Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting unethical practitioner

Options
  • 18-10-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, this is my first post so go easy! I'm not sure if I'm in the right category for this.

I have had an experience with a very unethical alternative "health" practitioner, who goes under the guise of an acupuncturist. I have been searching online for a watchdog or some person/governing body I can report this practitioner to, but to no avail. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a watchdog or some governing body who deals with unethical practice? Or does anybody know where I could take this, or would it turn into a personal court case? I would rather not have to deal with this person face-to-face.
    Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

What are you alleging against this person and I or others can give you a direction on where to start.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

OP - Be warned, mention the person or place in an identifiable fashion and it will be edited in line with the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Doctors/Nurses - yes there are statutory bodies who can take action in respect of their fitness to practice arising from complaints.

Acupuncturists...eh...not so much I believe.

If you consider that something may have happened which was in breach of the criminal law, you should of course report it to gardai.

If you consider you have lost money in a way which you believe to be questionable, talk to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

You could check to see if the person concerned is registered with the AFPA.

The AFPA (Acupuncture Foundation Professional Association) is the longest established and largest regulatory body for the practice of acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Ireland. We have been representing acupuncturists since 1987.

All our members comply with our codes of ethics and best practice and all members carry full insurance. All members adhere to the guidelines the Department of Health and Children report of 2006 has recommended in the practice of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine.

Contact details: 8 Eaton House Main Street, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin email: info@afpa.ie Tel: 01 412 4917 or 0876556362 This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

There is an A-Z search facility on the site where you can check to see if a person is registered with them. Even if the person isn't registered with them they could possibly help or advise you with your query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Groog

There was nothing criminal, nothing punishable by law. Just unethical behaviour. I would prefer not to mention too many details, as I don't want to give make the practitioner or the client who was involved identifiable.
    Thanks for the info, I will check the AFPA and see if they are registered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement