Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone falls into water?!! getting contacts from it?

• 18-10-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey my phone fell into water and all my contacts and stuff are on the phone, plus different bits of info. Anyway of retreiving these contacts and info from the phone etc. The phone doesn't turn on or anything like that so just wonderin is there anyway of getting this phone fixed or as i said before gettin info from it?

Any help would be appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Assuming the phone doesn't turn on and there's no backup saved to the memory card or anything then there's nothing you can do really.

You can try leaving it in the hot press or whatever (some people suggest it) and see if it works in a few days and you might be able to get your contacts off it - wouldn't hold my breath though.

Have a look at your online call history if you're O2 / meteor / Vodafone (Vodafone are billpay only) and you might be able to piece some contacts together from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

your kind of screwed, how badly wet did it get, you might get lucky and it could be just the screen that's gone but I highly doubt it..

some people say put it in the hot press for a few days or put it in a bag of rice for a few hours but if there's no sign of life in the phone it's probably a write off...

with you next phone use a back up website like http://zyb.com/lang/en/ at least you'll have a back up of your numbers if anything goes wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Stick the phone in your hotpress and let it dry out. I've heard of ipods going through the wash only to be found hanging out the clothes and it sometimes works letting it dry out. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Depending on a lot of different things, the make of the phone, if it was fully submerged and for how long it was in water for the phone could just dry out and start working again. I dropped mine in the bath once and it was grand and I new a girl whos phone went through a cycle in the washing machine and wouldn't work she left it over the fireplace for a few days and it worked again. I've also heard that opening up the phone and putting a blow dryer on low heat to dry and dry it out has worked for some people but I've never tried it myself.

As for your contacts, were they saved to the phone or to the sim card. If they were saved to the sim then you will be able to just put it in another phone and they should be on there. If not and the phone doesn't work then your pretty much screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Put the sim into another phone, it may have some of the contacts stored on the sim rather than the phone memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Take the battery out asap after getting a phone wet. If the water was not fresh, I would dunk it in distilled water then stick it in an old sock and tie it to a couple metres of rope and whilrl it around outside as fast as possible for a few minutes. Then I would pop it in the oven on 50 deg C for a day or so then pop a new battery in it and hope.

Advertisement