Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On The dole and going to las vegas

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

drkpower wrote: »
    So, your point is that the Government should continue to pay people more money that it can afford so that those people can repay their loans to the bank so that the banks will survive and wont need bailouts.....!! Nice one.
    Listen; the Government is €20,000,000,000 in the red every year. If it doesnt cut SW (and everything else), it will no longer be able to pay for anything; it will be forced to get a loan from the IMF and SW will be cut to somewhere in the region of €60-70 per week. Is that what you want? Because that is what following your suggestions would lead to.

Hey; go to Vegas if you want. But what you just said is a cop out, pure and simple. Its not a budget-neutral situation and if you think it is your financial worries are worse than I first appreciated.

Then how about they cut ministers salaries further along with public transport. i did not say there should be no cuts for social welfare as i stated earlier it should be means tested. If the government cut things that much to €60 a week what bill would be paid? you would not be able to afford one bill to pay. that would be the same thing as saying the entire country of dole collectors are now homeless. I cant see that ever happening and if it did there would be a militia like the SS in germany in after world war one when people could not afford the price of bread. such a move would not just be political suicide it would just be suicide full stop. So in conclusion if they cut the social welfare and in months time you turn on the news and it say "since the last budget banks have lost billions and more and more people are being made homeless so taxes will need to be increased for more bail outs you will be happy that social welfare was cut? yes /no answer please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

ffs I thought you'd be well gone by now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

When are you going? Can I tag along? I want to go too. Garth brooks is playing there soon, i really want to see him. I better give up the job i hate and join the dole so i can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

j2u wrote: »
    If the government cut things that much to €60 a week what bill would be paid? you would not be able to afford one bill to pay. .

Have you heard of the IMF? They wont give a damn who can pay their bills - they will care about one thing, bringing the public finances under control. If you have to default on your mortgage, car loan and move into a half built housing estate in Portlaoise, they wont care.
    So in conclusion if they cut the social welfare and in months time you turn on the news and it say "since the last budget banks have lost billions and more and more people are being made homeless so taxes will need to be increased for more bail outs you will be happy that social welfare was cut? yes /no answer please.

Im not sure if the numbers of people on (intermediate to long term) SW who also have mortgages is that significant. And in any case, if the Government cant afford any further bail outs, tough the bank goes under. That may cause a whole lot of other problems, but in a competition between the problems that failing banks brings and the problems that a failing State brings, I'll choose the former. I dont think you realise that this very State is in danger for its existence if it doesnt cut, and cut significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Last place I'd go is Las Vegas. Dole or not.
    Never been so monetarily dissatisfied.

The place leaves you wondering if you should tip the automated voucher redeeming machines, but eh, best of luck, lets hope you meet a rich tycoon and get married by Elvis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You'll have a sh*t time in Vegas of all places if you're on the dole.

Little or no disposable income to gamble with. And theres f*ck all else to do in Vegas really. Its way too humid and warm outside to even walk around.

You're gonna spend your week sitting around watching people who actually work for a living enjoy themselves with the fruits of their hard earned labour, while you forlornly ration your quarters in a flower pot over the entire seven days in the hope you win a few dollars in a slot machine, like an unwanted Granny.

Enjoy your long empty evenings in you sh*tty motel room with its broken air conditioning and Tv that only annoys you further by showing films about MORE paopel actually spending real money in Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

flahavaj wrote: »
    Enjoy your long empty evenings in you sh*tty motel room with its broken air conditioning and Tv that only annoys you further by showing films about MORE paopel actually spending real money in Vegas.
    that would be terrible! paopel is an annoying git, I'd hate to watch him hoppin and skippin about throwin money around like theres no tomorrow!

drkpower wrote: »
    Have you heard of the IMF? They wont give a damn who can pay their bills - they will care about one thing, bringing the public finances under control. If you have to default on your mortgage, car loan and move into a half built housing estate in Portlaoise, they wont care.

Im not sure if the numbers of people on (intermediate to long term) SW who also have mortgages is that significant. And in any case, if the Government cant afford any further bail outs, tough the bank goes under. That may cause a whole lot of other problems, but in a competition between the problems that failing banks brings and the problems that a failing State brings, I'll choose the former. I dont think you realise that this very State is in danger for its existence if it doesnt cut, and cut significantly.

the feeling of the IMF will be mutual and the government would need to travel in cars like the pope has because people would try to take their life.
    its not an extreme idea its a logical outcome look back at history throughout europe. But the banks wont be told tough thats just it. the country needs banks. Anglo irish was pretty much a dead dog and a bank thats reputation had been smashed beyond repair and yet we bailed that out. They were not told tough were they?
    Watched addicted to money on tv3 earlier and economists said that they think if we could see the future they expect to see increased violence and riots. theres the tourism sector gone further down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya,

I didn't read all of this thread because I got sick of reading all the replies saying you shouldn't be going, jealousy is funny isn't it :)

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but The Nine Fine Irishmen Bar in New York New York has free admission for holders of Irish passports, it's a brilliant spot. You can pay like $20 and get stacks of discount cards and passes into places, we got tickets into clubs and loads of Buy 1 Beer Get 1 Free vouchers for Dicks Last Resort in Excalibur, love that place, it's hilarious. I was in Vegas from Friday to Monday morning and spent about $400, but I won back $180 on a $5 bet on roulette, so it was possibly one of the cheapest trips anyone has ever done there :D

Also, and this was sneaky but so worth it, we used to sit at the slots with loads of $1 bills, a couple of bigger bills too, then when we'd see a waitress we'd feck in maybe $2, she'd see us playing, come over, take our order, and as soon as she was gone we'd just sit, wait til we saw her coming back, then put another dollar up to the slot but not put it in, take our drink and skidaddle :) So the drinks were costing us about $2 each, it was great!

Also, there's a bar called Ellis Island, it is the single shadiest place I have ever been, but they do pints for $1.

Have a great time!

Little or no disposable income to gamble with. And theres f*ck all else to do in Vegas really. Its way too humid and warm outside to even walk around.

You're gonna spend your week sitting around watching people who actually work for a living enjoy themselves with the fruits of their hard earned labour, while you forlornly ration your quarters in a flower pot over the entire seven days in the hope you win a few dollars in a slot machine, like an unwanted Granny.

im only going a week and i have over $2000 so i think ill be ok. my friends still have jobs and they are bringing about the same. i reckon ill be ok and besides im just goinG to double up on roulette when i get there. IM gonna spend my week gambling and banging strippers . and i promise i will post pictures of both .BOOM BABY

• Advertisement

It's just Fox news, and ads about Healthcare and having the perfect garden/laxative.
    Apparently you are a failure in Las Vegas if you don't have the perfect lawn.
    I was brainwashed into Lawn care and I only listened to it for half an hour whilst getting ready to go out.

With the exception of the odd, well thats a bit mad moment, I found the overall tone of the place depressing, and I really tried to enjoy myself, honest.
    But I found myself wanting to be really sarcastic and mean to everyone, because I was being ripped off, and I wasn't on the dole.
    P.S. Don't eat the hash browns...anywhere. The oil tastes like industrial waste.

that would be terrible! paopel is an annoying git, I'd hate to watch him hoppin and skippin about throwin money around like theres no tomorrow!

who the hell is paopel?

who the hell is paopel?

Yep, by the time the first night ends it'll be like the film the hangover, but mixed with a little from Dusk till Dawn and a serious helping of Midnight Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

been to vegas 5-6 times and i never gamble and always find tonnes of things to do at night, e.g. on one night why not head downtown watch the fremont street experience, take in a $6 prime-rib meal at california, hogs and heifers for a few drinks, laze by the pool at golden nugget and watch the sharks swim (its free even if you are not staying at the nugget), visit the neon museum, see the berlin wall at main street station and finally get free entry into golden nuggets nightclub which has a deck overlooking fremont experience

vegas is only hot in july and august and there is zero humidity in the desert even in mid-summer (just pointing that out), ever been there in january when its 16 degrees during the day and close to freezing at night?? or october/november/march/april when its 20-22 degrees during the day?? anyone visiting vegas in july-august should know that the mojave is the hottest desert in the world, you should expect places like vegas and phoenix to be hot enough to boil an egg

and who the hell books a motel room in vegas when you have 5 star resorts currently on offer for less than 100 euro a night, i booked rooms at imperial palace for march (mid strip 3 star hotel) for $20 a night just last week, that included early check in at 10am and late check out by 4pm on day i leave

btw if you are watching tv in vegas you are doing something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

...l'm only going for a week and l have over $2000...

Oh-Oh, l'd duck if l was you....are you ready for the....?

INCOMING!!!! ;)

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    ...l'm only going for a week and l have over $2000...

Oh-Oh, l'd duck if l was you....are you ready for the....?

INCOMING!!!! ;)

what are you saying?? i think ill find a way to manage $200 a night. from what i hear to go out in ireland is more expensive than vegas so if you had already covered accomadation would €1400 be enough for a week here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

what are you saying?? i think ill find a way to manage $200 a night. from what i hear to go out in ireland is more expensive than vegas so if you had already covered accomadation would €1400 be enough for a week here?

Okay, now your just taking the pi** .. nobody's that naive. I think you know very well what that post was getting at. Who do you think your kidding.

A lot of the the posts of 'good luck' have been tongue in cheek in case you hadn't caught on .. mine was at least. You've got your attention now just wait for your flight and quit goading people into responding with responses that you know very well , will be to put arguments to you that you, so far at least, can't justify.

€1400 is a tidy little sum to someone on the dole and some people have to apply for grants for similar amounts in order to start small businesses etc

Don't know about others but it's the last i'm saying on this thread. Yawn ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nico22 wrote: »
    Okay, now your just taking the pi** .. nobody's that naive. I think you know very well what that post was getting at. Who do you think your kidding.

A lot of the the posts of 'good luck' have been tongue in cheek in case you hadn't caught on .. mine was at least. You've got your attention now just wait for your flight and quit goading people into responding with responses that you know very well , will be to put arguments to you that you, so far at least, can't justify.

€1400 is a tidy little sum to someone on the dole and some people have to apply for grants for similar amounts in order to start small businesses etc

Unbefuckinglivable, don't you know there was tsumami in Asia a few weeks ago and here you are talking about small business loans?!

Talk about insensitive.

Spadina wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but The Nine Fine Irishmen Bar in New York New York

Brilliant, In a thread about the dole and Vegas with sub-themes of the recession/depression we are in, the perilous state of the Nation and the savage cuts and bail outs that are occurring becasue of the way the country was run and the irresponsibility of many, particularly the bankers, someone reccomends The Nine Fine Irishmen Bar in New York New York.....

Remember that place?; thats the place that Seanie Fitz from Anglo bought with the millions he borrowed from Anglo. So, perhaps you might want to rethink your reccomendation?! (or maybe if it does well, he may pay the bloody money back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's a fun bar, he's going on holiday presumably to have fun, no I won't rethink my recommendation, or is fun not allowed during a recession? Are we all just supposed to wallow in self pity and moan and bitch about the state of the country?

• Advertisement

Nico22 wrote: »

What exactly is your point ? i did not say €1400 wasnt a tidy some, i said it was enough. €650 of that is from my own savings and the rest is from the dole i saved.the only reason i could save that money was because i had other savings in my bank to cover my car loan and other bills up to now so its not because the dole is so high that i had it easy its just that i had some sense to start saving over a year ago. how could i start and SUSTAIN a business in this market when im only coming out with less than €300 a month after bills?
    so in conclusion i will manage out my money over there in vegas and keep the lavish spennding until the last few days and go nuts gambling and banging strippers. Im just living the dream:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

What exactly is your point ? i did not say €1400 wasnt a tidy some, i said it was enough. €650 of that is from my own savings and the rest is from the dole i saved.the only reason i could save that money was because i had other savings in my bank to cover my car loan and other bills up to now so its not because the dole is so high that i had it easy its just that i had some sense to start saving over a year ago. how could i start and SUSTAIN a business in this market when im only coming out with less than €300 a month after bills?
    so in conclusion i will manage out my money over there in vegas and keep the lavish spennding until the last few days and go nuts gambling and banging strippers. Im just living the dream:D

Don't mind them they're all just jealous... when I was a student I managed a 1500 euro holiday to the dominican republic & I got 100 quid a month grant...

If you want it that much you get the money end of... Im working full time now & couldn't even afford a holiday this year...

He's obviously cutting other luxuries to be able to afford the holiday so it evens itself out!

He's entitled to his dole he worked & paid PRSI... so everyone cop on & stop gettin jealous.. be glad you have a job!!

Spadina wrote: »
    It's a fun bar, he's going on holiday presumably to have fun, no I won't rethink my recommendation, or is fun not allowed during a recession? Are we all just supposed to wallow in self pity and moan and bitch about the state of the country?

Settle down, you can go where you please!

Mind you, I tend not to frequent the establishments owned by people I dislike greatly. And there's plenty of fun places in Vegas. Just thought people should know about the people behind the place, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

This thread made page 28 of the weekend review in the independent. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    This thread made page 28 of the weekend review in the independent. Keep up the good work.

That's brilliant.
    Been looking for the article online but cant find it. Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

WeeBushy wrote: »
    That's brilliant.
    Been looking for the article online but cant find it. Do you have a link?

Nah, i've a hard copy of it. I'll have a look for it now, they usually mention one or two threads every week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement