Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of unwanted firearms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Folks, I think what Grizzly is trying to say is that those German fellows just buy the whole lot and sift through it in their own time.
    We do know that. However there isn't a 'whole lot', just a bunch of dealers (or other storage systems in Garda hands) all over the country with stuff hanging around for ages. That all has to be gathered up into one place, the dealer's paperwork all amended to show the disposal and that witnessed by the Gardai.

That's where the work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What's the big deal if the company buying up the stuff is properly licenced to do exactly that ? Instead of issuing proof of destruction they issue proof of removal docs and done and dusted.

What's going to happen to all the stuff that's not going to be renewed now ? Especially center fire pistols and revolvers, a lot of them will be as good as new and very well looked after and easily worth a couple of hundred a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Look,it pretty much works like this.
    German company[es] advertises on net.We buy all types of guns from everywhere,private,collections,museuem,police arsenals and old evidence bits,outdated military stuff etc. Intrested parties contact them at.... Send them a list of what is available and they respond in what they would be intrested in or if it is a whole job lot to go,what they would offer.They do the entire paperwork with the revelant authorthies for exporting and importing to Germany,including arranging the shipping. You have to do nothing..Except state that you owned the gun and were liscensed and you have sold it to them to export.They sell the gun and take a comission on the sale,or if it is a job lot agree a price with the revelant authorithy.

No major big deal or hassle,99.9% of this is paperwork sorted out by phone,fax,and emails,between them and the revelant authorithy in whatever country.When all is said and done and allt the mystique is stripped away it is a international transaction of a bunch of items.

Sure they will buy your unliscensable centre fire here off you,and even store it too,if you dont want to sell it either,at a more reasonable price than some dealers here.BUT DO NOT expect to get the stupid money some people paid for their guns here in the Celtic tiger in the European market. EG No one will pay over a grand for a Glock17[unless you are a criminal on the black market] in Europe,when they are brand new at 500 euros.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Arva, Co Cavan! But the lake is about 100 acres......................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

sorry off topic but am look for a cheep second-hand 12g please see add

David

mods sorry off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Mr Burns wrote: »
    I current has a .22 LR SA which is in poor condition and I have no intention of relicencing it. I have contacted a number of RFDs and asked about getting rid of it and they don't want to know. They tell me to ask the Gardai. The Gardai don't want to know either telling me to go back to a RFD. So I has reached a stalemate situation.

I don't want to relicence something that is worthless and not working correctly. Also if I dispose of it, it leaves me in a better position with storage of my other firearms.

Any suggestions or advice?

I WAS IN THE SAME POSITION AS YOU, i had 1 shotgun too many i wanted to destruct with angle grinder. but i was able to hand it into local station for destruction done and dusted paper work done on the spot.

Advertisement