Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Away Form

Options
  • 18-10-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Harry seems to have cracked this nut. 3 wins on the road already. We have been rubbish away from home for years and years. I said before the season started that if we could sort out our dismal away record we would have a decent chance of CL qualification.

So far so good - Harry had worked wonders and totally rejuvinated the club in 12 months.

Onwards and upwards

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Harry seems to have cracked this nut. 3 wins on the road already. We have been rubbish away from home for years and years. I said before the season started that if we could sort out our dismal away record we would have a decent chance of CL qualification.

So far so good - Harry had worked wonders and totally rejuvinated the club in 12 months.

Onwards and upwards

COYS

agreed:D

not only getting the results but some decent peformances too

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

couldnt agree more Shane. We've had a bad run with injuries already and have kept the points coming so hopefully we'll get a nice run now without any more. I think the lack of European football this year is making a diff, we seem much more focused. Understand it was good for giving some of the squad players a run but the carling cup can do that and think it took away from the primary focus of pushing for a top 4. Could never see point in being in Europe and playing 2nd choice players either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Mullo76 wrote: »
    I think the lack of European football this year is making a diff, we seem much more focused .

totally agree Mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Onwards and upwards

COYS

Agree with all you have said, but I still think we need to strengthen strongly in 2 or 3 areas if we are to really compete for top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

keane=cock wrote: »

not only getting the results but some decent peformances too

Easy now, we were a shambles against bolton defensively and the 2nd half against pompey was dire, if they had a decent striker they would have hammered us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

We're improving...I wouldn't say we're there yet. Nice to see us fighting back against Bolton twice...especially when we don't usually get anything from there. Alright pompey could've scored a few and it was real backs to the wall stuff but it's not often that we can say we've come away with 3 points after a performance like that so it's nice to see the improvement happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Mullo76 wrote: »
    I think the lack of European football this year is making a diff, we seem much more focused.

+2

In years gone by we were always better than teams the like of Hull, Pompey etc. but I think, as Mark said, we lacked focus.

Also I think, a degree of, bottling it against physical teams who play every game with the heart and not skill.

Let's hope it continue's.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

We have the most away points in the PL

10 points from five games, with Man Utd are on nine from four games.

This could be a big difference this year, if we can keep up the home form as well.

Last year we only won four games and drew four away from home, and we're close to eclipsing that already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think every one has to admit that spurs are a top team this year. people go around saying that pomey should have beaten us, bolton should have etc

thats rubbish. we picked up the points away from home, the home team is always going to have more possession. look at united v bolton at old trafford .bolton nearly got a draw in the finish, are people saying united are no good now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Easy now, we were a shambles against bolton defensively and the 2nd half against pompey was dire, if they had a decent striker they would have hammered us.
    And that was Pompy and Bolton - I think people may have forgotten our main rivals for fourth (as we are not going to be challenging for the title) are, Everton, Villa, Arsenal, Man City, and maybe Sunderland, Fulham - as thus far home or away we have not played ANY of these teams ONCE......so lets all just calm down and wait until we have some real opposition for that last CL spot - Yes we have had real opposition in the form of Man U, Chelsea and Pool this year - Won 1, lost 2!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

John W wrote: »
    And that was Pompy and Bolton - I think people may have forgotten our main rivals for fourth (as we are not going to be challenging for the title) are, Everton, Villa, Arsenal, Man City, and maybe Sunderland, Fulham - as thus far home or away we have not played ANY of these teams ONCE......so lets all just calm down and wait until we have some real opposition for that last CL spot - Yes we have had real opposition in the form of Man U, Chelsea and Pool this year - Won 1, lost 2!;)

Fair points, but looking at the positives, last season we were losing games away to the likes of Bolton and Pompey.:rolleyes:

As for Everton, Villa, Sunderland and Fulham, I personally don't see them as the major threat. As regards a top four place, I think it will be between us, Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool. :confused:

My head says we will probably finish 5th or 6th, my heart says with a bit of luck we might just nick 4th spot on the last day of the season away to Burnley. :D

But we've a long long way to go. Should probably have this discussion again come March 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

mickman wrote: »
    i think every one has to admit that spurs are a top team this year. people go around saying that pomey should have beaten us, bolton should have etc

thats rubbish. we picked up the points away from home, the home team is always going to have more possession. look at united v bolton at old trafford .bolton nearly got a draw in the finish, are people saying united are no good now?

its not rubbish, utd had a dodgy last 20 mins after having an amount of chances to finish bolton off, we looked like conceding evrytime both bolton and pompey attacked! They were good results but very poor performances, continue with the same level of performance and we might not be so lucky next time.

Advertisement