Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-sugary enegy drinks

Options
  • 18-10-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for non-sugary enegy drinks. I need a boost midway (noon) during the day, and again around the 1600 mark. At the moment, I'm Redbull, or whatever energy drink Tesco is selling cheaply.

BUT, I'm looking for something that can give me an enegy kick that has little o no sugar.

Any idea's? Tea (Barrys Classic blend) will keep me awake at night, but during the day, it doesn't work as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Red Bull have a sugar free version, it's in a light-blue can. Lidl do a sugar-free version of their redbull-knockoff energy drink, think it's about 49c a can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Red Bull have a sugar free version, it's in a light-blue can. Lidl do a sugar-free version of their redbull-knockoff energy drink, think it's about 49c a can :)
    Gonna ask the dentist tomorrow about these "sugar free" drinks. Often they're "sugar free", but contain other sugary stuff (such as glucose).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the_syco wrote: »
    Gonna ask the dentist tomorrow about these "sugar free" drinks. Often they're "sugar free", but contain other sugary stuff (such as glucose).

not really. Glucose is sugar. Sugar free stuff shouldn't have sugar in it.
    They may have sweetner, like in diet coke etc. Which in't a sugar.

By the way, most of the energy in thee drinks comes from the sugar. Remove the sugar and you remove the energy.
    There is the energy from caffeine/taurine etc, but i'm not sure what to make of them, and if its even usable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Drinking a lot of artificially-sweetened drinks isn't necessarily good for you, for example in the US they're looking into the long-term effects of aspartame. Also, people who watch their caffeine intake should be aware that diet Coke contains more caffeine than regular Coke http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

OP, have you thought of having a high-energy snack in the afternoon? That might be better for you. You could have an apple, a banana, some nuts or seeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Aspartame is worse for you than sugar,.

If you are needing energy boosts during the day you need to look closely at your diet. The longest period that you normally go without food is while you are sleeping at night yet many people make the mistake of skipping breakfast. Breakfast should actually be the largest meal of the day. A good breakfast will ensure that you have enough energy throughout the day and will eliminate the need for snacking.

• Advertisement

Gyalist wrote: »
    If you are needing energy boosts during the day you need to look closely at your diet. The longest period that you normally go without food is while you are sleeping at night yet many people make the mistake of skipping breakfast. Breakfast should actually be the largest meal of the day. A good breakfast will ensure that you have enough energy throughout the day and will eliminate the need for snacking.
    Usually a half bowl of Sultana Bran in the morning. 12 o'clock sleepiness hits me like a sugar crash (even if I had nothing eaten that day). Once I grab something to eat at 13:00, I'm usually okay until 20.00-21.00 when I hit another "sugar crash" type sleepiness. In both cases, I'd be relaxed, sitting down. If driving, the crash doesn't happen. Could be the posture in the chair, not sure.

Was drinking the sugar-free stuff at the LAN. Seems a better drink, without the sugar crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Lucozade Alert contains c. 10g of sugar per 250ml bottle, and only has 42 calories. It tastes nice too - none of that cough-syrupy Red Bull taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gyalist wrote: »
    Aspartame is worse for you than sugar,.
    Thats debatable, some people would be drinking 4-6L of coke per day. I know a guy who was downing 3L of lucozade a day, got diabetes in his mid 20's.

Also not all drinks use aspartame. Tesco premium diet cola (and I think M&S) use sucralose.
    Gonna ask the dentist tomorrow
    It is the acids that probably cause more problems, coke is full of phosphoric acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Perhaps OP you are just addicted to the caffeine in Red Bull and need to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. Break the cycle and maybe you wont get any more slumps ;).

Or else go for a quick walk around the office. Or an apple is always good for waking you up when feeling sleepy

enda1 wrote: »
    Perhaps OP you are just addicted to the caffeine in Red Bull and need to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. Break the cycle and maybe you wont get any more slumps ;).
    I'll be out of a job if I did that :(
    enda1 wrote: »
    Or else go for a quick walk around the office. Or an apple is always good for waking you up when feeling sleepy
    Will take the apple idea on board. There's a gizmo in Ikea which chops the apple up, and leaves the core, all at the same time.

=-=

Have started drinking the sugar-free stuff. Not such an intense rush, but it works nicely. Have also cut down the amount of suger with the tea, sweets, etc, so will see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crossman

I swear by sugar free red bull..
    Also the white Rocktar is sugar free and pretty good as well!

Advertisement