Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake Storage

Options
  • 18-10-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I've just made a Christmas cake (first time ever!) and I'm dying to try a piece of it before wrapping it up until Christmas.

Is it ok to cut a piece out of the cake to eat and then wrap up the rest, or will those edges go dry or a bit off over the next couple of months?

Similarly would it be ok to cut the cake into halves or quarters and wrap them up separately? It would be handy to bring a quarter of a cake (it's a big cake!) when visiting someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I would not cut it :) You should not only store the cake to Christmas but also feed it with brandy from time to time and turn :)

I usually bake 12" square cakes and cut them into 6" or 4" square minicakes right before decoration, i.e. it's left to mature in one piece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Whats the procedure to feed the cake and can I use Whiskey instead?
    Any chance I can have your recipe?!

Feeding the cake - I drizzle my fruit cakes from time to time with brandy or rum (I've never tried whiskey, but think that it's up to you :) ). For example, today I drizzled them on the top, wrapped in a greaseproof paper and stored in the cupboard that way, ie top up. Next time I will turn them upside down and drizzle from the "bottom", wrap into the same paper again and leave to mature that way, ie "bottom". Then in several days again - take out - turn over - drizzle - etc.

This is the recepie I use for my Christmas fruit cakes.

The Christmas Cake (Rich Fruit Cake)

Ingredients:

•450g/1lb Strong Flour
    •350g/12oz Dark Brown Sugar
    •350g/12oz Margarine
    •675g/1 1/2 lb Raisins
    •675g/1 1/2 lb Sultanas
    •125g/4oz Candied Peel
    •175g/6oz Cherries (chopped)
    •25g/1oz Apricots (chopped)
    •50g/2oz Walnuts (chopped)
    •50g/2oz Ground Almonds
    •50g/2oz Almonds (Chopped)
    •1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
    •1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
    •1/2 teaspoon Mixed Spice
    •Pinch of Salt
    •8 Eggs
    •Juice & Rind of one Lemon
    •Juice & Rind of one Orange
    •1 tbl Glycerine (optional)
    •1 Glass Dark Jamaican Rum

Method:

1.Line 10" round/or 9" square tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper and a layer of brown paper.

2.Put sultanas, raisins, candied peel, cherries, apricots, walnuts, almonds, rind of orange and rind of lemon in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the rum, juice of orange and lemon. Leave covered overnight.

3.Sieve the flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and mixed spice together.

4.Cream margarine and sugar together. Add the beaten eggs gradually with half the sieved flour mixture, giving a nice soft mixture.

5.Mix the remaining flour into the fruit mixture. Combine both mixtures together and stir well.

6.Finally, add the glycerine and mix until all ingredients are well blended.

7.Transfer to prepared tin and bake at 275°F, 140°C, Gas 1 in a central oven position for 5 hours approximately. After 4 hours, check at half hourly intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Hi Ive seen 2 recipes lately using stong flour as opposed to palin flour. Does anyone know why the Christmas cake uses strong flour??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lil_Stud

looks delicious i just ate cake yesterday and will never get tired of eating some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I wouldnt cut it, leave as is and feed with booze. In a couple of weeks cut into 1/2 or 1/4's and ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mmpasta

would it be very advisable to use a strong flour for the Christmas cake?
    i men, what would possibly happen to the cake if you use strong flour instead of palin cake?

electric pasta maker | electric pasta makers

I was using both - strong in one barch of cakes and ordinary in the other. There was no difference. i.e. nothing happened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Any tips for putting on the almond icing (i made my own, slightly worried it's a bit crumbly..)

Advertisement