framerates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I did install H/W monitor. The cards temp did climb to over the 80c mark when playin Batman. Some say thats overheating, others have said that Nvidia rate the card as operable up to 100c!

Overheal, your probly right, it may just be an issue with the 8 series cards. Its just odd that it never came up untill I installed Batman. I mean FC2 should have stretched the card in the same way Batman would, if not more.

i called him insane :P

the specs requirements are near identical to each other (fallout 3 and batman: dark asylum). i have both games and both run and nearly identical framerates too.
    Strange. Then again the AA demo I downloaded didn't seem to provide any way of changing the graphics settings, so they could have been set to maximum or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Agricola wrote: »
    I did install H/W monitor. The cards temp did climb to over the 80c mark when playin Batman. Some say thats overheating, others have said that Nvidia rate the card as operable up to 100c!

Overheal, your probly right, it may just be an issue with the 8 series cards. Its just odd that it never came up untill I installed Batman. I mean FC2 should have stretched the card in the same way Batman would, if not more.

80c is nowhere near overheating levels. Cards would work up to 120c+ before badly artifacting.

Obvious thing would be to maybe try different drivers, could just be a bug.

I never had to get near 120c to get artefacting. Im sure that would depend on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Overheal wrote: »
    I never had to get near 120c to get artefacting. Im sure that would depend on the card.

Cards are designed to withstand high temperatures. Certain passively cooled cards in performance brackets can reach up to 100-110c under full load, 80c is certainly nowhere near dangerous. In fact around 80-85c under high load would be pretty average for a lot of laptops. My old Go7400 used to regularly hit in the 90's during heavy gaming sessions and never once gave an ounce of bother. Obviously temperature of over 100c is bad for the entire laptop, but the point being if your temps are around the 80c mark then heat isn't inherently the problem, it could be the video memory more likely..maybe that's what was wrong with yours, perhaps whatever you were doing in CSS was using really large textures or something.

Advertisement