Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LCD or Plasma

• 18-10-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hey guys looking for some help... planning on gettin som HE for christmas and I'm wondering LCD or Plasma??? Love watching dvds... some sport and prob will play some ps3 on it aswell.... was looking in currys/pc world and am slightly confused as some screens looked alot more pixely than others.... budget of about 800 for the tv well aware that it wont but the new state of the art LED tvs but like I said anyone have any tips... or good advice??

cheers....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Plasma TV's have a faster response time than LCDs, so for fast motion like games and sports they wont have problems with lag. They also offer better image quality than LCD and are often cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kpas

cnocbui wrote: »
    Plasma TV's have a faster response time than LCDs, so for fast motion like games and sports they wont have problems with lag. They also offer better image quality than LCD and are often cheaper.

so I assume your recommending the plasma so???

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SpudGunr

Hi
    Asked the same kinda question the other day myself and was given this link to where it was thrashed out in a previous thread, its pretty informative and helped me to make my decision which was to go with a plasma. Check it out, it just might help you too .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709339

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I prefer plasma because motion blur really annoys me, but some people don't mind it so much. If you have a bright room, LCD is generally better as it is less reflective. If you want wider viewing angles, better blacks and a more "crt" look, plasma is better. So-called LED tv's are not real LED tv's yet - they are LCD tv's with LED backlight.

Probably better to decide on your budget and buy the best TV you can afford. The best site I found when buying mine is www.hdtvtest.co.uk
    AVForums is good too.

If TV is 46" or less, don't worry about 1080p v. 720p - you won't see the difference and SD picture quality may be even better on the 720p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

kpas wrote: »
    so I assume your recommending the plasma so???

Absolutely. That is what I bought and couldn't be happier. XBox 360 -> 50" Panny HD plasma is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Pwezem

You guys hear about these Samsung LED Tv's?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kpas

ya the samsung leds..... I'd be a bit shifty at the mo on these as it's only new technology at fairly steep prices, thats why I'm looking at the lcd/plasmas cause the prices are dropping nicely now!!!:D:D

They do look fab though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll stamp my feet firmly in the plasma camp. Much 'warmer' picture. I find LCD a bit harsh and nasty.

I've a 26" LCD (Samsung), a 32" LCD (Sharp) and a 50" Plasma (Pioneer). All have similar resolution. The picture on the plasma is miles ahead of the LCDs and the plasma is 8 years old with 11,600 hours on it. The LCDs are much younger but the picture looks harsh and cold - especially from a HD source.

The only problem with the plasma is that it's in a well lit (daytime) room so the curtains need to be drawn during the day as reflection from the glass is annoying. This doesn't happen with LCD.

However, you'll be the one watching it so your opinion is most important. Ultimately, you will have to decide what best suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Just to clear thing up regarding "LED" TVs, they are still LCD tvs, same tech just with a different method of backlighting. Great marketing by Samsung, they have really fooled lots of people.

Advertisement