Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Cover Colour 24 Hour Poll

• 18-10-2009 10:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right... simple poll.

go with the colour wheel suggestion
    or the plain white/off white suggestion

time is dragging, this was forgotten about, quick poll to gauge views, closed 10 tomorrow.

Cover Colour? 30 votes

Colour Wheel(single colour used,but each year progress clockwise around
    0% 0 votes
    White/Off White
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Golly gosh. I don't really mind myself, so I'll go with the majority. If it's a tie I'll place the decider tomorrow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lol 50/50 so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I voted white, but I really want black !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

interesting...

as it just change the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

white!

or black

colour is soooo overrated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i'm for a light cover this year, so if thats whats voted for - please o please not RGB 255, 255, 255 consider something like RGB 253, 253, 248

and think of it in the theme of a sequence Black, White and then Colour

well Black is still an option once again i suppose, hadn't really considered it again.

the other thing about the colour wheel is which colour? :rolleyes:
    and as has been noted - time is running out!!

Fionn wrote: »

the other thing about the colour wheel is which colour?

Dark Charcoal :D;)

the other thing about the colour wheel is which colour? :rolleyes:
    and as has been noted - time is running out!!

oscarbravos call if it comes to that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sepia :D

Covey wrote: »
    Dark Charcoal :D;)

Ha haa

i think it was Henry Ford who said 'Any colour so long as it's Black'
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Black and white;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Duotone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Voted color wheel. Isn't white in the middle (ground) of the wheel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

Entire book is white, would be nice to change it up a little so went for Colour wheel. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

BLACK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

White is the new Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yay my vote just tipped the scales - temporarily I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

white is sooo this year. You can even buy white cars again after a few years of not seeing them anywhere :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Voted for white (like my car ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

white is sooo this year. You can even buy white cars again after a few years of not seeing them anywhere :cool:

Perhaps a good enough reason in itself to go against the masses :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Personally I dont think there is a choice here, if you go white than you are restrained to black and white on alternate years, colour wheels will give the opportunity to have something indiviual each year.

Personally I dont think there is a choice here, if you go white than you are restrained to black and white on alternate years, colour wheels will give the opportunity to have something indiviual each year.

Just my opinion obviously, but I think having a multitude of different colours would just start to look tacky.

In fairness, imo most people will just think that they're all just random different colours, without knowing the reason behind it.

Unless of course you put a colour wheel or something on the inside front cover with that years colour highlighted.
    But I dunno, I would be in favour of something a little less dis-jointed.

I see were back at 50/50!

I posted a ncie colour wheel in one of the threads a while back, I think if you were going on standard colours yes it would but not if you are going with a detaied wheel, I dont think this is the one I posted but similar enough, if you are going with dark shades I think it can still look stylish, i.e. the outside circle.

color-wheel.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Yeah, the outer colours defo look nicer, using the colours too close to primary / secondary would look a little baby-toyish is ya get me!

Let's hope that the contents is what most people will be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Ah but in 10 years time we'll be using super high-tech electro books anyway.

I like an yearly-alternating black/off white colour scheme.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Should have put BLACK in the poll.....

maybe all the 256 colours should have been named too!!!! :rolleyes:

how about;

bookcover09ver3.png

tbh i'm not mad about it but perhaps some variation - i still think the white has class :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

White for mise.

theres always choices!!
    where'd you get the notion that we'd be restrained to alternating B&W Theres nothing to suggest that we couldn't have have - black year 1, then white year 2 then whatever colour is chosen year 3

why would you think we'd be restrained?? Really if the membership want a mosaic or a photograph or anything else they can choose, there is no restraint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

theres always choices!!
    where'd you get the notion that we'd be restrained to alternating B&W Theres nothing to suggest that we couldn't have have - black year 1, then white year 2 then whatever colour is chosen year 3

why would you think we'd be restrained?? Really if the membership want a mosaic or a photograph or anything else they can choose, there is no restraint

I'd have a tendancy to agree. I haven't picked which option I prefer for this edition, but no matter which one ends up being flavour of the year it doesn't mean anything is written in stone at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I voted for the color wheel, but..........
    ........I would like to see a photo on the cover, ie. be more appealing to the public !

........I would like to see a photo on the cover, ie. be more appealing to the public !

Yeah, its all well and good us being arty-farty and knowing the reasoning behind it, but if the idea is to get it sold...

Yeah, its all well and good us being arty-farty and knowing the reasoning behind it, but if the idea is to get it sold...

I'm not so sure. It would obviously have to be an image from the book. And the image would have to fit aesthetically well against the colour of the book (if we do end up going colour instead of white/cream). And then who chooses the photo?

• Advertisement

The way I see it black is classy as is white but starting at black and then going to white is going from one extreme to another, introducing other colours could look messy afterwards, thats my view anyway I'm a tad fussy.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

how about;

[...]
    tbh i'm not mad about it but perhaps some variation - i still think the white has class :)
    Dude. Tell me you're joking, please...! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

hmm tough one. I didnt really want white or a colour wheel.i second dark charcoal.

Seems to me we may be asking the wrong question ? ;)

I dunno, I'd be happy with either a colour or cream/white.

• Advertisement

Seems to me we may be asking the wrong question ? ;)
    What's the right question?

Colour Wheel
    White/Cream

or

Same as last year - It appears to have some support :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I am going for the colour wheel.. White is a bit wedding albumish..

Same as last year - It appears to have some support :)
    Meh. I think that's the worst option, to the extent that I'm going to pull rank as the designer and refuse to go black again.

Don't get me wrong - I liked last year's, and am on record as saying so, but I think it's important to vary design elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think oscarBravo is right, we do need to change it from last year, and getting something in motion (like the color wheel) is also a good idea, especially as we are only at the 2nd book now.

All this (below) is irrevelant for this year..........but maybe food for thought next year !
    A week is a long time in politics and a year is a long time in photography, so.......if the designer changes it next year, I'd like to see an image on the front, yeah, I know its a difficult decision to pick one, but it could also be a pre-determined image, one that we would construct, ie. having Boards.ie done in lights, etc etc., or one picked at random from the book.

The problem I see with using the colour wheel idea, to start off a series of books, is that there's just too long between editions.

The whole idea will be lost by the next edition.

It would work great, if the book was, say a monthly publication, you could have a beautiful collection in a year, but having to wait 12 years for the same collection loses its appeal - especially when considering continuity of design.

Each design should IMO then be unique, to the year, the designer, the feeling on here at the time - and reflect all of that. Not some predetermined structure/design, that in all fairness, will most likely be abandoned after the next edition.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'll have to be honest and say I don't like the idea for an image at all, particularly not a photo. I think the minimalist cover showcases the photos inside better and isn't too "busy" from a design point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Each design should IMO then be unique, to the year, the designer, the feeling on here at the time - and reflect all of that. Not some predetermined structure/design, that in all fairness, will most likely be abandoned after the next edition.

Well this thread kind of supports what your argument in that we had a poll, the colour wheel won, but next year we might think it's a crap idea and have another poll.

ok i was going to reply to some stuff on the thread but it's a moot point now :)

anyway

the decision is for colour, fair enough!

if theres anything else to help with - i'm available!!

thanks to everyone who contributed and boo hiss to those who didn't :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Anything but white,
    A darker colour is less likely to look scruffy after a couple of years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement