Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evicted with no notice, but landlord withholding deposit

Options
  • 18-10-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have been renting a room under the rent a room scheme for the past 3 months. I signed an agreement on moving in that 2 months notice be provided by either the tenant or landlord for eviction or leaving. The other night, my landlord had friends over, they were drinking and being very noisy. Provoked by a polite request on my part to keep the noise down my landlord verbally abused me, became very aggressive and threatening. So threatening I had no choice but to lock myself in my room. He told me he wanted me out of my house the next day, and I agreed to leave if he left me my full deposit and the two weeks rent I had already paid for. I subsequently moved out, and he is refusing to give me my deposit citing I should have given him one months notice even though he kicked me out. I am going to contact threshold on monday, and am fully expecting to have to go through small claims court. I reported his behaviour to the gardaí. I would just like some suggestions and advice on what way to proceed. And whether I should engage the services of a solicitor. I am also concerned as to the fact that is his word against mine that I was evicted as opposed to me leaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

shu, sorry to hear that, stressful.

Don't overlook the PRTB.

http://www.prtb.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

According to citizens information rent a room scheme tenants arent covered by the PRTB :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As a rent a room tenant (licensee) you have flip all rights but similarly the landlord has no right to hold your deposit. The contract you signed isn't worth the paper it's written on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pay the EUR15 and take him to the small claims court.......
    Advise him in advance of what you're doing- and the implications of having a judement registered against him- perhaps the ignorant pratt might pay up and do everyone a favour........

Advertisement