Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout on avenue road.

Options
  • 18-10-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the problems concerning this particular area?

Its been on going for some time now and I am not sure who to complain about it to. Whenever myself and fiancee stand at the lights, we hit them, and wait for the green man to cross, however when it does cars are breaking the lights and still following through, previously it happened to us again as did it on numerous other dates, and we saw a whole load of cars breaking the lights and the police car just sitting on the same road watching them do it.

Are we the only ones who noticed this? surely there must be others out there who experienced the same problem? It's very dangerous, I've seen a woman having to run across the road with her pram, because a car ( although the light was green ) was still on coming.

God bless
    Stephen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

I drive through it daily and always stop at the red light.
    While stopped on Friday, a Taxi came past on my right
    and sped through the red light while a young fellow
    was cycling in front of me crossing the road.It was a close call.
    If you take their number and report them,they can be charged if you go as witness.Someone will be seriously hurt some day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

qc3 wrote: »
    I drive through it daily and always stop at the red light.
    While stopped on Friday, a Taxi came past on my right
    and sped through the red light while a young fellow
    was cycling in front of me crossing the road.It was a close call.
    If you take their number and report them,they can be charged if you go as witness.Someone will be seriously hurt some day .

Thank you qc3, I'm somewhat consoled surrounding the fact that someone else has experienced this dangerous area of the avenue road.

seeing as its not just one car a month that does it, thats it more a case of many cars throughout the day, I feel that taking one of them down may not be enough, they should intall cameras at that place, and create extra signs. The traffic lights can also go red for the drivers whilst they are still in motion on roundabout, therefore creating confusion for the driver as to whether or not he can or cannot proceed through the light.

so a huge big sign and plenty of police surveying the area could put a stop to it. that and a good write up in the local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

People are always breaking the lights here, I know someone who got pulled over for breaking the lights. He ended up with 2 points and a fine.

Traffic lights on a roundabout, bound to cause confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

amcalester wrote: »
    People are always breaking the lights here, I know someone who got pulled over for breaking the lights. He ended up with 2 points and a fine.

Traffic lights on a roundabout, bound to cause confusion.

Yes your right, it works on both sides, the drivers who are in motion on roundabout are confused as to whether they have to stop or not, and other drivers know quite well that they are not supposed to move at all from their position before the lights.

Hopefully this thread will smoke'em out, creat more awareness relating to the danger and bring an end to it.

039_10788~Clint-Eastwood.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

I believe this junction is up for a re-design. There is a bit here about it on the government's e-tender page:

Link: http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR101800

There was also an article in the Argus a year or so ago stating that the traffic lights may be removed altogether.

• Advertisement
Advertisement