Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limiting download/upload speed

• 18-10-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello,

Im having problem with my new house mate. Guy is using p2p and downloading tons of stuff. Ive already spoke with him, cause its really impossible to talk by skype or yahoo when he is downloading not to menchion that sites are loading very slow. Ive already explayned to him how to limit upload speed not to jam broad band. But he doesnt seam to care. I can switch off wireless for time when I need to do my skype talking but thats not solution.
    Its 3mbit adsl from eircom. We are using Netopia router Model 3347NWG.
    If any of You lads have any experience how to limit wireless uploading/downloading speed, or better how to limit speed by IP or Mac address would be great. Im IT guy but Im not much in networking, more in hardware overclocking ect and graphic designing.

Thanx a lot!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Honestly I would just clamp his access altogether. Its not his. Filter out his MAC address. Tell him to get his own damn connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gerpir Feilan

Thanx Snowbat! Maybe that will at least set priority on my IP. I will find out probably in next hour ;)

Forgot to say that my pc is connected by cable, he's using wireless.
    Just spoke with him and he said that he was only streaming movies 2day :mad:
    Dont have any ideas what else I could do if Snowbat's idea wont work.

Overheal, Im kinda of relaxed easy going guy so dont really want any fighting around the house ;). Can always get NTL 20mega for myself but Im not convinced about quality of broadband. Im playing online so good ping is very iportant for me. Anyone of you lads have any experience in online gaming through NTL ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

You have a number of options.

Who owns the broadband? who pays for it?
    If it's you tell him to suck it he can't use it any more just disconnect him and the wireless or change the pass code on him and tell him the wireless won't work any more.

Install quality of service (QoS) which comes with some broadband routers in advanced options (at least it does in mine and i have the eircom router)

Each get separate broadband. The stick access gives you good speed and bandwidth.

if he pays for it fully then it's just tough luck there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Thanx Snowbat! Maybe that will at least set priority on my IP. I will find out probably in next hour ;)

Set his IP and Mac address to have a limited amount of bandwidth on all protocols. Give him 10% or so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gerpir Feilan

wolfric wrote: »
    You have a number of options.

... Install quality of service (QoS) which comes with some broadband routers in advanced options (at least it does in mine and i have the eircom router) ...

Yes Ive set it like in the link posted by snowbat. I put my IP there, port range 80-65534 mask 255.255.255.0 and Expedite. As I understand that should give my IP top priority for batchwing.
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Set his IP and Mac address to have a limited amount of bandwidth on all protocols. Give him 10% or so :pac:
    That would solve problem but how to do that with my router?

I can always ask him to install Netlimiter, I can olso speak with landlord - cool irish lad, renting room from him for 2yrs, we are getting on very well. But again why to go hard way if I can live in peace drinking cans with new felow and can learn to configure router ? ;) Thx again lads for reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

That would solve problem but how to do that with my router?

My router, Linksys WRT54L flashed with the Tomato firmware, allows me to create QOS profiles, then allows me to apply a profile to certain IP addresses and / or protocols. I've attached a print screen to show what it does.

If your router hasn't got that capability then there might be third party firmwares available for your router which do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    My router, Linksys WRT54L flashed with the Tomato firmware, allows me to create QOS profiles, then allows me to apply a profile to certain IP addresses and / or protocols. I've attached a print screen to show what it does.

If your router hasn't got that capability then there might be third party firmwares available for your router which do.

Let's not get too sticky here. The op probably doesn't want to flash his router (for one computability issues) and two if he screws it up he bricks it and it's gone. Probably better to see if his router HAS a QoS before you go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ive already explayned to him how to limit upload speed not to jam broad band. But he doesnt seam to care.

Screw him if that's his attitude. Disable wireless when you're using it and turn it back on when you're not. When he's sees the error of his ways you can loosen the leash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Why don't you just get the ntl, the 20 megs are dirt cheep and the service is top notch. (at least where i am in Galway)
    If you get him to chip in then everyone's happy.
    more bandwidth is never a bad thing and three megs is not enough for two people.

ps. just be firm with the sales staff, don't let them convince you to try a phone or tv package, they're not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sounds like a job for client server. Your both on P2P with the router.

Or disable DHCP , and configure a static IP on your machine. And tell him to phek off .

Advertisement