Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabaret

Options
  • 18-10-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Has anyone seen Cabaret in the Gaiety? Was thinking of going but its a long drive so wondering if its worth it. Is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Been getting mixed reviews. Some people have walked out as the first half is a bit 'racey'. S'all I can tell ya really.

eimear87 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Cabaret in the Gaiety? Was thinking of going but its a long drive so wondering if its worth it. Is it any good?

Cabaret was a bit of a joke to be honest. Well Wayne Sleep was, he was obviously injured at the last Sat matinee and didn't do the solo dance, which he then commented on and commented on the Abbey Theatre.

His voice was not up to scratch and to be honest he didn't seem fit enough for the role.

Moving the interval had a detremental effect on the show imo, it was very presentational and as a result the audience wasn't emotional invested.

I shouldn't have expected much more from Bill Kenwright Productions, i saw Joseph in the Gaiety and almost had a heart attack it was so appaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eimear87

Really? I saw it friday night and he didnt do the dance either but he kind of made a bit of a joke out of it. I didnt think it effected the show that much. Overall i thought it was very good. I've never seen it before so I didnt notice any change in the interval etc., but I thought the acting and singing was brilliant.

eimear87 wrote: »
    Really? I saw it friday night and he didnt do the dance either but he kind of made a bit of a joke out of it. I didnt think it effected the show that much. Overall i thought it was very good. I've never seen it before so I didnt notice any change in the interval etc., but I thought the acting and singing was brilliant.

Well for me the minute he referenced it, he dropped out of character. The engagement party should be just before the interval and should be quite unsettling for the audience also the scene with Wayne Sleep as mentioned above is the turning point of the musical when we should realise the horror that we have participated in, they really didn't build to this and that could be sensed from the audience, ie a lack of interest.

It's a fantastic show about a brutal time in history and the writing is so well crafted to basically draw the audience in and spit them back out, i guess it wasn't as hard as i expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 martinsmith

Hello,

I am Martin.This is my first visit to site.I am new to this site,but I’ve enjoyed posting in your forums.Welcome to the forum.Cabaret was a bit of a joke to be honest,he was obviously injured at the last Sat matinee and didn't do the solo dance,on the Abbey Theatre.His voice was not up to scratch and to be honest.I like Cabaret voice.You have to listen.I have guess it wasn't as hard as i expected.Thank you very much and Stay connected with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jonedevis

Hello friends,
    I know only about that Cabaret is a musical with a book by Joe masteroff lyrics by Fred Ebb, and music by John Kander. The 1966 Broadway production became a hit and spawned a 1972 film as well as numerous subsequent productions.

Advertisement