Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have a nitro express in this country?

Options
  • 18-10-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone have a nitro express in this country? Not that it would be useful for anything anyway...? I just wanted to ask.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ged4lz_Fw2Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ged4lz_Fw2Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Hello,

Does anyone have a nitro express in this country?

I don't know of anyone with a .577 Tyrannosaur but I know several big game hunters in Ireland with Nitro Express rifles in usuable calibres.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Yea the gun on the youtube video turns out to be T-rex.

I was just wondering if during the booming time if anyone decided to blow $20k and $100 per cartridge on one of those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

there was a good few with them when the economy was booming , trips to africa and all that , i have seen a .470 n.e. , bullets like your thumb massive . 10 euro a shot !

oh, $10 a shot...? Is that all? I thought it would be a lot more expensive...

Does it hurt when you shoot it?

oh, $10 a shot...? Is that all? I thought it would be a lot more expensive...

Does it hurt when you shoot it?

i don't know to be honest , i don't think its as bad as all that , its more of a big push rather than a snappy kick of a larger calibre deer rifle ,270 or 30-06 etc . and €10 a shot not dear ? well a hundred rounds of a morning is going to empty your wallet pretty quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

10 euro a shot while pricey isnt all that bad. Considering that your only ever really going to zero in and fire a handfull of shots. Unless your a brutal shot and/or want to rid the african continent of wild elephants. 50 BMG.... Ive heard of that selling at £18 sterling a round..... Try 10 buying rounds and adding VAT + delivery !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Priced up .375H&H stuff before, it was coming in at about five to eight euro a pop. It's on the shopping list, but quite a ways down it. The thing is, you'd fire maybe twenty to fifty rounds a year, tops. You'll get your practice in, but it's not going to be a fun gun for the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A fair few of the Nitro Express big planes game rifles would be side by side doubles and quite often don't have a scope so don't need to be sighted in. I suppose one would fire a couple of shots at a target to find out how impact and POI correspond and that'll be it. And the other side of story is when you can afford the money for an African big game trip are you going to be worried about the few quid for the ammo ?

Well I heard that a recoil from one of those are about same as catching one of those 12lbf rifles on the shoulder dropped from 16ft high. Typically for the one with .700 cal.

Then...the question is how may of those can you take in a day before your shoulder dislocates....???:eek:

So I thought maybe $10 is cheap considering you only need to shoot a handful...

A fair few of the Nitro Express big planes game rifles would be side by side doubles and quite often don't have a scope so don't need to be sighted in. I suppose one would fire a couple of shots at a target to find out how impact and POI correspond and that'll be it. And the other side of story is when you can afford the money for an African big game trip are you going to be worried about the few quid for the ammo ?

you are perfectly right. Who cares about couple of hundred on a trip that would cost €20k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not much point sighting in one of those rifles here, considering the temperature difference between here and Africa is probably 25ºc + the POI would be very different I would imagine.

With the shimmer under blazing sun it is only good for short range emergency shot I believe. Just point and bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You also have to keep in mind that the Nitro Express calibers - essentially a product of the traditional English gunsmithing industry - date back from the times when colonial empires were at the height of their power. And unless I'm seriously mistaken scopes that could withstand the recoil of such shoulder artillery weren't exactly abundant in the field in the late 19th century.

I don't know how most would be constructed but I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone told me a traditional Nitro Express double is built for the POI of both barrels to be the same at around 80 to 100 yards. With the high power modern ammo available these days I think there's better choices of calibers and ammo available for all but the biggest planes game.

On top of that most of the African big game was probably shot with muzzle loaders bearing a striking resemblance to a cannon with a stock but with less down the line energy as let's say a current .300 WinMag before the Nitro Express calibers did even exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

You also have to keep in mind that the Nitro Express calibers - essentially a product of the traditional English gunsmithing industry - date back from the times when colonial empires were at the height of their power. And unless I'm seriously mistaken scopes that could withstand the recoil of such shoulder artillery weren't exactly abundant in the field in the late 19th century.

I don't know how most would be constructed but I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone told me a traditional Nitro Express double is built for the POI of both barrels to be the same at around 80 to 100 yards. With the high power modern ammo available these days I think there's better choices of calibers and ammo available for all but the biggest planes game.

On top of that most of the African big game was probably shot with muzzle loaders bearing a striking resemblance to a cannon with a stock but with less down the line energy as let's say a current .300 WinMag before the Nitro Express calibers did even exist.

Does not detract from your other points, but most big game was shot in the second half of the 1800's by shooters with 4g breech-loaders. Reading old diaries and books of that time I always am struck by the casual way in which unsuitable shots were taken and wounded animals were rarely followed up.
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

The 375 H&H is your only man really.

Its got plenty of energy to take down the big five provided the shot is resonably well placed and the recoil is not nearly as nasty as any of the four hundreds.

Its being doing the job very well since 1912 which should tell you something.

Hezz700 wrote: »
    The 375 H&H is your only man really.

Its got plenty of energy to take down the big five provided the shot is resonably well placed and the recoil is not nearly as nasty as any of the four hundreds.

Its being doing the job very well since 1912 which should tell you something.

To say nothing of the host of things it's spawned since. One of these is definitely somewhere in my future in .375 H&H Mag.
    aa843ff954.jpg

Link

To say nothing of the host of things it's spawned since. One of these is definitely somewhere in my future in .375 H&H Mag.
    aa843ff954.jpg

Link

I like your style

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I like your style

I may also be tempted out by this. I'd get to pretend I was king of Romania for a while. But while a bargain at £42,000, I'll probably take the Mauser for ten percent of that.

0a95d426f8.jpg
    95ca0f7d52.jpg
    b884bb3bee.jpg

Phff...............second hand bargain basement stuff!

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well Nitro Express is still being used and in ever larger calibres too. You may have seen this before, but it's still very impressive.

1000 grain 700 Nitro Express at 11,276 Joules :eek:

Some absolute beauties here: http://www.ferlachguns.com/

sa16.jpg

• Advertisement

thats a wussies gun rrpc have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

416 Rigby,or 460 Weatherby.Enough to do the job on anything.
    Unless of course somone knows a lost island somwhere where dinosaurs still roam free???:D:D:D:D
    Lovley guns those..But would you feel happy them getting wet,or having to drag them thru a few briar patches??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement