Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having wireless turned on affecting speed of wired connection.

• 18-10-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Edit: Not sure if this should go in Broadband or wireless as it's sort of relevant to both I think!

A friend of mine as well as myself are both facing an unusual situation.

Relevant information:_
    1. Both of us live in Portugal but about 15 km apart.
    2. When we enable wireless in our routers (his Belkin N Wireless, mine Netgear 834G Wireless) - and I do mean just enable - i.e. we are both still using wired, the download speed dramatically drops on the wired connection- his download speed is approx 200kbps wired, but it drops to approx 40 kbps with wireless enabled. I've got the exact same issue with mine. We've tried several different channels on both routers, tried different encyptions, different 802.1 settings etc etc and nothing seems to make a significant difference except turning wireless off.

We are both relatively far from our respective exchanges. His download line attenuation is 61kb which I believe makes him about 4.5 Kms from his exchange. I'm at something similar or even a little bit worse.

Could the longish distance we are from the exchange impact this?
    At my last address here I was on a more expensive package and had no problems, now that I'm on a cheap package just wondering if it would be possible perhaps for our Isp to do something which would affect our wireless connectivity?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Interesting problem . My connection is not at all senstive to wireless at 30db ...on or off makes no difference.

aa3019_p350w.jpg

It is that 3 pin unit ?? The Danes use it too I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Interesting problem . My connection is not at all senstive to wireless at 30db ...on or off makes no difference.

Well I've never knowingly encountered the problem prior to now - my line attenuation is pretty attrocious it has to be said at 63 dbs - my connection keeps dropping. I'm paying for the cheap package here which is 4mbs package - but I'm getting tops 1mbs.
    It is that 3 pin unit ?? The Danes use it too I think .

Nope, Portugal uses same connections as Ireland.

I think it might be pure coincidence btw that my friend has the same problem, as when I tested my router on his line it actually worked fine with wireless switched on.

I'm just wondering if it is possible in theory for the ISP to do something to deliberately affect wireless connectivity?

Nope, it is a local or line issue . Could be the router uses too much power holding teh connection and has not got any to spare for the wireless. Certain Netgears are known for their stability on long or marginal lines though.

Have a read of this

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

and have you tried with NO filter plugged in, just modem into socket .

Ok, looks like the problem is just with the Belkin model - after testing it some more in my home setup - looks like wireless is just as good as my wired connection, the original test I did I think it just happened that I had a peak connection when i tested wired, now both are equally crap :(. Methinks I will switch to 3G.

Anyway the issue still remains with my mates' Belkin - and there is definitely a problem with that as I've tested it to death.

It is a belkin and belkin is crap .

• Advertisement

It is a belkin and belkin is crap .

lol - I've always found Belkin crap too tbh :D. It's very probably why alright. Still don't know how to sort it though - unless I tell him buy Netgear ;)

Advertisement