Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growling pipes

• 18-10-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

came back from holidays - one of the toilets is causing a growl from the pipes. They're all enclosed which makes access awkward. Is this air in the pipe? What can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Water hammer! Does it only happen when the toilet is flushed? I'd say Joey will be in here in a few mins. He would be better suited to tell you. But I reckon its the ballcock needs changing to a brass one....High pressure orifice? You'd think I knew what I was talking about.

Will leave it to experts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

mad m wrote: »
    Water hammer! Does it only happen when the toilet is flushed? I'd say Joey will be in here in a few mins. He would be better suited to tell you. But I reckon its the ballcock needs changing to a brass one....High pressure orifice? You'd think I knew what I was talking about.

Will leave it to experts!

Thank you for the moment of fame. Its noted but there is far more better around here.. ;)

Back to the pipes. Do you have any idea what pipes it is. Sometimes when people are away on hoildays the waste pipes dry out. There is a specific name for it but I cant think of it. If your getting a bad smell in your house it might be this. Run all the taps to fill the traps this will sort this.

If its in the inlet pipe chances are it could be hammering. Can you tell me any more. Does it happen at specific times etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it only happens in the instant the toilet is flushed - and doesn't even last 5 seconds. But it's loud.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Water hammer due to mains pressure. Change the old ball valve for the new type available from all plumbers suppliers for about €15. Simple job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Main thing I read in the original post was "holiday". I'd try holding the ball down for a few minutes (flush as necessary) to see if that gets rid of any air that has got stuck in a high point. Perhaps open up the sink and bath cold taps fully for a bit to see if that helps get rid of the air but does depend on how the house is plumbed.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    it only happens in the instant the toilet is flushed - and doesn't even last 5 seconds. But it's loud.

thanks

Flush the toilet again but this time flush it with the lid off the toilet cistern. Whilst the lid is off hold the ball valve up. If the noise is still happening its not water hammering. If it has not happened before the cistern empties with the ball valve up then let the ball valve go. If it happens if most likely water hammer. With all your taps off flush the toilet 5 times in a row if the noise is still happening you will need to change you ball valve as suggested. Make sure the ball valve you buy is low pressure. A torbeck is a good make. If you phone MT Agencies in finglas they will tell you the nearest agent.

Hope all makes sense. If not just ask. you might have sorted it already....

thanks for all the replies so far.

Some context. It's an apartment, with negative head pump.

I have tried running the water in the cistern for 5 minutes or so, which didn't resolve the issue (although I thought I saw air being flushed into the cistern after a few minutes)

From my search for this thread, I see a number of people have enquired about water hammer - more over a solution!

I'm pretty sure the apartment overhead are experiencing the same issue. Only one of the toilets is causing it, and running a tap at the same time stops it.

What can I do to resolve it?

From my search for this thread, I see a number of people have enquired about water hammer - more over a solution!

I'm pretty sure the apartment overhead are experiencing the same issue. Only one of the toilets is causing it, and running a tap at the same time stops it.

If your sure its the toilet you can buy an aquasave or equiv ball valve and fit it. usually hammer happens because the pressure is strong so leave in the high pressure bung its usually a pasta shape pce of plastic. If your fitting it yourself ask the plumbers providers to explain where it goes in the fitting if your usuing a plumber s/he will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Which tap do you turn on to stop the sound, basin or kitchen?

• Advertisement

items wrote: »
    Which tap do you turn on to stop the sound, basin or kitchen?

the cold tap in the sink beside the toilet, or the same tap in the other bathroom, upstream of the toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I'm pretty sure the apartment overhead are experiencing the same issue.
    you say apartment , is your plumbing run off a pump.

did you try changing your ballvalve in the cistern.

sullzz wrote: »
    you say apartment , is your plumbing run off a pump.

did you try changing your ballvalve in the cistern.

it's run off a negative head pump. I haven't made any amendments to anything yet!

I should say - judging from the noises I'm hearing, we're not the only apartment that this is happening to. We're in the place 3 years, and it's only started in the last 3/4 months

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

We are having the same issue but it only happens when the pump kicks in when people are running a tap or a shower in the house.. could it be caused by the same thing?

This has been an ongoing issue on and off for over 2 years now and the landlord/letting agent dont want to know.. so keen to get it resolved :mad:

Advertisement