Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harold's cross Vs Rathmines

Options
  • 18-10-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me would Rathmines or Harolds cross be considered a better area or around the same? In Estate agent speak.

Would a similar house in both areas fetch the same amount amount for rent/sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Depends where in Harolds X but for the most part I'd say Rathmines fetches more as its closer to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I'd rate Rathmines higher in terms of amenities too (shops, eating out etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A place in Rathmines should cost more then Harolds cross. Far bigger and better selection of shops, pubs, take-aways, restraunts, bus services etc in rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

damnyanks wrote: »
    Depends where in Harolds X but for the most part I'd say Rathmines fetches more as its closer to town.

Near the dog track, there doesnt seem to be much around there. Even a bit rough/dilapidated, around mount argus. I am guessing the rathmines address would have a bit more of a snob factor, if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I lived in Harold's Cross for years and I loved it. You're close enough to Rathmines to have access to all the pubs and shops but you're away from the bustle and in a much quieter area. If the rent is Harold's Cross is cheaper I'd take it - definitely!

The only reason I moved away is because money's getting tight, would have stayed otherwise!

• Advertisement

cosmic wrote: »
    I lived in Harold's Cross for years and I loved it. You're close enough to Rathmines to have access to all the pubs and shops but you're away from the bustle and in a much quieter area. If the rent is Harold's Cross is cheaper I'd take it - definitely!

The only reason I moved away is because money's getting tight, would have stayed otherwise!

I suppose but then your a bit further from Ranelagh too.

irishguy wrote: »
    I suppose but then your a bit further from Ranelagh too.

This is true, but only by about 10 minutes. When I first moved to Harold's Cross I thought the same thing but to be honest, apart from Lazer, there's not a lot in Ranelagh other than over-priced coffee shops and bars! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And Bistro Bianconi

drools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

harolds cross has gone like a ghost town over the last few months. years ago people used to stop there now you just go through it. its a pity the cinema was knocked and lidl was refused permission to build on the site
    the dogs is the only draw to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Rathmines has a better rep and better stuff in general.

Harolds X is pretty much fine, few mates lived there happily for a couple of years, but it can be a bit rough in a couple of places. You'd want to keep an eye open there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If you want shops and amenities on your doorstep, go for Rathmines. If you want some peace and quiet, Harold's Cross is the better choice.

One thing about Harlolds Cross - it has a reputation of a high rate of break ins/burglaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Rathmines is close to the Luas, so if you like shopping in Dundrum or if you work in Sandyford then it's handy.

Somebody mentioned Rathmines having a snob-factor. Tbh, I don't get a snob vibe at all; rather it's the rough-and-ready first cousin of Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

harolds cross is nice and quiet, rathmines is very close, I cycle to the tesco there, takes 8mins!
    you've also got terenure just past harolds cross.

The place I am looking at is just by the dog track on Harold's cross road. The only thing is the resale factor, as I am thinking people think rathmines is a more affluent area so a house would fetch more/is easier to sell. As there are allot more houses in Harold's cross that are cheaper (I am thinking mount argus)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

irishguy wrote: »
    (I am thinking mount argus)

AFAIK the houses in Mount Argos have walls like paper. I've never lived in one, I always lived on Harold's Cross Road, but friends of mine have and any time I'd call over to their house you could hear everything going on next door. Not good :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

cosmic wrote: »
    AFAIK the houses in Mount Argos have walls like paper. I've never lived in one, I always lived on Harold's Cross Road, but friends of mine have and any time I'd call over to their house you could hear everything going on next door. Not good :eek:

I live in mount argus and walls are definately paper thin, but if neighbours are decent noise shouldnt be a problem, at least late at night. Rathmines has far more to offer amenity wise but its only a 10 min walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Mount Argus is more Crumlin/Kimmage really...i wouldnt reccomend it....was burgled there once and attempted again..walls are thin and its very rented.....Rathmines is better....Just make sure you make the decision considering how close you are to the dodgy kips...

Mount Argus is more Crumlin/Kimmage really...i wouldnt reccomend it....was burgled there once and attempted again..walls are thin and its very rented.....Rathmines is better....Just make sure you make the decision considering how close you are to the dodgy kips...

Its next to the dog track, that I am looking at. Noticed the Mount argus houses are quite a bit cheaper. The thing that was putting me off is that the estate/houses are not very well looked after and they are very rented also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

harolds cross is nice and quiet, rathmines is very close, I cycle to the tesco there, takes 8mins!

slow cycling? :D 2 mins down leinster rd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Rathmines has the shops. Rathmines wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

slow cycling? :D 2 mins down leinster rd

well I have to pay for the stuff, it takes at least a few mins for that!

and you gotta add the few mins it actually takes to get to leinster road in the first place

Advertisement