Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On The dole and going to las vegas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

hopalong85 wrote: »

I think you misunderstand the concept of social welfare. Social welfare should be about providing people with enough money to sustain themselves until they find employment. It is not about funding holidays.

"A person may recieve Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance for 2 weeks holiday in any calender year. These holidays may be taken aboard".

This is from Welfare.ie, the frequently asked questions section. The question in this case was - "I booked a holiday last year while I was still employed. If I go on the holiday, will I still get jobseekers payment?

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q18

So, feck the begrudgers OP and enjoy the holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I'm currently a student living on less than 204 euro per week so I'd be fine I imagine. Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

The increases in the dole in this country were kind of fuelled by Fianna Fail and their desire to buy votes. Obviously inflation is a factor, and welfare should rise accordingly. But 204 euro is too much. In the UK I believe basic dole payments are 60 pound per week approximately. If people can survive on this in the UK then please don't try to tell me that 204 euro is necessary for survival in Ireland.

Social welfare is about giving a person enough money to live until they find employment. That's it. That is what social welfare is supposed to be for. 204 euro is more than is necessary to achieve that task.

I think you misunderstand the concept of social welfare.
    and do you get a grant to go to college?? tell me who pays for that??

not everything is black and white, i for one dont want to be on the dole and am trying everything not to be, but its hard to get work, i got 3 more rejection letters from jobs today... And if i have enough left over at the end of the week and i want to by a cd or go out and drink (things being deemed fun) i certainly will.. i wont stop living just cause im on the dole. I worked my ass off for the last six years paid my taxes and prsi etc.. people like you make me want to scream, but if it happens to you one day your prespectives will change to match your situation.. and you will see that 204 euro is sfa money, esp for families regardless of what extras they might get aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

mickdw wrote: »
    In my particular case, 204 euro wouldnt nearly do. However I would never get into the situation of having these high costs without having enough cash to survive for a long period without money coming in. I wouldnt expect to get money for nothing. Being self employed and down to about 50% of what I used to earn in the good times, I feel the pinch yet I can handle my finances. I will survive for about 3 years if all money stopped today. Further to that, I could consider a less expensive car & cut down on any other non essential outlay. I certainly am not considering a trip to vegas as this to me would be deemed reckless in the current economic climate. The OP is living on welfare and from my reading of it, he is not even sure of redundancy money coming through.
    He has saved up ( fair enough ) and also covered his bills for this month but would it not be better to keep the 1500 he is going to blow in vegas for the future as things arent going to get any better for a while possibly.
    The OP will possibly be looking for extra benefits off the state (as many on the dole do) in the coming months claiming he cannot afford home heating oil etc and the welfare officer will write out a cheque for the oil having pity on him not knowing he spent 1500 in vegas while on the dole.

The first part I put in bold is kinda funny, because all the people on social and complainging and raping the state for 3000 a month thought and said the same thing :)

I didn't go on social straight away, I lived off my savings, this made the welfare office very suspicious and it was harder for me to get social welfare, imagine that. I also don't a cent more than the basic social welfare payment. The social welfare office are also baffled by this. I don't need more so why get more? Although I am thinking of claiming everything under the sun, since I am entitled to :) If I was the OP, I wouldn't go to vegas and I would keep the money, but each to their own. If he wants to go, I won't begrudge him that.
    Wow, one of the cheapist attitudes I've ever seen. Hope I never meet someone like you.

And attitudes like yours got us into this mess in the first place. "Why would I buy that? Sure it's not nearly as expensive as Joes next door"... You should run for government... you would probably get it too :rolleyes:
    It's possible to live off 204 per week. Of course it is. I'm aware that the op paid for his holiday with redundancy money and I don't begrudge him that. My post was aimed at Iamxavier who seems to be of the opinion that it's fine to use dole money to go on holidays. I disagree with that sentiment.

Of course you can live off 204 a week, but I know some who couldn't. My sister couldn't. They would have to eat or sell their children, which isn't a good thing.

It is fine to use dole money to go on holidays, we are entitled to do what we wish with our money. Once we realise that spending our money on holidays means less money for other things, and if we waste our money, there is nothing we can do about it.

Also, your definition of a holiday would be?
    john-joe wrote: »
    ceann_comharle_odono979101_display.jpg

Not the only one spending taxpayers money in vegas!:mad:

Knock yourself out......:rolleyes:

But by right anything you do win all of us Taxpayers own a share:pac::pac:;);)

He isn't spending taxpayers money in vegas... :rolleyes:
    marko91 wrote: »
    im on the dole and last week i have bought myself a sexy 37" HDTV for 800 euro....thanks for the tele lads:cool:

Obvious, troll is obvious...
    you f$cking serious? hope you're trolling with a post like that. sh$t.

Yea I am pretty serious. Went away last January, ate out in a very expensive resturaunt, 11 courses or something... crazy. The wild boar was exquisit...

I guess you assume I spent my dole on this trip, don't you? hehe... funny.
    Yes 204 euro is too much. Far, far, far too much. This country can't afford to sustain such ridiculously high welfare payments. Put simply it will bankrupt us. It is not sustainable. Do you understand this?

Sure, it's the people on the dole, getting 204 a week that's bankrupting us... And what about the 1 million golden handshake that tosser from fas got? That's 4901 social welfare payments... But that's ok right? There are more pressing issues at hand, social welfare will not cripple this country, the politicians will.
    I think you misunderstand the concept of social welfare.

16 months on social welfare, I understand perfectly well :)
    Do you think it is ok for someone on social welfare to spend money on smokes and drink or anything else like it?
    Social welfare should be about providing people with enough money to sustain themselves until they find employment. It is not about funding holidays. It is not about funding unnecessary perks.

Where did I say anywhere in any of my posts that social welfare paid for my holidays? This is the part I love... but people like you gotta think for yourselves, I won't be around forever to help ya ;)

I can't believe people with your opinions even exist.

This world needs more people with my opinions :)

The welfare state needs to die.

The welfare state will not die, it does need reform, but it is a great concept.

Your posts on this thread have honestly sickened me.

Your assumptions sicken me. It's what people get annoyed about, you think that someone is doing something they shouldn't be so you attack them, while they are perfectly innocent. Start thinking, really... think before your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

who the OP or JO'D?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

deadhead13 wrote: »
    "A person may recieve Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance for 2 weeks holiday in any calender year. These holidays may be taken aboard".

This is from Welfare.ie, the frequently asked questions section. The question in this case was - "I booked a holiday last year while I was still employed. If I go on the holiday, will I still get jobseekers payment?

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q18

So, feck the begrudgers OP and enjoy the holiday.

What's your point? All you're doing is highlighting how ridiculously generous the social welfare system in this country is. I'm not saying that people on the dole CAN'T go on holidays, I'm saying that I believe that people on the dole SHOULDN'T be able to afford holidays on the back of welfare payments. I think that makes a mockery of what social welfar should be about.

• Advertisement

emo!! wrote: »

not everything is black and white, i for one dont want to be on the dole and am trying everything not to be, but its hard to get work, i got 3 more rejection letters from jobs today... And if i have enough left over at the end of the week and i want to by a cd or go out and drink (things being deemed fun) i certainly will.. i wont stop living just cause im on the dole. I worked my ass off for the last six years paid my taxes and prsi etc.. people like you make me want to scream, but if it happens to you one day your prespectives will change to match your situation.. and you will see that 204 euro is sfa money, esp for families regardless of what extras they might get aswell

No I don't get a grant. I don't qualify for one as my parents are deemed too wealthy for that. So unlike some of my classmates who live it up off the State through college, I unfortunately have to work part time to fund any expenses. That's another gripe of mine but it's off topic here.

I know it isn't black and white. I have sympathy for people such as yourself who can't find jobs. Believe me I do. I have friends in the same situation. That doesn't change the fact that our welfare system is too generous. If people can survive on substantially lower amounts of welfare in places such as the UK, then I'm sorry, but so can you and multitudes of other Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Obvious, troll is obvious...

Report posts that you believe to be trollish, do not accuse on thread.

Frada has already warned about this, there will be no more warnings.

It's getting really annoying constantly seeing threads turn into dole fights!

For anyone giving out about people on the dole you're obviously lucky enough to never have had to go on it. Well done you. If you lose your job tomorrow I hope you don't fall too hard when getting down off your high horses.

Thankfully I have never been on the dole and nor has my husband, but I'm not deluded into thinking that my job is safe, and if I have to claim it I will not feel bad about it, because I have paid tax every day for the last 13 years and when I get a new job, I will no doubt pay it every day for the next 30 years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wow, one of the cheapist attitudes I've ever seen. Hope I never meet someone like you.
    I'm just telling it like it is, you need all the tricks to keep your money safe in Vegas, they're experts at extracting it out of your pockets, even something that looks like good value will end up taking every penny in your pocket. I only did that a few times anyway. Most the time I went to the off-license and went knacker drinking with the guys handing out those cards for hookers on the street.

No I don't get a grant. I don't qualify for one as my parents are deemed too wealthy for that. So unlike some of my classmates who live it up off the State through college, I unfortunately have to work part time to fund any expenses. That's another gripe of mine but it's off topic here.

I know it isn't black and white. I have sympathy for people such as yourself who can't find jobs. Believe me I do. I have friends in the same situation. That doesn't change the fact that our welfare system is too generous. If people can survive on substantially lower amounts of welfare in places such as the UK, then I'm sorry, but so can you and multitudes of other Irish people.
    cost of living is way cheaper over there fact..

like i said your prespective would change if your situation was different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

'scuse me darling, having a grant to further your education is miles apart from being on the dole. I actually have no problem with people drawing the dole but misinformed posts such as the above makes me wana scream. :)

Another misinformed load of drivel. You can't possibly ''live it up'' on the education grant.

cost of living is way cheaper over there fact..

like i said your prespective would change if your situation was different

It's not cheaper to the tune of the difference in amounts paid in social welfare. Fact. I know people who live in England. I've spent time there. Ireland is more expensive to live in but it is NOT "way" cheaper over there. Please don't say that is a fact. It is not a fact. If you think 60 pounds in England is the equivalent of 204 euro in Ireland then you are very disillusioned.

Oh and for your information my perspective would not change if my situation was different. I feel very strongly about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Yeah I'm on the dole and went to Vegas. Great time, went to a few shows and camped out at the West Ranch in the Grand Canyon, helicopter flight back too.

Just back from Amsterdam and heading to New York in Jan. I feel a job would just get in the way.

john-joe wrote: »
    who the OP or JO'D?

What???

Hopalong... surely you want to know how I could afford my 3 trips away last year? Or are you all out of assumptions?

MizzLolly wrote: »
    'scuse me darling, having a grant to further your education is miles apart from being on the dole. I actually have no problem with people drawing the dole but misinformed posts such as the above makes me wana scream. :)

Another misinformed load of drivel. You can't possibly ''live it up'' on the education grant.
    i was saying it in realtion to him , not anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

rizzla wrote: »
    Yeah I'm on the dole and went to Vegas. Great time, went to a few shows and camped out at the West Ranch in the Grand Canyon, helicopter flight back too.

Just back from Amsterdam and heading to New York in Jan. I feel a job would just get in the way.

Banned for trolling, you had two warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Just wondering are there many others on the dole going to vegas?

Im sure there are plenty.

Considering there are well over 300,000 unemployed people in the country with all that time on their hands, Vegas is really one of the first places that would spring to mind.

Granted - you booked the holiday before you were let go, but asking the question "Just wondering are there many others on the dole going to vegas?" is about as rare as asking "well guyz, ive 3 nuts in my ball sack and i support Yeovil Town FC is there any other Yeovil town supporters out there with 3 nuts? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It's getting really annoying constantly seeing threads turn into dole fights!

For anyone giving out about people on the dole you're obviously lucky enough to never have had to go on it. Well done you. If you lose your job tomorrow I hope you don't fall too hard when getting down off your high horses.

Thankfully I have never been on the dole and nor has my husband, but I'm not deluded into thinking that my job is safe, and if I have to claim it I will not feel bad about it, because I have paid tax every day for the last 13 years and when I get a new job, I will no doubt pay it every day for the next 30 years too.

Look the guy is just trolling and sucking in people big time.

If he wants to go to Vegas , ok go ahead , spend your bucks, sure fire away, let him at it.

What we won't hear is the mind numbing boredom when he comes back and has to sit out days and days ands weeks of nothing to do.

Go ahead and enjoy yourself buddy.

It's not cheaper to the tune of the difference in amounts paid in social welfare. Fact. I know people who live in England. I've spent time there. Ireland is more expensive to live in but it is NOT "way" cheaper over there. Please don't say that is a fact. It is not a fact. If you think 60 pounds in England is the equivalent of 204 euro in Ireland then you are very disillusioned.

Oh and for your information my perspective would not change if my situation was different. I feel very strongly about this issue.
    we'll see

snyper wrote: »
    "well guyz, ive 3 nuts in my ball sack and i support Yeovil Town FC is there any other Yeovil town supporters out there with 3 nuts? "

that made me lol!

Actually, the funny thing is, I reckon most Yeovil supporters have fairly odd balls :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

16 months on social welfare

Thats far too long..you mean to say you couldnt find anything in that time?
    IKEA recently took on hundreds of people..did they turn you down?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Degsy wrote: »

Apparently, he went to the interview, when he left he was in bits.

Iamxavier, I'm not sure how to multi quote like you did. Anyway I'll try to address what you said.

I don't believe it is fine to use dole money to fund a holiday. We just have different beliefs on what welfare should be about. I believe it should be about providing the bare minimum necessary for survival. You do not. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

Unfortunately for you, I fear that things will almost certainly change with regard to our welfare system in the near future. My definition of a holiday? Really? Don't think I need to justify that with an answer.

You said a poster was trolling when he mentioned buying a new tv. Immediately underneath this statement you boasted about eating an 11 course meal on a foreign holiday. Ironic.

You imply you didn't pay for said holiday from dole money. Being on the dole, yes I did assume you paid for it with dole money. If you have other resources then I'm unsure as to why you're claiming welfare in the first place. Perhaps you'd care to expand on this?

I completely agree that there are many other factors which are crippling this country. However for you to deny that our welfare bill is contributing to our problems is simply wrong. Welfare is costing the country a colossal amount. An unsustainable amount in fact.

You have been on social welfare for 16 months? That's a very long time. Have you been actively seeking employment during this period? I've seen many shops, fast food restaurants and pubs advertising a need for staff in the past 16 months. Perhaps where you live things are different.

I think it's ok for people on the dole to spend money on items such as alcohol and cigarrettes. Sure. I'm not draconian. The welfare State is not great at all, it needs dramatic reform. Hope I've covered everything. Not sure where you're coming from with the "assumption" angle. I call it as I see it, and I'm usually quite good at analyzing situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

drkpower wrote: »
    Its not about "deserving" anything. Social Welfare/Dole is not/should not be a lifestyle choice; it is a way of helping those who are temporarily out of work. Aside from people who cannot work (due to disability etc), it should not be paid after a certain fixed period of time (lets say 1-2 years). After that, it should be doscontinued or paid in return for certain work of a civic nature. That way, people are able to live but the State gets something in return. If the person doesnt want to do that work, then they should get nothing.

During the periosd of unemployment, while people can do with the money as they please, Vegas, Thailand, dancing girls, whatever. I certainly would have thought that spending a wedge on it on a relatively expensive holiday at thats tage of one's life was a little irresponsible, but hey, we all do irresponsible things all the time and sure that's what Vegas is for.

I have no problem in working so your answer is if your still on the dole in a years time then they should be paid to cival work? well ok then so aout of nowhere the government will just give us on the dole job despite the fact he already made cuts for such positions? Seeing as there must be enough jobs for all us folk on the dole then why wait? just fast forward and give/invent jobs for us and increase your taxes by double or treble to cover the cost?
    Honestly how would it work?

snyper wrote: »
    Im sure there are plenty.

Considering there are well over 300,000 unemployed people in the country with all that time on their hands, Vegas is really one of the first places that would spring to mind.

Granted - you booked the holiday before you were let go, but asking the question "Just wondering are there many others on the dole going to vegas?" is about as rare as asking "well guyz, ive 3 nuts in my ball sack and i support Yeovil Town FC is there any other Yeovil town supporters out there with 3 nuts? "

I think that number was up at about 430,000 mark? It couldn't be down to 300,000 this soon.
    Degsy wrote: »

Oh? There's a time frame to be on social now? What is it oh wise librarian...?

I applied for two jobs in IKEA, I live right next to the M50, forklift licence, 3 years experience in a similar role and I am educated. That last part seems to be getting in the way of a lot of jobs. "you are over qualified" or "you don't have enough experience" is the normal crap.

I see people working in jobs that they haven't a clue about, I could do it blindfolded, and for cheaper :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

IOh? There's a time frame to be on social now? What is it oh wise librarian...?

Well nearly two years to an able-bodied male is a bit too long to be completley out of work dont you think?

MizzLolly wrote: »

Haha, it isn't drivel. I have friends who receive the grant. They are able to have a very good social life on the back of the grant. I'm sure this isn't the case for all people receiving the grant but it certainly is for some. Keep in mind I'm speaking of people I actually know here, so please don't spout on about misinformed drivel.

we'll see

Not sure what you mean by this. What will we see? What I said is factual information. Are you refuting it or something? Sorry I just find your reply very vague and I'm not sure what to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Haha, it isn't drivel. I have friends who receive the grant. They are able to have a very good social life on the back of the grant. I'm sure this isn't the case for all people receiving the grant but it certainly is for some. Keep in mind I'm speaking of people I actually know here, so please don't spout on about misinformed drivel.

You're not speaking from personal experience. You're going by what a friend says. Hardly reliable evidence. I'm getting the government grant and I'm working part time aswell. I know first hand and I'm afraid what you posted m'dear is very misinformed.

You cannot 'live it up' solely on the education grant. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

Iamxavier, I'm not sure how to multi quote like you did. Anyway I'll try to address what you said.

I don't believe it is fine to use dole money to fund a holiday. We just have different beliefs on what welfare should be about. I believe it should be about providing the bare minimum necessary for survival. You do not. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

Unfortunately for you, I fear that things will almost certainly change with regard to our welfare system in the near future. My definition of a holiday? Really? Don't think I need to justify that with an answer.

You said a poster was trolling when he mentioned buying a new tv. Immediately underneath this statement you boasted about eating an 11 course meal on a foreign holiday. Ironic.

You imply you didn't pay for said holiday from dole money. Being on the dole, yes I did assume you paid for it with dole money. If you have other resources then I'm unsure as to why you're claiming welfare in the first place. Perhaps you'd care to expand on this?

I completely agree that there are many other factors which are crippling this country. However for you to deny that our welfare bill is contributing to our problems is simply wrong. Welfare is costing the country a colossal amount. An unsustainable amount in fact.

You have been on social welfare for 16 months? That's a very long time. Have you been actively seeking employment during this period? I've seen many shops, fast food restaurants and pubs advertising a need for staff in the past 16 months. Perhaps where you live things are different.

I think it's ok for people on the dole to spend money on items such as alcohol and cigarrettes. Sure. I'm not draconian. The welfare State is not great at all, it needs dramatic reform. Hope I've covered everything. Not sure where you're coming from with the "assumption" angle. I call it as I see it, and I'm usually quite good at analyzing situations.

I have no problem with them cutting the dole as long as the cut the price of living further. i know things have gone down but not enough.It easy to say that when your not on the dole, Petrol still exepnsive , public transport still expensive. mortgage and loans are they just going to go away because welfare bills are costing the state money? no they not are they so how are people going to pay them? ANSWER: They are not going to and there could be double the number of reprocessions and so the banks are going to be in a worse state which is going to drive the country into further recession than keeping the dole at what its at now. As i noted in a earlier post i will have about under €300 a month after paying bills. If i had to travel any sort of distance for a job interiew i would have to live on bread and water unless i can use my spare time to learn to play a violin and go busking.
    So i simply wont be able to pay my car loan if its cut too much so thats €4500 of debt to the bank, now if its just me then not to worry but if there are other in the same situation then whats goin to happen? are the banks not going to be hit badly? then what? oh your taxes will be increased and used to bail out the banks even more which will drive the country into recession further where you might end up out of a job and the guess what???
    you will be on the dole struggling to survive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement