Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interested in a small upgrade, need some help.

Options
  • 18-10-2009 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi guys, ive got a small budget for an upgrade.
    my current comp specs are:

qx6700 @ 3.0ghz (about 20oC)
    8gb ocz reaper ddr2
    msi p35
    gpu is a 8800gt 512 alpha dog edition.

im buying some 2 samsung f2 1.5tb drives from hardwareversand in a few days, and think i might get a few more bits.
    i dont do anything heavy that needs extreme components anymore, apart from waiting for starcraft 2.
    so what do you guys reccommend?

ive got a second 8800gt 512 gpu i could sli.
    i run my pc on a 32" hd tv at 1280 x 768 resoloution.

so should i change my mobo and sli my cards, or change my gpu and mobo to something newer?
    i dont wanna spend a fortune, but ive got about 300 euro to play with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Is the 300€ before or after the 2 HDD?

If it is after, I very much recommend getting a new Mobo and a ATI5x50 Card

5750 or 5850, though from what you say the 5750 might do you better.

Add to that any mobo and you are sorted methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

hi guys, ive got a small budget for an upgrade.
    my current comp specs are:

qx6700 @ 3.0ghz (about 20oC)
    8gb ocz reaper ddr2
    msi p35
    gpu is a 8800gt 512 alpha dog edition.

im buying some 2 samsung f2 1.5tb drives from hardwareversand in a few days, and think i might get a few more bits.
    i dont do anything heavy that needs extreme components anymore, apart from waiting for starcraft 2.
    so what do you guys reccommend?

ive got a second 8800gt 512 gpu i could sli.
    i run my pc on a 32" hd tv at 1280 x 768 resoloution.

so should i change my mobo and sli my cards, or change my gpu and mobo to something newer?
    i dont wanna spend a fortune, but ive got about 300 euro to play with.

Get a new gfx card.

That's it. no point getting a new mobo unless you really want SLI/crossfire.
    (seriously save the money for when you change platform in the next year or two....)

Get at least a 4870 512mb: this can be gotten for around €120 or so.... and would be plenty of poke for 1280 x 768 and are a steal at the price you can get them at the moment.

Skip the 5770 and 5750 as they are only around the same speed if not slower in some cases than the 4870s unless you really need the eyefinity and DX11 support.

Other than that: you have a quad, 8 gig of ram, that is more than enough to game well on the Tv you have @ 1280 x 768. Hell you could stick with the 8800Gt 512mb for another few months playing at that res and wait for the prices to fall when Nvidia launch their stuff and ATI drop their prices to counter attack.

What games are you playing that the 8800GT struggles with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

uberpixie wrote: »
    @ 1280 x 768. Hell you could stick with the 8800Gt 512mb for another few months playing at that res and wait for the prices to fall when Nvidia launch their stuff and ATI drop their prices to counter attack.

+1 on that.

Your QX6600 could be clocked way higher with a newer mobo. But if as you said are not doing anything power demanding then leave it as it is.

At that res, your pc will be fine for a good while to come... (well depends what you're playing) If you are having trouble the the 4870 512mb's for 120 euro or a 4890 for 150 are the best gpu upgrades. Again at that resolution they would fly for a good few years! They would be a big step up from the 8800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

batman arkham asylum seems to tax my gpu to the max, along with prototype.

however, i dont play them enough to be really bothered about it lol.
    i guess ill wait for when i decide to completly build a new system and put the money towards something more important like christmas.

thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

better off really.
    Splashing out on high end video cards playing at the resolution is a complete waste of money.
    You could flog both the 8800GTs and use the money to buy a 4870.. won't cost you anything extra really.

• Advertisement

i guess ill wait for when i decide to completly build a new system

You could happily game on that system for a good few years to come, next upgrade a new gpu!

Make sure when asking which gpu to get you post your psu in the thread too.

Effluo wrote: »
    You could happily game on that system for a good few years to come, next upgrade a new gpu!

Make sure when asking which gpu to get you post your psu in the thread too.

dont worry im a very regular person around here. i know what demands are made when posting :p

ive got a modular 800w psu.

batman arkham asylum seems to tax my gpu to the max, along with prototype.

however, i dont play them enough to be really bothered about it lol.
    i guess ill wait for when i decide to completly build a new system and put the money towards something more important like christmas.

thanks guys.

I am playing arkham asylum on a Q6600 @ 3 ghz, 4gig of pc6400 ram @ stock and a 4870 512mb @ 1650 x 1080 all on a p35 asus mobo and it runs @ full settings with x4AA forced (obviously without any physx and the AA is forced because Nvidia are cnuts and ensured the hobbling ATI gfx card settings as this is a TWIMTBP game ......)

Game runs sweet.

I cannot stress enough than a change in gfx card will make a very big difference to your gaming.

Going iCore5/7 is not worth it just yet: the slim performance gains would see under games wouldn't be worth the huge cost. (multimedia is a totally different story....)

Save your money, invest in a good cheap gfx card for around €100 euro *cough* 4870 *cough*.

Yeah with your psu there are no boundaries to what graphics card you could get!
    Uber-pixie is prob running a higher res screen than you too... So a 4870 for the op would be win for at least another year. It would probably see out your pc!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you're sure you're going to stick with the current telly and don't go the "1080p nonsense route" (:P) then stick to the 8800GT until the HD5770 becomes realistic, then grab one and take advantage of the added futureproofing of DX11. Hell, even a HD5750 would work well at 720p, just don't go for them until prices drop to a more realistic level.

• Advertisement

well if i upgrade my gpu i can connect it through a hdmi cable.
    would this allow for a better resoloution?

i mainly use it for watching bluray / 1080p movies i buy. along with occasional gaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I'm playing Batman at the mo on a E6600 @ stock 2.4ghz with a 4890 and 2gb 800 hrz ram

having no physx is a bit of a shame but the game runs like a dream on max @ 1080p

ingame benchmark reports 28-min, 50-avg fps.

my brother runs it on a 8800GT with mid physx. runs just fine @ 1600 x 1200.

No unfortunately not, the maximum resolution is rarely anything to do with the gpu(only on old or cheap integrated). Using a hdmi cable might improve the visuals a bit more but not by a heck of a lot...
    i mainly use it for watching bluray / 1080p movies i buy

With your tv and it's non full-hd resolution you are actually missing out on the quality of your blu-rays. Yes they'll look better than dvd's(i fink)(which i suppose you've noticed) But because your tv is not 1080 resolution then the blu-rays will not be as good as they could be.

The only solution is a new tv but, if i were you i wouldn't bother!

The only advantage of using a hdmi over a DVI is if you were using the speakers in the telly as you would get both sound and video over the hdmi and cut down on a cable running from your sound card to the telly.

Effluo wrote: »
    No unfortunately not, the maximum resolution is rarely anything to do with the gpu(only on old or cheap integrated). Using a hdmi cable might improve the visuals a bit more but not by a heck of a lot...

With your tv and it's non full-hd resolution you are actually missing out on the quality of your blu-rays. Yes they'll look better than dvd's(i fink)(which i suppose you've noticed) But because your tv is not 1080 resolution then the blu-rays will not be as good as they could be.

The only solution is a new tv but, if i were you i wouldn't bother!
    uberpixie wrote: »
    The only advantage of using a hdmi over a DVI is if you were using the speakers in the telly as you would get both sound and video over the hdmi and cut down on a cable running from your sound card to the telly.

im not sure i follow 100%, when im on my xbox360, its full 1080.
    would it not be the same connecting the pc through hdmi?

i dont use the tv sound, i use a logitech z5500 sorround.

If your screen resolution was 1080 then Your xbox 360 games would all be upscaled to 1080, In other words they would kinda "expand" the pixels... Afaik The xbox doesn't play any games in full hd.

What you need to do is find out the max resolution of your screen! I thought you said it was 768p, but you don't seem so sure now. Or at least you have me confused!

A vga cable can support very high resolutions. And the fact that you're using that would not effect the resolution you're screen is using.

You could just do a really simple thing. When your pc is plugged into your tv go to the screen settings. (appearance/monitor depending on operating system) Put the resolution on the max settings it will go. This way you will find the resolution of your screen!

ah i understand now. i was hoping the screen resolution would be different from using a vga cable, to using a hdmi cable.

my max resolution from my pc to tv is 1280 x 768.
    i guess im stuck with that then :p

Advertisement