Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nd welding filters

• 18-10-2009 6:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

anyone remember the link?

search downz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

No link but welding masks in LIDL on Thursday 22nd October for €7.99 should anyone be interested. Not sure is there any particular requirement on the masks themselves (i must pay more attention in class ;))

I think Ricky might have done something with this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

R to the APID

This was my best result so far with the welding glass. Cheap as chips filter!!
    3927234036_bb46da055c_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

You can get these in most good hardware shops,i see them every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    No link but welding masks in LIDL on Thursday 22nd October for €7.99 should anyone be interested. Not sure is there any particular requirement on the masks themselves (i must pay more attention in class ;))

I think Ricky might have done something with this.

I don't think there is safety glass included with these masks, seems pointless to sell mask without glass!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Chadwicks buiders supply them @ €1 or Kellys welding in Cookstown have them for €0.88

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I don't think there is safety glass included with these masks, seems pointless to sell mask without glass!!!

You're right - I didn't spot the no glass included text. That's amazing actually. I probably didn't look hard enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

as Longshanks says, cheap as chips filter...I took this at midday on a sunny day about 10 days ago - 120 seconds exposure

3989351045_51ee9fc8a4_o.jpg

granted you look a bit agricultural with your lump of green glass and concoction of rubber bands but who cares ?

Three filters off the ebay for 4.95 delivered - ACD, I still have one spare if you need it for your filterless mask :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I want a couple of those....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Noono

Tried this out two weeks after seeing the thread here. Bought the filter on ebay for a euro. If you get the right clouds i'd said the photos could be really good. Haven't had a chance to try it out again since i took this pic. But its a start.....

4022888077_d9a6c80d45.jpg

People spoke before about colour cast correction - what is involved with this / how severe does it tend to be (not very problematic if you get that welding mask in lidl i suspect :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    People spoke before about colour cast correction - what is involved with this / how severe does it tend to be (not very problematic if you get that welding mask in lidl i suspect :))

It\s pretty much just a matter of correcting the white balance, although it can leave a little bit of a 70s looking look to the photos e.g.

3985143354_60b4d07bc1_o.jpg

so I am tending to just to convert to B&W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Lads, on that eBay auction link it says that these are available in shade numbers "9, 10, 11 or clear"

I can guess what "clear" means but are shades 9, 10 and 11 the darkness of the glass, or the different tints available, anyone know?

stops

i think

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Those wedding glas "filters", are they actually glas or plastic?

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Those wedding glas "filters", are they actually glas or plastic?

glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Arciphel wrote: »
    Lads, on that eBay auction link it says that these are available in shade numbers "9, 10, 11 or clear"

I can guess what "clear" means but are shades 9, 10 and 11 the darkness of the glass, or the different tints available, anyone know?

It's the amount of stops and yup, their glass. I ordered two a while back and got one broken when it arrived, it's still to be replaced :(.

Some sweet shots from people on here with them!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Arciphel wrote: »

The clear glass goes in front of the darkened glass when you are fitting them to the mask, it protects the darkened glass from splatter and is an extra line of defense for your eyes if something should fly during the welding process

stops

i think

I don't think the numbers are in any way related to photographic stops, more info here

How are you guys mounting them in front of the lens?

• Advertisement

shade numbers algabraic letters are the same basis for determining the nd values i think... now who has a calculator...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

i've got 2 spare 10 stop welding filters, if anyone wants them let me know and I'll dig them out (no charge of course :))

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Both taken on a 9 - the 10 & 11 just look like you'd never see through them at all. No colour correction done to the raw file.

8A0418031021443A90B835A398E4D8FB-500.jpg6B9FFF3F47794A2FBACDEB8228FFCC50-500.jpg

nilhg wrote: »
    The clear glass goes in front of the darkened glass when you are fitting them to the mask, it protects the darkened glass from splatter and is an extra line of defense for your eyes if something should fly during the welding process

I don't think the numbers are in any way related to photographic stops, more info here

How are you guys mounting them in front of the lens?
    Like this
    photoqa.jpg

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    i've got 2 spare 10 stop welding filters, if anyone wants them let me know and I'll dig them out (no charge of course :))

yes please :D:D:D

Advertisement