Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring bulbs starting to grow now... whatthe???

Options
  • 18-10-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi I hope someone can help me out. I'm new to gardening and since I don't have flower beds I've been using pots instead. Last Spring I planted tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and other spring plants in pots. They looked lovely for about 2/3 months and then they wilted and disappeared. I also planted ivy and pansies in the pots and they've stayed all summer. I've kept the pots outside and was looking forward to seeing the flowers again next Spring. Not too long ago I put a little plant food in some water and watered the pots because the pansies were starting to look tired. Since then the pansies have come along very well..... but the other bulbs have started sprouting too. Now I don't know what to do and I hope someone can give me advice.

Will the newly sprouting plants survive the winter? Or, should I cut away the new growth in the hope that the bulbs will go back asleep and not start growing again until spring? Or, should I just enjoy my spring flowers now and bring the pots inside if I think its going to freeze overnight? Also, if the plants continue to grow now will they still be alive in Spring?

Suggestions/tips v welcome. Thank you :)

Advertisement